back to article GDS chap: UK.gov is better off on public cloud than its own purpose-built network

The Cabinet Office wants government departments to buy public cloud rather than services from the Public Services Network (PSN). In a blog post on Friday, James Stewart, director of technical architecture and head of technology at the Government Digital Service, indicated that the PSN would be wound down. He said the …

1. macjules
    FAIL

Network of networks ..

We used to called it MOAN, as in Mother Of All Networks. Quite apt since that is all everyone does when working with it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Plod

Someone at the Cabinet Office better have a word with Plod then. They don't want to talk to anyone except across the PSN.

1. 2460 Something

Re: Plod

Consider this 'by design' or indeed, being down with the tech kids, a 'feature' that way they can spend less time talking to anyone who might be concerned as to what they actually wastespend their budgets on...

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

Not true. They're quite happy talking to people not on PSN, just not willing to share confidential information with untrusted networks. Which sounds eminently reasonable to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But it's all OFFICIAL isn't it?

Plenty of ways to communicate secure with plod without having to buy into an expensive propitiatory network.

Out most sensitive info form plod is already delivered across the internet using proper encryption technology but the less sensitive stuff needs to come via PSN. Doesn't make a lot of sense really.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Organisations that need to access services that are only available on the PSN will still need to connect to it for the time being..."

Hi James, that's all of them. There are no real public clouds (crown hosting is not a real public cloud) properly accredited (political exceptions for gmail don't count either) to handle even OFFICIAL, never mind OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE.

"It's important we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

You already did that when you dismantled the GSI in favour of an "internal market".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"There are no real public clouds properly accredited"

Urm, of course there are! Keep up! Several actually. How did you think that MoD, MoJ, HMRC and many others are moving to them?

And OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE is "merely" a subset of OFFICIAL so anything rated for OFFICIAL can be used for OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE too. Of course, sensible organisations take a risk-based approach to working out what data is suitable for public clouds.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE is "merely" a subset of OFFICIAL so anything rated for OFFICIAL can be used for OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE too."

This isn't true. It's completely the other way around. An OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE accredited system can handle all the OFFICIAL purposes and communications you want, but you should not be handling O-S over something only rated to OFFICIAL (i.e. basic commercial best practise). That's why many departments have x.gsi addresses in addition to their increasingly insecure gsi addresses.

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Yeah, just slap it all on Azure

I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

5. Spanners Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Out of US control

Lets just make sure that whatever clouds we use are outside the USA and out of reach of criminal organisations there, like the FBI, NSA, CIA and so on...

1. Rosie Davies

Re: Out of US control

I'd imagine 5-eyes would allow access to pretty much anything that most government departments do - certainly anything that's likely to end up on a public cloud. And if 5 eyes doesn't cover it then it was never accessible via the internet anyway.

Rosie

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm sure the US does stuff it does not let the UK know about, and probably vice-versa. Did you guys tell the US that you shot a Trident missile towards Florida?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Did you guys tell the US that you shot a Trident missile towards Florida?"

IIRC we can't fire a Trident without US permission anyway. I'm sure the US was fully aware of all of the details of the launch in real time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LOL,

Too late. Cabinet office has already shifted it's email to a GMail enclave in North America.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bet those companies that spent fortunes on PSN stuff to get government business and haven't yet recouped their investments are really, really happy about this.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have mentioned before now- small supplier, dealing with UK public sector organisation, was promised orders so did the preliminary work in good faIth. Didn't get orders, due to inept project and commercial management, and project manager then blamed them for not being willing to work with public sector.

Next time I try to save money by bringing in a new, innovative and credible, just small, supplier, maybe i'll ask for personal guarantees from the project managers before even mentioning it. And people wonder why public sector projects seem to cost a lot.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Link?

Nothing on the GDS blog since 12 January, and nothing other than this article in a news search.

1. gids

Re: Link?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/public-sector-use-of-the-public-cloud

8. Otto is a bear.

Um

Do GDS actually know how PSN is provided, do you think.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Um

GDS management seems to be mostly ex-BBC or BBC wannabes. Can't see much past the end of their latest iPad or Chromebook.

Certainly they weren't ready for the experienced MOD security chap who totally lost it at the shiny suited wee boy that was telling him he shouldn't worry about security and the only thing that mattered was that the 'experience' was good for his visitors.

I think he worked on nuclear submarines design or some such trivial function.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quite. The best bit is there haven't been any cost savings, because security-minded departments have been banned from sending sensitive information to the new gmail addresses. End result is huge swathes of operational staff are now toting two email addresses, one of which on the (much) more expensive x.gsi subdomain, because otherwise plod etc. won't send them any documents.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My opinion of GDS was low so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't, it's even lower now our new boss parachuted in from them and i know his skillset

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From elsewhere...

I’ve decided it’s time for me to leave GDS and figure out what comes next. I’m not leaving immediately, but will step away at the end of January. (James Stewart, GDS)

Run away! Run away! Six years in post is the ideal time to leave, before the inevitable manure cart/windmill interface catches up with you.

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

This "economies of scale" thing only works if most people actually use it.

And that turns out to need quite a sales job.

Sorry but "Move to this, it'll be great" is not going to do it.

11. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

He said the government is "on a journey away from the PSN".

Is it too much to hope for that in a few years time he'll cringe when he remembers saying that?

12. Roj Blake Silver badge

Fast Forward to 2018...

I'm predicting that at some point in the near future the GDS will announce a new infrastructure thing called NPS (Network for Public Sector) that they claim will be the solution to all of their security problems.

Any coincidence to the PSN will be purely conicidental.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like