back to article Final 25G/50G Ethernet spec finally lands

There's already product a-plenty on the market, but it still matters that the Google-led 25G Ethernet consortium has formalised the release of its technical specification. It follows the publication of the final report from last August's 25G/50G Ethernet plugfest. The plugfest demonstrated an impressive 882 25G link …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

882 25G link configurations (843 passed), and 360 50G link configurations (341 passed).

So, this still means that by buying "25/50G" hardware from randomly chosen vendors, I would end up with 5% of connexions refusing to work.

Anybody here knows what the failure rate is for 10G and 1G kit these days? The last time I've personally seen ethernet kit refusing to cooperate was at the time duplex 100M was a novelty....

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: 882 25G link configurations (843 passed), and 360 50G link configurations (341 passed).

I assume that only the fully working 95% will be allowed to advertise their kit as being "fully 25/50G Ethernet compatible", so just check the specifications carefully before you plonk down your (presumably large amount of) money.

(PS, 10G cards are down to £100 new now, affordable enough?)

1. Joerg

Re: 882 25G link configurations (843 passed), and 360 50G link configurations (341 passed).

10Gbps switches still are in the $500+ range and they require a lot of power (100Watt+)

They need to improve things if they want to sell to SOHO.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm still waiting for affordable 10G

3. Phil Endecott

I'm more interested in 2.5G / 5G. Any news on that?

1. sanmigueelbeer

2.5G/5.0G is currently being dominated by Cisco, called mGIG (aka 802.3bz).

It's already ratified by IEEE.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon