back to article US government agency pops 16 years of solar weather data online

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has released 16 years' worth of GPS solar weather data gathered by the Los Alamos National Laboratory for all comers. The data, available here, comes from instruments aboard GPS satellites and other sources. Los Alamos explains the release is designed to help researchers create …

1. tony2heads
    Joke

Space weather

Everyone knows that's a Chinese Communist myth!!!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Space weather

Indeed. The sun flares when Our Lord and Savour Jesus Christ is angry with us because We Have Sinned.

This ungodly data will be struck from the website by Executive Order.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

solar weather

Let me tell you something about this so-called "solar weather." The sun is many hundreds of miles away and does not affect our weather here on earth in any way. These so-called scientists just want more funding from the taxpayers. Like it says on our money, we trust in God to protect us.

</Trump-mode>

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: solar weather

Heh, reminds me of an old Soviet-era joke:

After his successful space flight, Gagarin reports to the central committee.

After congratulating him, the committee informs Gagarin about his next mission. He is to orbit the sun.

"But comrades", says Gagarin, "the sun is much too hot, my capsule will melt!"

And the chairman smiles benignly and answers, "Comrade Gagarin, the central committee is not comprised of idiots. You'll fly at night, of course!"

1. Justicesays
        Coat

Wuss.

I'm orbiting the sun right now!

2. druck Silver badge

I think you'll find that denying the solar weather has any affect on the Earth's climate, is one of the founding tenants of the AWG theology.

1. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

druck offered, "...denying the solar weather has any affect on the Earth's climate..."

The axis of time is such a highly useful concept.

Solar weather has all the usual short term fluctuations (noise), and a longer term and rather prominent 11-year half solar cycle (or ~22 years full cycle, if magnetic polarity matters).

It's stupendously and mind-bogglingly trivial to run an FFT on the Earth's climate data, and then scroll across the resultant plots to look for peaks at 11 years and/or 22 years. It either is or isn't. There's no room for debate. None.

The axis of time. <- Greatest thing ever. Disregard it at your peril.

3. tr1ck5t3r
      Trollface

> The sun is many hundreds of miles away and does not affect our weather here on earth in any way.

That's where you are wrong.

This blog post details all the updates which explains what solar weather is all about. https://nextgrandminimum.wordpress.com/

In fact, its increasingly looking likely we will be back into a mini ice age by 2065 as the sun is becoming increasingly silent, so much so there no sun spots in Jan, bummer if you went to Iceland to see the Northern Lights during this period.

No sunspots generally causes extreme weather, the biggest risk to mankind is famine due to failed crops especially as our high crop yields today means 1 damaged field through flooding, drought, too much cold or too much heat at the wrong times will affect more families.

During the medieval ice age, some 500 years ago, its thought something like 25% of the global population died due to famine or cold.

More information can found by reading this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Ice-Age-Climate-1300-1850/dp/0465022723

Thing is 500 years ago no Met Office existed, so we A) don't really know how man made CO2 will affect the climate during this upcoming period of solar activity and B) due to the chaos effect, we simply cant model the effects to any great degree, as it would be like modelling Brownian motion on a planetary scale and no one's got a computer bid enough to handle the data!

Best we can hope for, is that more people become multi skilled in disaster recovery ie digging ditchs, learning to tie ropes, thinking for themselves instead of watching disasters unfurl on the News, whilst commerce comes up with better decentralisation for contingency planning.

Its interesting to note, when the sun goes silent on the sunspot front, the cosmic rays increase and we get also sorts of problems with space junk building up. No wonder Japan sent a garbage collector up into space, even if it did fail to deploy its fishing net!

1. vir

I see what you did there.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too late...

I once worked for a very lovely man, a Jesuit professor, who studied this very topic; as well as tropospheric effects. He was so keen that even after he retired and moved into the big Jesuit retirement home, he installed a VLF receiver to correlate space weather with propagation of USN signals.

Sadly, he died a few years ago. He was the sort that would have eaten-up this type of data.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like