back to article Parliamentary Trump-off? Pro-Donald petition passes 100k signatures

Proving that democracy is just fine in the internet era, a petition demanding that Donald Trump should be invited to make a state visit to the UK has passed 100,000 signatures – passing the threshold to be "considered" for a Parliamentary debate. The petition was set up in response to a much more popular one demanding that …

Page:

1. codejunky Silver badge

Hmm

Cant say I expected that but good on em if just to make a point.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm

Signed it just for the goof I suspect. Watching trump grabbing Liz by the c*nt is superb popcorn time.

1. Blank Reg

Re: Hmm

I think he should be encouraged to visit as many countries as possible, but just before he lands laws should be passed banning his entry so that he's not allowed off the plane and must turn around and leave immediately after refueling, Actually the refueling is optional :)

1. sabroni Silver badge
  2. Vinyl-Junkie
    Holmes

By definition...

...debating whether the Trumpness should be allowed a state visit will debate both sides of the argument.

So this petition is a total waste of time (or possibly even more of a total waste of time given that debates on petitions are not binding on Parliament) and was apparently signed by over 100,000 people who don't actually know what a debate is...

Not to mention that the petition is that DT should be invited for a state visit. Something that has already happened...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: By definition...

hahahahaha

I've not recently heard of conservatives trying to deplatform people they don't like.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I've not recently heard of conservatives trying to deplatform people they don't like.

The executive order that bans support for services that mention abortion as an option for birth control is the same thing, but worse because it means women will die in childbirth, have unsafe abortions and there will be loads more unwanted children.

Or how about Russia's "No promotion of homosexuality" legislation, that conservative enough for you? Not providing a platform for someone is no big deal compared to outlawing their sexuality.

Stop trying to make out the left are the only side that have unreasonable arseholes.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I've not recently heard of conservatives trying to deplatform people they don't like.

Lets conflate some more issues.

More exciting deplatforming going on.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Lets conflate some more issues.

Or we could just carry on pretending that not inviting someone to speak is a massive violation of their free speech rights.

You have a right to free speech, but that doesn't mean I have to invite you in and listen to you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It seems so fitting that the pro-Trump petition is based on a straw man.

1. Warm Braw

I hadn't previously considered that his odd hairstyle might simply be explained by a tear in the hessian...

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

It could be Russia, but it could also be China. It could also be lots of other people. It also could be somebody sitting on their bed in the White House that weighs 400 pounds, OK? You don’t know who signed a pro-Trump petition.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It also could be somebody sitting on their bed in the White House that weighs 400 pounds, OK"

I thought the White House would have weighed more than that.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

All the hot air in Washington keeps it surprisingly light as long as all the doors are closed. It is anchored down to keep it from blowing away when the president hosts a G20 state dinner.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"were 3,000 signatures from Germany, 6,700 from France – and three from the Solomon Islands"

I guess there are possibly that many Brits currently abroad with an opinion. Students? Though if the signatories give their name as Bertrand or Schneider then some virtue-signalling may be going on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The IP on my signature

will show up as being in Germany. I use a VPN for all my traffic. The endpoint is in Berlin.

I did give my UK post code when signing the No petition.

As for claims that most signatories came from places with large student populations or lefty luvvies, I'm hardly that. I'm a pensioner and generally on the right of centre and think the Corbyn is a joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The IP on my signature

Similarly for me. Since the passing of the Snoopers Charter all my web browsing is via a proxy in Eastern Europe.

2. Dr_N
      Trollface

"I guess there are possibly that many Brits currently abroad with an opinion. "

If the UK had (or was capable or creating) a proper border control system they'd know exactly how many citizens were outside the country.

1. cantankerous swineherd

a "proper border control system" implies a totalitarian state.

1. Dr_N

... and that is why the UK will never, ever secure its borders or have functioning immigration control.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We should have a third petition asking for Brian Blessed to be invited to the event.

Trump's main asset is being the loudest voice in the room.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"We should have a third petition asking for Brian Blessed to be invited to the event."

And recite Ozymandias; that's what that wall puts me in mind of.

"'...

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away."

That should be read at the ceremony appointing any political leader.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I will confess I was thinking more of the video where he shouts "You great steaming pillock!" but that's good as well.

2. Triggerfish

We should have a third petition asking for Brian Blessed to be invited to the event."

And recite Ozymandias; that's what that wall puts me in mind of

OK we need a petition to have Brian Blessed make this announcement as he walks into every engagement.

3. dajames

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'

Rather ironic that the Ozymandias of Shelley's verse was none other than the Egyptian Pharaoh Rameses II. You know, the guy whose works include the temple at Abu Simbel, which was moved in the 1960s (so that it wouldn't become submerged under Lake Nasser after the building of the Aswan High Dam) at a cost to UNESCO of some $40 million.

The remains described in the Greek poem upon which Shelley based his work were those of a different (and rather more ruined) temple: Rasmes's mortuary temple at Thebes; but even so, methinks Rameses II is one of a very few people in history who had a right to say "look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" and not be laughed off the stage.

7. Ilsa Loving

Classic Trump supporters?

Lets see...

Spelling mistakes... check.

Couldn't be bothered to read/comprehend the thing their railing about.... check

Insisting that their ignorant strawman viewpoint is just as deserving of consideration as one that has been well thought out and considered... check

And then these people get mad when they are called out for their buffoonery.

What's the quote? "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

1. Stumpy

Re: Classic Trump supporters?

they're ... sorry, but if you're going all Grammar Nazi on them, at least get your copy proofread. Folks will think you're a Register staff writer otherwise...

1. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

@Stumpy: Or worse. A Daily Mail "jernalest"

2. John Arthur
      FAIL

"Lets see...

Couldn't be bothered to read/comprehend the thing their railing about.... check"

It's 'they're' not 'their' if we are talking about spelling

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Forgot one:

Trying to fit their rant in 140 characters: check

4. YARR

Insisting that their ignorant strawman viewpoint is just as deserving of consideration as one that has been well thought out and considered... check

Remember who started the petition after the Brexit vote? This petition could well have been created by false-opposition to reinforce their own sterotypes and divert from valid arguments. There was an attempt to submit another petition but it was rejected as a duplicate (though technically it was not).

The list of countries facing immigration restrictions looks more like those least co-operative with the US, rather than where most terrorists come from.

1. Red Bren
        Facepalm

"The list of countries facing immigration restrictions looks more like those least co-operative with the US, rather than where most terrorists come from."

So Trump has just slammed the door shut on any Iranian dissidents who might want to overthrow a regime that the US doesn't like.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Megaphone

"This petition could well have been created by false-opposition to reinforce their own sterotypes and divert from valid arguments."

I'd say that about the ORIGINAL petition, the 1.5 million anti-Trump signatures from an astro-turf (aka "fake grass roots") well paid group of sock puppets for George Soros, and/or the left in general, as well as the arrogant/elitist HOWLER MONKEYS that sling poo and downvote as much as possible to make it SEEM as if they're significant, when they're not. [maybe they're just bored]

The thing is, conservatives tend to be busy running their OWN lives [not trying to manage EVERYBODY ELSE through INTIMIDATION and BULLYING and MEANINGLESS DEMONSTRATIONS] and as a result, don't have THEIR views being echoed on the evening news. "If it bleeds, it leads" so guess what gets the media attention? The anti-Trump viewpoint, that's what! And it's in line with their (the lamestream media's) attention, and creates controversy, and they quietly profit from it all.

it's like that bunch of B.I.itchy ladies that showed up to protest (in various places) on the day after Trump's inauguration, wearing pink cat-ear hats (read: neko mimi cosplay gear), calling them "pussy hats" in reference to a comment Trump made one time when the camera was rolling, complete with a laughable speech by Madonna and other performers, venting their vaginas over Trump's off-color comment, the kind of comment that *MOST* men have made at one point or another, but won't admit to because their lady friends and/or wives would make them sleep in the bathtub for having said such a thing at one time in their lives. Because, they don't have a sense of humor any more!

*cough* - well, now I'm out of breath.

HOWLER MONKEYS. that's who signed the original petition! The response was just a tiny fraction of the people who are OUTRAGED ENOUGH at the fake "popularity" of the anti-Trump crowd, speaking out and saying HEY, WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE (or its equivalent), being SO tired of the one-sidedness and HOWLER MONKEY bullying with the downvotes and the sock puppets and other well-known (lame) techniques of trying to seem BIGGER than they are.

1. Jeremy Puddleduck

You, Bob, are clearly an arse. I'd be pretty amazed to hear you have a wife or lady friend with attitudes like yours, particularly when you clearly have some sort of HOWLER MONKEY fetish. You might want to see someone about that obsession you have.

2. Ben Tasker

> The thing is, conservatives tend to be busy running their OWN lives [not trying to manage EVERYBODY ELSE through INTIMIDATION and BULLYING and MEANINGLESS DEMONSTRATIONS]

What, by doing things like making it harder for someone to get an abortion, whatever that person's beliefs might be?

Or, in fact, by attacking abortion clinics.

Or deciding that people from several specific countries are far too high risk to let in, despite there not having been any real sign of that risk yet.

I'm not pretending the side are any better, just point out that what you've said is bullshit.

