back to article Hello? Police? My darknet drug market was just hacked by criminals

A popular dark net marketplace hawking drugs and stolen credit cards has opened a security bug bounty offering to pay hackers for reporting vulnerabilities. The "Hansa" marketplace announced the bounty last week inviting security researchers to disclose vulnerabilities worth up to 10 bitcoins (US$10,170) for bugs that could …

1. frank ly

Maybe it's the police who are doing the hacking

If I was a police officer, I'd be very tempted. I've no idea what the legal situation is for that.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I think the legal situation is very much a no for that kind of thing, not to mention that I do not believe that the police have the necessary chops to do it in the first place. The brightest minds do not look at a police salary and think "yes ! this is my ideal career path".

Unfortunately, some very bright minds do look at the dark side, see the money involved and think "yup, I'm going there".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe not the police, but I'm sure other departments may accidentally leak the details to them.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

"The brightest minds do not look at a police salary and think "yes ! this is my ideal career path"."

Not everyone is just a venal free-booter. You do disservice to anyone who just wants to help society in general and policemen in particular - some of them clearly brighter than you are.

2. Goldmember

Re: Maybe it's the police who are doing the hacking

I wouldn't expect police involvment in that. But FBI/ GCQH; absolutely. They have a lot of legal protection. To the point of having laws changed/ created when they do step outside of existing bounds.

2. Shane McCarrick

All of the dodgy people, websites and practices- all seem to be remodeling these days- and moving more and more of their businesses mainstream. At this rate- there isn't going to be any difference running an IT shop for Gordon's Drug Bazaar or doing outsourced tech support for a UK or Irish ISP- though I suspect your employment may actually be more secure, and better paid, doing IT work for Gordon......

As I don't habitually hang around on the darknet- I've young kids and only tend to get a few minutes each morning on the internet with my cup of coffee- perhaps its time for me to hang up my hat.

1. Triggerfish

I'm going back and reading some William Gibson.

3. emmanuel goldstein

Please fix...

The vulnerability disclosed on Reddit related to Alphabay. Agora has been offline since 2015.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Hundreds of guys depended on Paulie and he got a piece of everything they made. And it was tribute, just like in the old country, except they were doing it here in America. And all they got from Paulie was protection from other guys looking to rip them off. And that's what it's all about. That's what the FBI could never understand. That what Paulie and the organization does is offer protection for people who can't go to the cops. That's it. That's all. They're like the police department for wiseguys."

Henry Hill (Ray Liotta) in Goodfellas

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bug Bounty Convo

The way I hope it plays out...with Joe Pesci...obviously.

Hacker: Hey...er...I found one of dem bugs.

Bounty Admin: A bug huh? You didn't go rattin' to no cops did ya?

Hacker: No bawss, I didnt rat to no cops. How about that money you owe me?

Bounty Admin: Money? What money?

Hacker: The money for the bug in the system there.

Bounty Admin: I don't owe you no fuckin' money. Geddaddahere. Fuggedabatit.

Hacker: Show me the fucking money or maybe I tell the cops. This must be a joke.

Bounty Admin: Are you threatening me? A fuckin' joke? What am I a fuckin' clown?

Hacker: No bawss I was just sayin...

Bounty Admin: Do I fuckin' amuse you?

Hacker: Take it easy bawss...I just want my money.

Bounty Admin: What fuckin' money? I don't owe you no fuckin' money.

Hacker: For der bug there. Like the site says over here.

Bounty Admin: I don't see no fuckin' bug. You say anything about a bug again, maybe I send a few goons to talk it over with you. Maybe you go sleepin' with the fuckin' fishes.

Hacker: Alright bawss I'm sorry.

Bounty Admin: Oh you're fuckin' sorry now? You come here talk about bugs and try and fuck me in the ass and you're sorry?

Hacker: I'm sorry bawss.

Bounty Admin: Now you made me have to teach you a fuckin' lesson. I can't be seen to tolerate wise guys like you. You fucked me in the ass.

Hacker: Bawss, calm down, I said I'm fuckin' sorry.

Bounty Admin: Look at this guy over here he fucked me in the ass and says hes fuckin' sorry. Nobody fucks me in the ass. *Pulls gun and shoots hacker in the face*

1. Triggerfish

Re: Bug Bounty Convo

More likely.

"We found this bug."

"OK here's your bounty, let everyone else know i play straight"

There's a lot of credit in being trustworthy, honour amongst thieves and all that.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Bug Bounty Convo

@Triggerfish

So you're a wiseguy huh?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon