back to article Who do you want to be Who? VOTE for the BBC's next Time Lord

Peter Capaldi will demateralise as the 12th Time Lord this Christmas after four years. Capaldi was cast as Doctor Who by franchise owner the BBC in 2013 but will bow out with a regeneration during this year's Christmas special. Regenerations are always a reflective and throat-tightening event. Thanks, BBC – there goes my …

Page:

1. m0rt

Tom Wrigglesworth.

Should be him.

1. Steve Crook

Tom Wrigglesworth

Doesn't exist. He's an actor playing a part written for him by a 75 year old woman living in Letchworth. She doesn't like Dr Who.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Childcatcher

Jim Jefferies or Frankie Boyle.

2. EddieD

Not that bothered..

I stopped watching the show so many years ago that it's irrelevant - but given the BBC's current stance on positive discrimination, I'd say pretty certainly a woman, and regardless of gender, probably of non-caucasian origin.

White male? Forget about it.

1. Known Hero
      Unhappy

Re: Not that bothered..

Not sure who downvoted you, but the sad reality is you're probably right :/

I really wouldn't care if they did though because at the end of the day it genuinely doesn't matter and the role can easily allow it, but all the Fucking Fanfare that goes with it just demeans every single step of progress we have made in equality ......

1. getHandle

Noma Dumezweni!

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

If they were gonna do that , they'd have done it last time - it was only 4 years ago

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They've set the stage for a woman now, what with the General being revealed as always having been a woman apart from the one incarnation we first saw him in.

Still, what the hell, Patterson Joseph this time for sure.

1. ThomH

Joseph is tied up with US-based time travel right now, alas.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
          Coat

They've set the stage for a woman now

Being the BBC (Balding Broadcasting Corporation), Claire Balding will be the next Doctor

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Being the BBC (Balding Broadcasting Corporation), Claire Balding will be the next Doctor

I can actually see that working.

2. VinceH

"If they were gonna do that , they'd have done it last time - it was only 4 years ago"

There was speculation at the time, and much objection with it, as I recall.

I think that's why they reincarnated The Master as a woman - it makes it that much easier (read: will cause less objection) if they now reincarnate The Doctor as one.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Dr Who plots and other series got much worse, with more Feminism and other Frankfurt School cultural Marxism, because the BBC went even further to the Left and dinosaur irrelevance. I can't think of anything worthwhile from the BBC now.

The BBC and big name TV has always been about control, not entertainment, so smarter people stop watching TV and most other entertainment/news programming.

Professional video trailers and programming often include hypnotic moving symbolic imagery (Sigel Magick), and weave destructive cultural conditioning into the content; this is dangerous because this 'entertainment' can enable direct programming of your sub-conscious, which can be difficult to eject later, even "Cold Turkey" e.g. the annoying habit of using brand names instead of generic names for things/activities after exposure to advertising.

1. Afernie

"Professional video trailers and programming often include hypnotic moving symbolic imagery (Sigel Magick), and weave destructive cultural conditioning into the content; this is dangerous because this 'entertainment' can enable direct programming of your sub-conscious,"

Seek medical help.

2. Alfred

"because the BBC went even further to the Left"

People with the other set of narrow-minded prejudices insist it's biased to the right. You, and others like you, just see what you want to see.

4. Afernie
      Facepalm

"White male? Forget about it."

I know, I know, there, there. It's always disappointing when white males are overlooked. Other than the last twelve f***ing times out of twelve obviously. Get over it.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think Gina Torres would do nicely then!

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Marina Sirtis has been campaigning for that role.

3. dvd

Andrew Scott (Moriarty out of Sherlock).

He'd do a great job.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Isn't he The Master?

4. toxicdragon

Why not Richard Ayoade

1. LewisRage

according to the article,

not black enough.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Can't really imagine him running, can you?

3. MJI Silver badge

Baggage

Same issue as Sylvester McCoy

Will always be Maurice Moss

Just like Wurzel Gummage is Doc Who

4. englishr
      IT Angle

"Why not Richard Ayoade"

Too tnetennbulous?

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Thumb Up

"I came here to kill Daleks and drink milk, and I've just finished my milk."

