back to article Judge allows plan for Intel to reanimate McAfee. The brand, we mean

The tech world's equivalent of Jarndyce and Jarndyce rolled back into a New York Court last week, with a judge refusing to grant John McAfee an injunction blocking Intel from transferring trademark rights to the name McAfee to a proposed cyber-security spin-off. Intel bought the name "McAfee" when it bought McAfee Associates …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take notes.

John McAfee is the only guy in iT that isn't boring. I don't care if he wins or loses, I admire that he challenges the established order with a presence.

Correction, I hope he wins. Intel should of disolved this "security" suite, not try and flip it on someone else. Besides, Intel needs a fight, they've been nickle and diming people for too long. Tick, Tock? How about Tick, Tock, BOOM!

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Take notes.

"Intel should have dissolved"

FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thank you's.

2. Adrian 4

5 downvotes ? Really ?

Justify yourselves, cretins.

2. Roo
    Windows

More money than sense.

If Intel had any sense they would let the brand name die and invest all that lawyer money in something more productive than preserving a toxic brand name associated with a shit product.

1. GrumpyKiwi

Re: More money than sense.

Have an upvote for saying exactly what I was going to post.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

I'm glad

They're just re-animating the company, John's pretty animated as it is...

4. Chris King

Toxic branding

If anyone slapped the McAfee brand name on a security product, that act of stupidity alone would make me think twice about even evaluating it, let alone purchasing it.

5. nsld

Jedediah

Yeeee haaaaaw.......

6. Herby

Moral of the story...

Don't name the company after yourself UNLESS you want to be associated with it for your lifetime (which is a VERY long time). Pick something easily removed from your name, like "Traf-o-data" or some such.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Moral of the story...

I thought the moral was not to buy a brand named after a guy who's a sandwich short of a full picnic?

7. Mikel

Intel to divest McAffee

It was tragic when they acquired it. As I wrote at the time, the acquisition revealed that mighty Intel was run by technology illiterate MBAs who simply didn't know why this is a bonehead move.

Though they're curing the symptom, the disease remains.

8. Pliny the Whiner

Earth Boys Are Easy

You order a truckload of morons. Assange, Trump, and McAfee are the only people who show up in the delivery. Do you contact Amazon (or bitch at Alexa) to complain of a shortage?

1. pxd

Re: Earth Boys Are Easy

Never mind the width, feel the quality . . . pxd

9. DNTP
    Joke

I thought the real Jarndyce and Jarndyce...

for size, pointlessness and duration, was Apple vs Samsung, and that the McAfee thing was more like when Mick Fleetwood had to sue to regain the name rights to Fleetwood Mac.

Except that Fleetwood Mac is, like, awesome but McAfee brand software sucks.

10. dbannon

A win win solution ?

"The chip giant has plans to spin off a cyber-security firm called McAfee that involve selling a 51 per cent stake in the new business to a private equity firm."

I don't understand. John wants to use the brand name again, Intel want to sell it, why shouldn't he just out bid the asset stripper, er sorry, the private equity firm ?

Assuming he wisely invested the money he got when he first sold McAfee and Associates ? I cannot imagine the value of the brand has gone up .....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Youtube video

I loved that video! I downloaded it onto my works PC.

When I have a bad day dealing with bloody McAfee encrypted laptops and the constantly crashing website to manage them, I often sit back and watch John rant - cheers me up no end!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like