> being SO tired of the one-sidedness and HOWLER MONKEY bullying with the downvotes and the sock puppets and other well-known (lame) techniques of trying to seem BIGGER than they are.

Like capitalising random words for no good reason? Very lame and tired.

3. sabroni Silver badge

Re: other well-known (lame) techniques of trying to seem BIGGER than they are.

Like getting 3 million more votes? Or are you buying into any bullshit conspiracy theory that props up the tangoe'd ones massive ego?

sorry, let me fix that so you'll understand:

Like getting THREE MILLION more VOTES? Or are you buying into any BULLSHIT CONSPIRACY THEORY that props up the tangoe'd ones MASSIVE EGO?

5. This post has been deleted by its author

8. lansalot

nice!

I'm actually quite cheered by this - 1.6 million versus 100,000.

Sometimes, it feels as though the Trumpeteers are in roughly equal numbers, so if this is indicative then perhaps things aren't as bad as I'd thought.

Had to laugh at Britain First's saluting him as a patriot. Cowardice at its finest.

1. JimC

Re: I'm actually quite cheered by this -

Well, it might only be a sign of which group of people are more likely to make themselves feel better by an utterly pointless action...

The depressing part, of course, is that, like all political threads, this one has immediately descended into "yah boo sucks all your side are idiots/fools/deluded/morons/[delete or add insults and ad hominems as required]", coming in roughly equal measure from both sides of the debate^h^h^h^h^h^h name calling competition.

1. JimC

Which begs the question...

I'm trying to think of a political debate which was a genuine debate rather than a name calling competition between sides with entrenched opinions.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Which begs the question...

@JimC That was my main problem with the Presidential debates. It was "We need a stronger X and I will make it better and this [thief, corrupt buffoon] will destroy the country" with very little detail about the actual issue.

2. Adrian 4

"like all political threads, this one has immediately descended into "yah boo sucks all your side are idiots/fools/deluded/morons/[delete"

That's hardly surprising. Both sides in a political match are pretty well always composed of idiots/fools/deluded/morons. If they weren't, they'd be doing something constructive instead, wouldn't they ?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Both sides in a political match are pretty well always composed of idiots/fools/deluded/morons. If they weren't, they'd be doing something constructive instead, wouldn't they ?"

Like... pontificating in a web forum?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Well, it might only be a sign of which group of people are more likely to make themselves feel better by an utterly pointless action..."

effective action would be a high powered rifle and a spot with a good view, putting your name on a petition is trying to keep things civilised. Whether you mock this as 'weakness' or complain about its ineffectiveness depends on which side of the political canyon you are shouting from.

Disclaimer. This post is no more advocating political assassination ( or pest control ) than Trump himself was when he publicly suggested the NRA "deal with" Hillary Clinton back when it looked likely she would win.

Anon,

as if thats going to help :(

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Another thought is that one of the petitions has been advertised in all the media and the other one hasn't.

As to assassinating Trump, in a way I would chuckle if someone did because it would mean the "progressives" would be wiped out in the states. Nazi would go back to meaning terrible people in the lead up and during ww2 that implemented and ran a system for murdered millions of Jews in a systematic and ruthless fashion and fascist could go back to meaning a supporter of a failed political ideology focusing on totalitarian one party states, militarism, nationalism and mixed economic policies. Maybe everyone will stop politicizing everything as well. Stealing chicken from a chicken shop because the owner doesn't believe in gay marriage? I don't go to a chicken shop for moral guidance, I go for chicken that'll probably give me food poisoning. It was like when I used to wear cats and some lunatic was all "oh I don't buy those they sell bulldozers to Israel" I don't care, good shoes to go on my feet, and now I know if I want to knock down houses they sell good bulldozers too.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: nice!

> "I'm actually quite cheered by this - 1.6 million versus 100,000."

Notice how some people will grasp at any straw(man) to maintain their world view. This new petition is very rapidly growing, so make sure to point out how comparatively small it is (so far), without mentioning that the other petition has had many days to grow.

Uneasy, are you?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

> "This new petition is very rapidly growing, so make sure to point out how comparatively small it is (so far), without mentioning that the other petition has had many days to grow."

The "No" petition hit almost 1000000 votes in the first 24 hours.

The "Yes" petition hit 100000 in the first 24 hours.

So it's growing at 10% of the rate of the "No" campaign.

Now, what was that about grasping at any strawhaired man to maintain their world view?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The pro-Trump-state-visit petition is about 24 hours and 1.5 million votes behind. The anti-Trump-state-visit petition is still piling on votes faster (about 15,000 per hour compared to 6,000) .

This is not a case of betting on Leicester City to win the Premier, or to use a more classical allusion putting your money on the reptile - the tortoise is not going to beat the hare.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like