5. Gseybarnes

I also think it should be Richard ayoade as he's a big name right now and I think he would bring something new to the role of the doctor

5. Captain Hogwash

Gary Newman?

Gary Numan, surely?

1. Black Rat

Re: Gary Newman?

oh I don't know I found this pic of Gary Newman with a companion

http://www.eonline.com/photos/19432/emmys-2016-party-pics/719793

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Gary Oldman

3. Pedigree-Pete
      Happy

Well Dr Whos friends ARE electric so it could fit, Oh wait, not THAT Gary Newman. Shame, could have been fun. PP

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's think big

Peter Dinklage for the Doctor!

1. SteveK

Re: Let's think big

I was thinking Warwick Davis - he was in Willow, several of the Harry Potters and all three Star Wars trilogies amongst others, so he's got fantasy/sci-fi credibility. And it's his birthday today, so why not.

1. TRT Silver badge

He was also The Emperor in that Cyberman episode. But.... No. He's a great actor, but I think it would limit the stories a bit.

1. Mark York 3 Silver badge
          Joke

He would be like the Third Doctor, stuck largely with a inoperable TARDIS (Inoperable because he can't reach the controls console).

2. Anonymous Custard

And it would fit with people who've had parts in the show before becoming the doctor (Capaldi, Baker mk 2...) Would certainly be interesting to see how they redesigned the TARDIS console room around that one too...

1. NightFox

Good point - I'm pretty sure being the last of the Timelords and President of the Earth doesn't exempt anyone from DDA. The present incarnation probably has a legal obligation to modify the TARDIS appropriately to avoid discriminating against future companions, or even future regenerations. At least he'll probably get a blue badge out of it.

3. ravenviz Silver badge
        Coat

He might take the stories to new heights...

7. WonkoTheSane

Alternative choice

I find it "interesting" that Kris Marshall announced he was leaving "Death in Paradise" so soon after Peter Capaldi's announcement.

1. Phil W

Re: Alternative choice

Some news outlets have suggested that to. But frankly I think he'd be a bad choice, however it did inspire me to think of a really good choice. Robert Lindsay.

2. John Sager

Not Doctorish enough. I thought about Mel & Sue - the idea of the regeneration going wrong & producing a fission would be interesting. But there are better pairs - thinks:

Chuckle Brothers? - no!

Jedward? - kill me for that thought.

Rowan Atkinson & Tony Robinson? - worth a second thought.

1. The First Dave

Don't think the Cheeky Girls are committed to anything just now...

3. BebopWeBop
      Happy

Well thar could be correlation only. I think DiP is one of those thing you do to have a good time in Guadeloupe (?) and I do find it amusing enough to enjoy over a late beer. He might just want a little new - but D Who of late has had scripts rather weaker than anything I - and lets face it, the resident DS has always been smarter/prettier than anything in recent Who

8. Known Hero

Absolutley Brilliant

I now have a scene in my head of Clarkson screaming MORE POWEEEER whilst hitting random stuff in the Tardis !!!

No...... he would make a horrible Dr, but my god it would be funny for a Christmas special.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Trollface

Re: Absolutley Brilliant

How hard could it be?

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

They could have The Doctor regenerate into Clarkson, be immediately killed by falling masonry, and then regenerate again.

1. ThomH

Just do a Never Mind the Buzzcocks/etc and line up a series of single-episode guest Doctors?

1. JDX Gold badge

Actually single-episode spin-offs is a wonderful idea. Probably best doing it as a separate thing not trying to force it into the story arc though... unless he somehow gets some affliction which means he has Uncontrollable Regeneration Syndrome

Seeing different actors would be great although it does take some time to feel out the role I suppose.

2. Captain DaFt

"Just do a Never Mind the Buzzcocks/etc and line up a series of single-episode guest Doctors?"

There's actually merit in the idea.

Just have a regeneration be unstable, causing his mannerisms and looks to constantly shift.*

Then when an actor 'clicks' with the viewers, <plotdevice> makes him the doctor until the next regen, and lather, rinse, repeat.

*And why not? They've already admitted they make it up as they go along anyway.

2. getHandle

Nah - killed by a falling caravan!

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like