back to article I'm deadly serious about megatunnels, vows Elon Musk

That's more like it. Elon Musk is completely serious about building megatunnels under Los Angeles, buffing up his credentials as a real-life Bond villain. He's promised to start within "a month or so". Musk announced on Twitter that the first would be "Starting across from my desk at SpaceX. Crenshaw and the 105 Freeway, which …

Page:

1. Alister
    Black Helicopters

So, he's starting to dig a tunnel under his desk...

Or am I reading this wrong?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

I'm seeing pictures of Mr Burn's trap door for getting rid of annoying visitors/workers.

I think the good folks of Space X should start being worried if Elon asks them to stand in a specific spot...

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Coat

If he's trying to get to Mars that way, he'll be disappointed.

1. HamsterNet

This is exactly the point

This isn't about Earth or traffic at all. This is actually about Mars and asteroids.

If people colonise mars we won't live on the surface at all. The surface is bathed in radiation, dust and has no viable atmosphere.

To colonise you need to be able to automatically and remotely dig BIG tunnels to create your underground, pressurised work spaces and gardens.

To mine an asteroid you need to automatically dig it under low or spin gravity.

Musk is clearly using the immediate issue of transport on earth (an idea investors can get behind) to create the tech needed for his grander plans of getting humans off just one vulnerable rock.

3. PNGuinn
      Coat

So, he's starting to dig a tunnel under his desk...

Yeah, ok, just be careful how evenly you hide the dirt in the ceiling.

Awfully embarrassing you know if it all comes down just before you complete your escape ....

Thanks - it's the one with all the earth in the extra large pocketses ...

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

So, self driving cars in a gridlock underground won't be soul destroying or a cause of mass claustrophobia?

1. 2460 Something

Reminds me of the Dr Who episode 'Gridlock' .. ah, what a future we have to look forward to. :)

2. mosw

I would think self piloting flying cars would be a more practical answer. Not easy, but a better investment than all those tunnels trying to avoid the undocumented buried infrastructure.

3. Richard Scratcher

"The Tesla and SpaceX CEO didn't explain where the tunnel would end up..."

Tijuana?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

Surely the wall will just go 100m underground, and Musk will pay for it...

It's gonna be yuuuuge.

2. theblackhand

Is this the part of the wall that Mexico has agreed to fund?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Tijuana..."

Brilliant, thanks for that, although all the laughing is starting to hurt...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "Tijuana..."

As long as he remembers to turn left at Albuquerque

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"[...] turn left at Albuquerque"

err what's up Doc?

Can't get that voice out of my head.

2. Mark 85

Wouldn't turning left at Albuquerque make the tunnel end somewhere in Canada? Maybe this is the secret plan to escape?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Wouldn't turning left at Albuquerque make the tunnel end somewhere in Canada?"

Depends on the situation. A few examples

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Tijuana?"

Will the brass be playing as the tunnellers break-out?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!

1. BongoJoe
      Headmaster

A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!

Which would make the Pacific coast an odd place to start.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well the TransPacific Passageway was shouted down.

So he's got to go the long way around. Fortunately, twitter users have no objections to TAT.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He asked for directions, but Sean Spicer said he had been given #fakenews, and provided some helpful alternative facts.

1. Anonymous Custard

No, the other left...

Or he maybe asked directions from this guy?

2. Alan J. Wylie

Constructed from Stainless Steel?

3. Tom 38

A Transatlantic Tunnel

...run by BART? *shudder*

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Eddy Ito
    Paris Hilton

Are we to believe that traffic was so much better way back in the day when he stuck his company in the middle of the LA clusterfsck? Maybe he should have considered North Platte, Nebraska.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

North Platte would be a terrible location. It would be a 2400 mile round trip commute for his workforce (well the SpaceX ones) who tend to live in the LA area due to its aerospace heritage.

1. PNGuinn
        Trollface

It would be a 2400 mile round trip ...

*That's* his problem. He's got to be within the puny range of the batteries smokin' his fancy gocarts.

2. Eddy Ito

Yeah but the savings from fleeing LA would likely, in a single year, pay to move, feed, and house his entire labor force in North Platte. Heck the savings in CA taxes alone would get them all a new Tesla and put solar panels on the roofs of their much larger North Platte houses. In an ironic twist it would also do more the improve the traffic in LA than any tunnel would.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe he should have considered North Platte, Nebraska.

Musk is addressing the symptom, not the problem (of over-sized cities). As such, all that a few tunnels will do is bring traffic faster into the already congested centre and pinch points.

Even if you build a bypass for through traffic, because policy makers allow/encourage the urban centre to keep growing then the bypass itself clags up. For UK readers, the M25, Birmingham Box, and M60 round Manchester illustrate this a treat.

For corporate bureaucrats, fat cats and politicians, when it comes to cities, big is beautiful. If that results in a shitty quality of life for the proles from congestion, poor public and private transport, pollution, cramped and expensive living, that's a price the elite are more than happy to pay.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone buying the LA earthquake argument?

Hyperloop makes more sense in the UAE etc, where a spin-off is starting work.... Dubai / Abu Dhabi or links to the other kingdoms. Throw billions of petrodollars at it in an earthquake free zone with no red-tape, and if it all blows up no worries...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Anyone buying the LA earthquake argument?

I seem to recall watching a documentary about a Silicon Valley tech billionaire deliberately causing an earthquake... Wait! Sorry, it was a James Bond film, A View to a Kill. Hmmm, best forgotten.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The earthquake argument sounds a bit dodgy to me...surely building tunnels is effectively creating extra surface, mathematically speaking for earthquake propagation purposes; albeit with megatonnes of stuff above it.

1. Orv Silver badge

Experience in earthquake zones so far is that tunnels hold up well. A lot of the damage on the surface is caused by an "inverted pendulum effect" of buildings swaying as they're shaken from the base. Tunnels, being 'immersed' in the moving ground, tend to move as a unit. The exception is if you cross an active fault, in which case you may have trouble at the strike/slip plane.

Besides LA, the Bay Area also has subways and even a couple of underwater tubes, and I'm not aware of any earthquake-related catastrophes in those.

That said I think Musk is nuts. Tunnel projects almost always go massively overbudget. He will be literally pouring money into a hole in the ground.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

> Tunnel projects almost always go massively overbudget

So they'll end up sapping his cash, you say?

7. Pen-y-gors

Acting President Drumpf

""The more voices of reason that the president hears, the better," said Musk. "Simply attacking him will achieve nothing. Are you aware of a single case where Trump bowed to protests or media attacks?" he asked.

But, to be fair, are you aware of a single case where Trump bowed to reason? The only time he changes his mind is when random cosmic rays flip a neurone in his head.

1. Potemkine Silver badge

Re: Acting President Drumpf

random cosmic rays flip a neurone in his head.

Not a neuron, but the neuron ^^

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Acting President Drumpf

@Potemkine

Don't underestimate him. He probably has just as many neurones as the rest of us - unfortunately they're not wired up in the normal way.

8. Alistair
    Coat

@ Pen-y-gors :

Random? He needs to be studied carefully then, since he seems to attract a rather large number of random cosmic rays.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Maybe we can use him as a source of entropy for decent encryption? Oh....wait....

9. Chrissy

Read / watch this:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/07/26/scientist-lays-out-5-huge-problems-with-elon-musks-hyperloop-video/

then read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#University :

"

In 1995, at age 24, Musk moved to California to begin a PhD in applied physics and materials science at Stanford University, but left the program after two days to pursue his entrepreneurial aspirations in the areas of the Internet, renewable energy and outer space

"

.... Maybe he should have stayed the course, then he wouldn't still be thinking the HyperLoop/ Megatunnel is a viable solution.

1. John 104

@Chrissy

OR, he is one of those so smart people that he can't be arsed with the university system. A few highly successful tech businessmen come to mind.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Vacuum

Dr. Phil Mason is why things can't get done. A bullet hole in steel isn't going to create a killer shockwave in a tube so massive. If the tube was lined with fault sensors and periodic emergency vents, even a complete failure would have a short range shockwave. The tube could also have an interior plastic lining that collapses and crumples to diffuse shockwaves. Dealing with expansion is as simple as not making the tube perfectly straight and rigid. Suffocation is, again, solved by sensors and periodic emergency vents.

3. Cuddles

Tunnel != Hyperloop

"Maybe he should have stayed the course, then he wouldn't still be thinking the HyperLoop/ Megatunnel is a viable solution."

Hyperloop does seem a rather silly, impractical idea and I don't see it happening any time soon (other than possibly the occasional small prototype). Putting roads in tunnels is not at all the same thing, and there's nothing silly or impractical about. More to the point, there's nothing original about it either, so it seems a bit odd to criticise Musk for it. Putting roads underground is something people have done many times before when there hasn't been space to fit them above ground. Also railways, parts of buildings, a variety of pipes and cables, and pretty much anything else that takes up space in places there isn't much free space. As far as I can tell the only original part of this proposal is that he's attached the prefix "mega" to a perfectly ordinary concept for marketing purposes.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Tunnel != Hyperloop

It could be a part of a roundabout face-saving. Most of the problem with the hyperloop idea could be solved by using a tunnel rather than an above ground tube. If Musk could fine a way to do for tunnelling what he's currently doing for the space launch industry an underground hyperloop might be feasible. Well, really just an underground vacuum maglev system of the sort I've been reading about for the last forty years. But if he could make it work, even as an airport city centre shuttle it would be an impressive achievement.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. PNGuinn
      Facepalm

@ Human Man

You obviously took the wrong fork at the tunnel interchange on board the good ship RTFM - which you obviously didn't. Your bad.

You thing those barges are just for landing rockets on? Just be grateful you didn't end up in his secret underground Island Lair! Bet you didn't bring any cat food either......

11. rdhood

Please come to Atlanta....

One of the big problems with Atlanta is that it is based on and wheel&spoke type design, and our mass transit always goes through "the hub" to get from one part of the rim to another... taking a 15 minute ride and turning it into 1.5 hours. Or, all thru traffic (of the 18 wheel variety) gets shunted onto the rim with the commuting traffic. Or all of the interstate traffic from the east coast and midwest (I85/75) headed to Florida must go through a single pathway ("the connector") .Previous attempts to create an "outer perimeter" were seen as transparent attempts to create new development corridors. All are very bad ideas that contribute to huge traffic jams that could be ameliorated with tunnels. It sounds kind of spooky and like science fiction, but if it would work....

12. Arachnoid
    WTF?

Outer Space and Inner Space who would have thought.

In the same week Trump announces walls across the Mexican border......is it coincidence!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come to Stonehenge

It really needs a megatunnel :-)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like