back to article In real life, Q is a woman! Head of MI6 calls for more female techies at SIS

The chief of MI6, Alex Younger, yesterday called for more female technologists to come and work for him at Vauxhall Cross. Younger told the Women in IT Awards that "as a spy" he didn't get out much, but explained that doing so to celebrate the achievements of women in cyberland was worthwhile. He added that attracting the best …

1. Frederic Bloggs

Dunno about the leg, but the clock...

Building one's own grandfather clock was rather popular in the early 1900's. There were kits one could buy to do this. My ex-grandfather in law made a rather fine mercury regulator, whilst he was at university, that is still going strong up in Scotland.

1. wolfetone Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Dunno about the leg, but the clock...

Wouldn't that be an ex-grandfather-in-law clock?

Don't worry, I'm leaving.

2. Unep Eurobats
      Coat

'outside my office at Vauxhall Cross there's a big grandfather clock which he built himself with his own hands'

Eeuw. He could have used a couple of metal pointers like normal clocks have.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

Gives a whole new meaning to the words : 'digital clock' doesn't it...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pointless

the gender imbalance has been a sticking point for those with an interest in an equitable and efficient society

Excepting where women are over-represented, for example in media, fashion, medicine, nursing, teaching, and a few others. These people seeking an "equitable and efficient society" seem to want a very selective form of equality. Perhaps they could present data proving that more women in IT would help, whereas the fact that two thirds of GPs are women is not a problem?

Some very flawed presumptions as to what is "equitable", and complete ignorance of what that would mean for "efficient".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pointless

Given that gender imbalances in those jobs you list _is_ considered a problem, I'd say that you just created straw women to defend your biases.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not to mention EVERY stage of education from nuresery to university, where boys continually underperform girls, but is also not an "equality" problem for the feminazis.

3. fruitoftheloon
      Pint

@AC: Re: Pointless

AC,

you are more on the money than you believe....

The local 'wimmin' think that it is just downright weird, that I [as in a bloke] drop our lad off at school AND collect him in the afternoon, rather than the missus doing so.

I am not making this up, four years after first dropping him off, some of them still give me really weird looks.

Ironically when any of them have asked what wifey's job is, I mention that she works in the NHS, 99% of the time the response is 'so she's a nurse then?'.

I mean, there aren't any female GPs, Consultants in the NHS are there now???

They are usually quite stunned when I mention she has a Masters in Nuclear Medicine and also did Astrophysics 'because it was interesting'.

Stereotypes work in a multitude of directions...

Cheers [off to the pub when wifey gets home shortly]

Jay

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My view is not that women shouldn't be allowed into high demand techie jobs, (not that this one will be, it's the civil service, so she'll be a time served manager,) but that we are pushing women into jobs when they'd rather be someone else.

There are some very good female techies and I've recommended several on Linked In.

That said, in my experience while there are some very clever women, (I know because I find them personally attractive, and hence dated them before I was married,) there are always cleverer men, sometimes much cleverer, and there are many more clever men, and "Women in IT" seems to be a synonym for "Government demanding IT companies share their immense profits with people who can't understand it, by creating pretend jobs."

If we're going to give women money, because they need it, and I think we should, because biologically they do, we should just bite the bullet, and be explicit about it, and then we will have some gratitude for it, because the people giving the money would be getting something in return. But the world seems to be oriented around ensuring women have no obligations to men, because there's only one way for them to pay it back.

Ironically the countries where they've managed to get clever women to have lots of children, rather than get clever women to try to hold down a big techie job, which they only do half heartedly, are the most successful.

Thankfully, we're in post feminism, and the ship will right itself soon.

3. Solarflare

Perhaps

Considering all the initiatives, incentives and programs to get more women into STEM, the issue isn't that there is a worldwide conspiracy to denigrate women...perhaps a large proportion of women just aren't that interested in STEM?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Perhaps

They are quite interested in S and the M parts (stop sniggering at the back), lots more women in permanent science academic jobs and a majority in medicine.

Just not as interested in taking the T and E jobs that are mostly poorly paid, have poor career prospects and are easily destroyed come the next round of off-shoring outsourcing or cuts

1. Korev Silver badge

Or perhaps the constant flow of stories saying that IT & science have a problem with gender make girls think that IT/science are terrible places for women and therefore not study a STEM subject at university.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"Or perhaps the constant flow of stories..."

No , its very simple . Women are not as nerdy. They wont stay up all night pissing around with a computer for the sake of it

Women dont fix their own cars - demonstrating a lack of interest in Engineering

1. Halfmad

I'm not sure what's quite right. My wife is very nerdy but then again so were many of the engineering apprentices I was with during my teens - but most have apparently not left that sector following time off to have kids.

It could be problems getting back in following maternity leave as many wanted reduced hours and that's not always practical in engineering. Where as Scientific/medical jobs (particularly GPs) can tailor their working hours far better.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Although the female doctors won't tailor their working hours to match the mens' working hours, nor the number of years they are willing to work for.

So when women took over the profession ( 2-1 in medical school now ), that caused the doctor shortage.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Perhaps - Women dont fix their own cars - demonstrating a lack of interest in Engineering

Fixing a car is not engineering, though it may be problem solving.

Designing cars is engineering.

You don't need to understand any of differential equations, FEA, calculus, thermodynamics, gas flow, applied metallurgy, or electronics to fix a car. All are needed to design one.

1. Chemical Bob

Re: Perhaps - Women dont fix their own cars - demonstrating a lack of interest in Engineering

You don't need to understand any of that stuff to "design" something either. Look at the crap Jony Ive has done:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/tumblr_mo8mlqt4CT1svn1xeo1_1280.jpg

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Perhaps - Women dont fix their own cars - demonstrating a lack of interest in Problem Solving

FTFY

Thanks FFTFM , ac (and others)

It was a pretty rushed post, i didnt have time to think of good examples or wording.

..and talking of calculus and mettalurgy . I studied all that , and qualified in engineering . ( 2 girls , about 15 or 20 boys in the classes)

Anyhoo IT seemed the world didnt want me as an engineer and after a year trying to get a job , I fell into IT support instead. Who knew you could make a living showing people how to turn a pc on and off.

Or indeed just giving the PC a hard stare so that it works for the user.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Given that it's not consistent across countries and cultures, it's very obviously not a natural gender bias and it's a problem.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Demand Equality

Can he please be ordered to demand equality in our schools and universities, where boys are BEHIND at EVERY stage of education ?

Or is that gross inequality - at the very start of children's lives - acceptable in the ridiculous feminazis' version of "equality" ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Demand Equality

A person making a speech about one problem doesn't mean they don't care about others.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The boys being left behind by education are clearly not competing on a level playing field, so until they get equality THEY should be preferred for all jobs.

Or we could just realise that the feminazis' "equality" is bunk, and make it illegal to not pick the best person for every job or to target one group of people with recruitment.

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Holmes

Maybe girls are getting raised with more appreciation for abstract knowledge and more discipline and boys are getting raised with the attitude that fucking off and not learning anything is perfectly okay. Or maybe girls are just smarter, and with sheer physical size and intimidation being removed as a factor, girls and women are freer to succeed than they were in the past.

As an FYI, use of the word "feminazi" designates you as an utter cretin with no possible worthwhile opinion.

5. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

"He added that attracting the best IT talent was a priority for him"

Well if it was that important why is he contaminating the selection process by throwing in filters to fill quotas ?

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Headmaster

"contaminating the selection process"

You misspelled "expanding the recruitment process."

if you have 100 suitable male applicants , and 5 suitable female applicants and you need to fill 50 places , then no problem.

If however you have a rule that it must be 50% women , you'll get 25 suitable men , 5 suitable women , and 20 unqualified women , not pulling their weight , being carried by the other 30.

if you mean by "expanding the recruitment process." that the process is longer , then yeah , if you mean works better , i disagree

6. tiggity Silver badge

Moral viewpoint

Given the behaviour of the security services over the years I imagine the pool of talent available is fairly small as a lot of people would feel uncomfortable with at least some of the activities our spooks get up to.

7. Alister

Vauxhall Cross

I wonder how many tourists are confused when they come to London and see the Vauxhall Cross building is not a smoking ruin, like it was after Skyfall...

1. Old Handle
      Facepalm

Re: Vauxhall Cross

They rebuild it, obviously.

(And totally ignored the shortage of women in construction work while they did it!)

8. FuzzyWuzzys
    Facepalm

Are you sure that's MI6?

I seem to recall the activist/comedian Mark wotnot going up to the security at the front desk and asking them if it was MI6 and they refused to say anything to him other than, "I'm afraid I can't answer that question sir.".

1. Kingston Black

Re: Are you sure that's MI6?

What they actually say is "MI6? No Sir. This is Universal Exports".

9. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"... whether they're really posh or going to Oxford or whatever it is ..."

Well, Bond is a Cambridge man anyway (skip to 0:14:25).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe they should push Callan as the role model rather than Bond...

11. Tim Seventh

Women in Tech? They're doing it wrong.

The fundamental issue is a culture and tradition problem. Girls were taught to be pretty and get married. Funny thing is, it IS a smart decision at the time and also most of today's.

Think about this, you get married and you can let your hubby do all the hard thinking and if you're lucky you get free money to spend and do work/ have fun as you like (research shown ~80% spending are by women in commercial store. men earn money, women spend them). Heck, even today men are expected or willing to pay for women for a meal. (try this, get a kid to ask to waiter for the check. See whether the waiter gives the wife the check or the husband the check. Also note whether it is a waiter or waitress)

So until the Men change and make that 'decision' weak like demanding higher technical skill women to marry, there is not much reason for women to look for IT or other Critical Problem Solving job. Unfortunately, the world has more men demanding women (there's a whole industry for those men, called p**n) and even a demand for lower technical skill women (just to make themselves better). So their decision still remains valid.

The only women looking at Problem Solving job are plain self interest, contradicting norm of culture and tradition being passed down. This is why there are so few women in those jobs.

Another issue is generation problem where women are taught to be the one caring for kids. So giving being taught being pretty and need to care for kids, what subjects are you more likely to look for? Social Science, nursing, teaching, liberal art, etc. If we want to change that, we need to develop ways for women not need to care for kids 100% of their time, which is the best we can do (washing machine, microwave, mixer, dish washing machine, school, etc.). Unfortunately, it still can't fix the first issue.

In short, the issue is caused by men implemented by women. To fix it, men need to demand Higher Technical Skill women for marriage, design more innovation that reduce time needs to care for kids and teach their daughters instead of letting their wife re-teach "it still works" tradition.

1. fruitoftheloon
      WTF?

@Tim Seventh: Re: Women in Tech? They're doing it wrong.

Tim,

at first I thought you were winding us up, then I realised, feck, he actually believes it...

My wife is a respected medical physicist, I am the primary carer, whilst slowly developing what will hopefully be a successful business.

I have worked with many capable women, in a number of roles, with the occasional exception I have invariably noted that when I compared the abilities of a woman and a man doing the same or a similar job, the woman was invariably brighter, sharper and cleverer.

You are painting with an extremely wide brush when applying your stereotypes, also your grammar and sentence structure is more than a little 'floppy' shall we say.

I wonder if reading between the lines you yearn for a simpler past where the little woman put on her apron and made breakfast for hubby, got junior ready for school, then tidied the house and then got dinner ready.

Times change, you need to change with them...

Regards,

Jay

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon