back to article Trump's immigration clampdown has Silicon Valley techies fearing for their house prices

America's technology world is still trying to sort out the kerfuffle caused by President Trump's anti-refugee and seemingly anti-Muslim immigration crackdown. Some engineers aren't just worried about losing their residency rights – they're also concerned about financial ruin. Earlier this week, an Apple staffer suggested to …

Page:

1. cd

Good to hear that the realtors have the best interests of the nation at heart. As always. Best people on the planet if you have money, do anything for you.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. a_yank_lurker

Boo Hoo

The SF and Silicon Valley housing prices have more to do with the local zoning and refusal to allow building of adequate housing. The housing prices there are basically unaffordable for most whether renting or owning. They should be worried about a price bubble bursting because the underlying factors indicate that market is unsustainable. I can live reasonably comfortably on very good US salary in many US cities but can not afford those prices. Other than the cachet of working in Silicon Valley there is no reason for me to even consider taking a job there unless the company allows 100% teleworking.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Boo Hoo

Especially since Silicon Valley played no small part in the rise of Trump himself. Yes its quite some feat to build a multi billion dollar company that will fit in a small office but then again not everyone everywhere will share your love of disruption and broccoli pizza.

3. Mystic Megabyte
    Mushroom

Stalin killed ~20 million of his own people :(

I would not bet on house prices increasing. An interesting quote from Bannon would seem to indicate that there will soon be empty houses everywhere.

I already live on a remote island (elevation >20mtrs) so I'm just going to stock up on fishing tackle.

Good luck everyone, we will all need some soon.

Edit: forgot to mention that Bannon has a sort of reverse Dorian Grey effect. In his attic there's a painting of a handsome young fellow :)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/08/22/steve-bannon-trump-s-top-guy-told-me-he-was-a-leninist.html

1. Baldy50

Re: Stalin killed ~20 million of his own people :(

The DB, but LOL anyway, Taaa!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: America killed over 20 million people in 37 nations

The real evil empire

3. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

MM, I looked at your link trashing Bannon and it's just what I expected, an unsupported smear by one guy that claims outrageous stuff. Anyone can do that sort of thing, but most of us have too much integrity.

This Radosh fellow's only contact with Bannon was at a book signing. Talk about insider info! Radosh claims he called Bannon about the hit piece he was going to write on the guy, and Bannon couldn't even remember him (this according to the smearer). Is this what you consider worthy of link spreading? Really? You need to get off that island of yours a little more often.

One other thing; That trash article doesn't accept comments. I wouldn't either if I were Radosh, because the thread would be filled by spittle-flecked leftists like him, but without his ability to appear rational in print. Also there would be plenty of people pointing out the absurdity of his claims, and that would never do.

1. Mystic Megabyte
        Linux

Re: Stalin killed ~20 million of his own people :( @BJ

>>You need to get off that island of yours a little more often.

After a quick count I seem to have been to 26 different countries, some multiple times. Other than the UK I have lived and worked in four of them. My current work takes me around the UK, sometimes I'm up to a month away in a particular location.

Anyway I now see that Trump has helped his rich friends get richer. Do not be fooled by the "Trickle down" theory, Thatcher already did that in the UK. The money never gets to the workers at the bottom of the pile, it goes sideways into a tax haven.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2017/02/trump-plans-gut-dodd-frank-because-his-friends-just-cant-borrow-money

1. Nolveys
          Childcatcher

Re: Stalin killed ~20 million of his own people :( @BJ

Do not be fooled by the "Trickle down" theory, Thatcher already did that in the UK. The money never gets to the workers at the bottom of the pile

You thought it was money that was supposed to trickle down?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

MM, I looked at your link trashing Bannon and it's just what I expected, an unsupported smear by one guy that claims outrageous stuff.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

4. jedisnon

Hmmmm...according to Snopes they can't find evidence for this exact quote, but they did find evidence of plenty of other anti-establishment statements.

Then there is the small matter of him being a white-supremacist who thinks that satan and Darth Vader are good role-models, so while you may disagree with the Lenin quote, your defence of him suggests a certain lack of objectivity.

Perhaps the so-called "president" should stop listening to such a hateful figure.

5. Alt C

BJ - like the spittle flecked rant that you posted a few days ago that the mods felt needed to be deleted?

BTW why did Trump feel the need to twit about the Louvre but not the right wing nut job in Canada? kind of hints at his agenda don't you think - oh and the small fact since 9/11 more Americans have been killed by Right wing extremists lets put that on the back burner as well eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> "BJ - like the spittle flecked rant that you posted a few days ago that the mods felt needed to be deleted?"

I told Chirgwin where he could put his baseless but vicious racism charge against President Trump, and he deleted it. If you want to call that a "rant," that's your concern. You are of a kind with him, apparently.

I've been instructed here that this is "just the way we Brits do politics" but I'm not buying that line. It always seems that conservatives seem to be the target of media's acid on both side of the pond, and for the same reason; The Left controls most of the media. Bias is as bias does.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The left controls most of the media? Not in the UK. If you think that's the case you are delusional, or unable to see past the nose on the end of your face, has the 10 gallon hat slipped over your eyes?

2. HausWolf

The most interesting thing is the fellow from the Louvre incident is from Egypt, a country not on trumps banned list. But it is a country he has a business interests in.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mao: amateur

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I already live on a remote island (elevation >20mtrs) so I'm just going to stock up on fishing tackle.

The entire island has an elevation of greater than 20m above sea level?

Pretty impressive.

1. asdf
        Trollface

>The entire island has an elevation of greater than 20m above sea level?

Larry Niven's Plateau? Of course then it would be km(s) above sea level.

2. jake Silver badge

"Pretty impressive."

Not really. There are plenty of bodies of water with surfaces greater than 20m above sea level. Many of these have lots of islands in them. Some are even habitable.

3. Mystic Megabyte

Re: Stalin killed ~20 million of his own people :( @AC

I live here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/11940936/Mysterious-floating-city-appears-in-the-sky-over-China.html

4. Stevie

Bah!

Goes utterly bonkers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

Stevie beat me to it -- unless the new president goes utterly bonkers?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I see Trump being a laser-focused conservative leader. That's "bonkers" in your book I guess.

On the other hand, the Leftists of the world really ARE going bonkers. I guess that when you believe your PC ideology is going to be ascendant forever, and suddenly it all comes apart like cheap toilet paper it is a bit shocking, isn't it. ;-/

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

I see Trump being a laser-focused conservative leader

Laser focused on his interests - yep, that's for sure. Not anything else.

I will believe there is anything else when the visa ban includes Saudi Arabia.

1. kmac499

'I see Trump being a laser-focused conservative leader'

No he's a CEO and as IT workers a lot of us will have to cone into direct contact with people like him.

(Being a techy gets you in the office of people well above your pay grade even if only tro turn their PC on) IMHO some CEO's are not people you would want to spend an evening down the pub with. They can be inflexible thin skinned bullies with on over inflated opinion of their own abilities, Donald is definitely from that end of the gene pool.

Which means that he will be laser focused until he doesn't get his own way, Then he will blame everyone else and move on.. The huge difference any CEO has to cope with when moving to a public office job is that they cannot fire their peers. In the UK a prime minister can sack a minister but they remain MPs. In the US Donald will come up against Congress, He is not used to people standing up to him in public and hates being made fun of.

Which is why I sign off All Hail El Douché

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I will believe there is anything else when the visa ban includes Saudi Arabia.

Why would the ban include Saudi Arabia? It's not a war-torn country with a strong ISIL presence, is it?

Or are you so deeply entrenched in identity politics that you can't see past the "majority muslim" narrative that the BBC seem to needlessly tack on to every mention of the affected countries?

1. DavCrav

"Why would the ban include Saudi Arabia? It's not a war-torn country with a strong ISIL presence, is it?"

You mean like Iran? Give over, he means because Saudi Arabia is the origin of most of the 9/11 bombers, and the origin of Wahhabism, one of the main causes of Islamic extremism.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

The point is, SA is not a source of Islamic refugees at the moment.

1. hplasm
                  Meh

"The point is, SA is not a source of Islamic refugees at the moment."

Nor are they a sink for any, either. Funny , that.

Once hell freezes over, I assume they will take some in?

2. DavCrav

"The point is, SA is not a source of Islamic refugees at the moment."

The point is, Trump says it's because of terrorism, and Saudi Arabia has a track record of financing and producing terrorism that impacts on US soil, something that all the countries on the list don't. So something doesn't add up.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

"The point is, Trump says it's because of terrorism, "

The Obama administration specifically cited these countries because "terrorism". Obama was personally, "muslim friendly" and therefore could not bring himself to act on this. There is also the issue of several of these countries not having systems in place that allow acceptable vetting of their citizens.

None of this is not a secret - unless you only watch MSNBC and CNN

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

It doesn't matter even a little bit, what you postulate might possibly have been the effect of the immigration EO had it been in effect at some time in the past. It wasn't, so get over it.

The objective of the EO is forward looking! So using the best available information (from the previous administration) about issues with terrorism and refugees and states with poor internal tracking systems etc., SCOTUS looked in his crystal ball and said "if I stop people from these 7 places, I improve my chances of stopping future terrorists".

Ask yourself how many of the 9/11 hijackers had valid visas and where might the next batch come from?

Now, one could easily argue that Saudi Arabia should have been on the list for past "misdeeds" and current covert and overt support for terrorists (I would do so myself). They aren't just now, but it is not improbable in the future. Watch and learn

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

I think you meant POTUS (President of the United States) vs. SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States)

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Apologies. Correct.

2. jake Silver badge

POTUS vs. SCOTUS is coming. It's inevitable. I've got the popcorn stockpiled & plenty of beer in the cooler for that one.

2. Alt C

So Laser focused he still thinks voter fraud on an unprecedented scale took place because he can't stand having lost the popular vote?

So Laser focused he took time out at a prayer meeting to discuss the ratings for the apprentice?

yup looks like he's totally focused on being a President and not massaging his own ego.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Well, first, the order has been rescinded by the courts...

So at least for the moment, you don't have to worry about people not being able to get back in the country.

Second, you are talking immigrants/legal residents/refugees from Iran, Sudan, Iraq, Syria, Libya and a few other countries. That's what? 1% of the population in Silicon Valley? Maybe 2%? Hardly enough to send the housing market into free fall.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Well, first, the order has been rescinded by the courts...

That's not the problem - the problem is the arbitrary nature of the order, no details, no legal opinion, no rules.

Did he intend this to stop British holiday makers in Costa Rica being able to fly home via Florida? Did it apply to US citizens? What about joint Canadian/US citizens? Nobody knows - it was upto individual officers to make a ruling.

Who knows what the next arbitrary ruling will say? All muslims on the no-fly list? Or just US citizens born in certain countries, or perhaps all foreign born Americans?

Or perhaps merely companies employing foreign born or muslims will be banned from government contracts or just defense contracts. So perhaps firms will have to start letting them go.

The childish reaction to the court ruling might make people worry. What if the next executive order is interpreted by some heavily armed branch of government as a "who will rid me of this turbulent priest"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Upvoted because "who will rid me of this turbulent priest"

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Megaphone

Rescinded? HELL NO! It's just a SINGLE SOLITARY ACTIVIST JUDGE who's too big for his britches, doing what LEFTIES have been doing for DECADES: using courts to LEGISLATE when they can't get what they want through NORMAL means.

Thing is, it will FAIL, because the LAW as passed by Congress gives the president the RIGHT to determine who gets to come into the country by setting policy.

And it affects so FEW legitimate people ANYWAY, silicon valley as a whole just doesn't have "standing" in this.

BOO HOO HOO indeed!

1. Alfred

The LEFTIES are having the LAW applied. If you don't like the rule of law, that's your preference, but don't twist the facts to enable your double-think.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Law? To make the ruling the district judge had to convince himself that the State of Washington has suffered "irreparable harm" due to Trump's EO. No such harm has actually occurred, thus his ruling is a contorted mess and WILL be overruled. Just a matter of time.

It's not a very good idea to allow single district judges to overrule a President in matters of national security. If it can happen once, it will start happening constantly, and then we're living under a tyranny of unelected judges. That would be bad.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The LEFTIES are having the LAW applied. If you don't like the rule of law, that's your preference, but don't twist the facts to enable your double-think."

He is not twisting the facts actually. He is right - 30 seconds with Google would have told you this.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1182

"(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline."

2. strum

>It's just a SINGLE SOLITARY ACTIVIST JUDGE

...who was appointed by GW Bush. You are a prat sometimes, Bob.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It doesn't matter who appointed him.

Injunctions only hear one side of the story. The government have not had "their day in court" yet.

It will be overturned on appeal.

6. jake Silver badge

Speaking as a ...

... Silly Con Valley native (born in Stanford Hospital,; K-12 mostly Palo Alto; Berkeley & Stanford for my first degrees), and a so-called "tech worker", I wouldn't live in that hell-hole rat-race if the realtors were paying me for the house! It just isn't worth it.

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

"sell his house and make a profit"

That sums up Silicon Valley housing well - Not buying a house to live in but to make a profit. Investors buy old houses at inflated costs, rent them without performing any maintenance, then sell them at an even more inflated price. Normal people don't buy a $1.5 million dollar fixer-upper shack, so it's just investors selling houses back and forth to each other and telling each other how rich they're going to be. It would make a lot of people happy if this pyramid scheme failed spectacularly.

1. Aitor 1

Re: "sell his house and make a profit"

AS long as people continue buying tulip bulbs, all will be ok.

Ups, sorry, wrong bubble ;)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like