back to article Broadband internet in New York is so garbage, the state's suing Charter

New York's Attorney General is suing cable giant Charter on claims of false advertising of its internet speeds. AG Eric Schneiderman says Charter defrauded New York state residents when it promised internet speeds and reliability it was not able to deliver. He is seeking damages likely to reach billions of dollars. The …

1. cyke1

This sounds like they are already working ahead and getting a plan in place for when they lose federal funding.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: A megacorp lied? GASP!

Nope, in case you didn't actually read the article, this isn't the Feds. This is the state att'y general, and they're usually trying to be upwardly mobile, hungry and willing to grab scalps to show off for political purposes. They actually do get things accomplished.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like curbing state AG powers will be moving up Bannon^W Trump's to do list.

4. redpawn

Try to find the non-introductory prices

In addition to the often poor data rates you can't find out ahead of time what the service will cost you after the intro period is over. They got my 80+ year old parents to take 300Mb service. They never use more than 12Mb so data costs go from $60 to $110 per month. The long term prices are not available online.

Often I can't get a good 6Mb video stream with 50Mb service with a wired connection from our Time Warner provider. And when I went from their old 24Mb modem to their new 300Mb modem the latency went way up and still couldn't get good streaming. Bought a $40 one to save $10 per month and the latency problems went away though streams after about 4pm often stutter.

1. ma1010
      Flame

Re: Try to find the non-introductory prices

So TRUE! And that's why I still use DSL. It works well enough for me, and the cost is much more reasonable. I have no contract, and I don't have to worry about giant price hikes when the "introductory period" runs out.

I say kudos to the AG for going after these crooks. First Charter, next Comcast, I hope.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Try to find the non-introductory prices

An elderly relative is with a telecoms provider for both Broadband and phone but has a separate line for each. The broadband line also has the alarm system on it so needs to be separate. The telecoms company called a few times last Autumn and attempted to sell an expensive unlimited calls package. There was a reason in June/July why they'd made a very large number of calls but that was a one off. My relative always told them no they didn't want the package thanks very much every time the call came.

They go away in October for some winter sun and let someone else in the family borrow their house whilst they were away. They got the November bill and discovered the unlimited calls package was on both lines so that was another nearly £700 a year. Called up the telecoms company and asked who authorised this package because it wasn't them. They mentioned the house borrowing relations had agreed to it and it was a years contract. Relative says please show me in writing where I authorised someone other than me to make changes to my account. They obviously can't and have cancelled the contract. They've yet to admit that they need to pay back the month already paid for.

5. RichardBarrell
    Happy

The sub heading made me giggle. Well done. ♥

1. Jim Mitchell

The problem with the sub heading is that New York City is the "Big Apple". It is the state Attorney General who is complaining. New York State's nickname is the "Empire State".

6. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Telecoms company failing to deliver?

on promises made?

Business as usual then.

Move along now. This is not news.

1. kain preacher

Re: Telecoms company failing to deliver?

No some actually in the gov doing some thing about is the news.

7. Mark Zip
    Megaphone

PSA: Buy your own modem and avoid their horrible one

Here's the help page which gives the updated list of DOCSIS 3.0 modems that are "approved" for use with TWC/Spectrum:

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html (TWC)

Interesting that there is no note about no longer having to pay rent for their horrible modem.

Perhaps they have, indeed, made all modem rentals free?

I've had my own for a while, but when first I bought it I was paying, I think, $9.00 monthly for the modem.

Having your own modem and router improves TWC/Spectrum speeds, a lot.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: PSA: Buy your own modem and avoid their horrible one

No, modem rentals are NOT free, as I just switched to my own modem/router myself 2 months ago, and am saving $10/mo

I have Brighthouse/TimeWarner/Spectrum (or whateverthef*ck they're called this week) in Florida

Going from their crap to an Arris SB6141 modem & Linksys WRT1200AC with openWRT installed was simply eyewatering.

I did have trouble getting the standard package without the stupid pricing, but I kept hammering the salesperson with "now this isn't going to change in 12 months, right?!?" until they stopped going "erm, yes, it will"

I switched from AT&T about 6 months ago.

I'm on the 25mb/sec package and I have no problem with YouTube.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How much did you laughed when you learned that most yanks RENT their modem.

1. localzuk Silver badge

The idea of renting a modem is hilarious profiteering really!

2. Swarthy
        FAIL

How much did you laughed when you learned that most yanks RENT their modem.
        Why? They've managed to force us to Rent the set-top boxes for cable, why would a cable modem be any different?

In fact, the sales people won't even mention that it's an option to supply your own, or ask you if you already have one - they just include it in the package. And, if you happen to ask about using one you own, you will usually get a comment about how they can't guarantee that it will work - you should just use theirs.

That's in addition to the horriffic rates we get charged for broadband. So yeah - Craptastic

8. Herby

Reason for lawsuit??

Perhaps the data rate in Trump Tower was a bit off. You never know....

1. kain preacher

Re: Reason for lawsuit??

Actually the NY AG loves to sue companies.

9. Oengus

Address the issues

Charter says it is already looking to address the issues cited in the filing.

They are going to change their advertising from "xxMpbs" to "up to xxMbps".

I have ADSL2+ here that is advertised as "up to 25Mbps" and I am lucky to get 8. The ISPs and Telcos use excuses like distance from the exchange and quality of the line. I have yet to find anyone, no matter how close they are to the exchange, that gets anywhere near the advertised ADSL2+ speeds...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Address the issues

ADSL will always be up to, it's the nature of the technology, they fixed it by using newer technology.

If you want 24Mb then you need fibre... ISPs should never say unlimited, but it would be dumbing things down if they were to have to guarantee ADSL speeds (and its not like that would make them magically attain than promised speed).

10. Bou Te

Loving FIOS

Pay for 125 Mb

Regularly get in excess of 125 Mb

1. Jim Mitchell

Re: Loving FIOS

Apparently Verizon FIOS actually provisions connections (below some xxx Mb/s tier) as your paid-for-bandwidth + N Mb/s to allow for video-on-demand. So you can exceed your nominal bandwidth.

11. lglethal Silver badge
    Joke

"Charter made significant commitments to New York State as part of our merger with Time Warner Cable in areas of network investment, broadband deployment and offerings, customer service and jobs," the cable giant says.

What they actually wanted to say "Hey we made significant committments, but no-one ever said we had to actually live up the them. This is just totally unfair!!!"

12. Swarthy
    Pirate

Have I heard that before?

Charter says it is already looking to address the issues cited in the filing.

So, they will promise (again) to replace the modems and upgrade their infrastructure. The real question is, will they keep those promises this time?

13. Nocroman

It's not just in New York. My charter supplied internet here in Michigan has been getting worse every year. Yet Charter keeps asking for more money. Increases in speed have not been upgraded in years. If you want faster speeds you have to pay through the nose for it and they only give us faster download with that price, never upload. Their lines keep going down and when their internet and my phone go down as I have both with CI get in touch with Charter via my wife's mobile phone and Charter always tell me they have not heard from anyone else that their network is down. So it must be my equipment. After explaining to Charters rude and unbelieving support person for ten minutes they finally tell me that now they are receiving calls from other Charter customers and now they will start the process of fixing the problem. I hate being told my call telling them their system is down is not valid and they have to have more people calling in before they will take my word that the system actually is down. If there were another cable company in my area, I would switch in a heartbeat.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon