back to article Trump's 'cyber tsar' Giuliani among creds leaked in mass hacks

Passwords used by Donald Trump's incoming cybersecurity advisor Rudy Giuliani and 13 other top staffers have been leaked in mass hacks, according to a Channel 4 investigation. Giuliani, incoming national security advisor Lt Gen Michael Flynn and various cabinet members of Trump's administration had their details included in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Enquiring minds...

How come the headline doesn't resemble the article? Is El Reg a tabloid now?

1. Rich 11

Re: Enquiring minds...

I think the key there is 'mass hacks', so the headline is accurate enough.

Most of us have suffered from these occurrences, just like Giuliani. The question is whether we've done anything about it.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Coat

Americans practice security through legislation. They can't secure systems properly, so they prefer to give heavy jail terms for people caught like Laurie Love. Or threaten their critics with multiple felonies like Aaron Swartz.

They're bullies. Pure and simple.

2. dalethorn

Yes. El Reg is a tabloid now. It's obvious.

1. druck Silver badge
        Alert

El Reg has always been a tabloid!

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Depends what size screen you have

2. find users who cut cat tail
    Holmes

Oh no — pwned! Or not.

> An appearance of someone's records in Have I Been Pwned? should not imply that they have been hacked

But surely records cannot get there completely randomly?

Well, just out of curiosity I tried entering my e-mail address -- one that every spammer already has (been pretty much public since late 90s).

And of course it led to a big red ‘Oh no — pwned!’ page. The reason being a ‘paste’. That is a random Pastebin copy of file(1) magic database to which I contributed, and so it contains my e-mail. Why something like this was picked up, no idea.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The passwords of the appointees were hacked

Hacking passwords, is that really the right choice of words?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For balance how many of Hillary's team or Obama's had passwords in these hacks? How many of our current government had passwords in them as well? If were talking linkedin I'm guessing quite a few.

Don't get me wrong I'm not pro-trump in the slightest but a bit of balance would be nice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

To be fair, it is Rudy that's going forward into the future, and the Dems who are fading into obscurity (except for the howling). No need to even look for their names on that list. Who cares? Let Rudy take the heat on this one. He's the one the President picked and it's time to put on the Big Boy pants.

Rudy, go forth, learn, tighten up your ship like we all want you to, and see if you can't do a little better than they who preceded you. Trust me, it won't be too terribly hard.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"For balance how many of Hillary's team or Obama's had passwords in these hacks?"

Better still (and I _AM_ pro-Trump) do like OBAKA did, and JUST! BLAME! THE! PREDECESSOR!!

He's only been in office for 2 days, after all.

Looks to ME like Giuliani needs to GET HOT and start shoring up his 'firewall defenses'...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"He's only been in office for 2 days, after all."

He's been running an IT security business for a lot longer and that, after all, is why supposed to the reason The Donald chose him for the job. He may not be at the coal face of running said business, but he should at least be aware of it.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Not to worry as his infosec Tsar there's no way he'd reuse his password

Cause that would be amateurs mistake.

Right?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Show me the password!

That they were part of a breach isn't too interesting in itself.

I have been myself, thanks to linked in, adobe et al.

What would be much more interesting is what they had as passwords.

Password123?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Show me the password!

I'd be interested to know that too as that would actually tell you something.

Merely appearing on the list means nothing as many, many companies have been hacked. I'm on there too thanks to bloody Adobe. All that anyone will get from that is an adobe@one_of_my_domains.com email address and unique password for that account. It's only re-using passwords or -somewhat better- an easily-guessed password system that lands you in trouble.

7. Brian Miller

You were expecting somebody competent??

All of the political appointees are exactly that: political, and appointed. If somebody competent gets into a position, it's through sheer accident, not by design. You'll never see this: "Wanted, proven BOFH for national position. Responsible for all government computer security."

8. Mike 16

Myspace?

I'd expect a little loyalty to the team. That is, LiveJournal.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given the context, one must assume that 'creds' means 'Credentials' rather than 'Creditability'.

10. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

Meanwhile over in Russia

Putin is logging into the NSA database

Username: trump

Password: GoldenShower

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Coat

Password: GoldenShower

Surely not.

"Golden Showers" is the new program name for the NSA trawling operation.

11. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Make some noise.

DJ Trump is in the house.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I assume el'reg followed up and ensured that these passwords were really owned by those people, that they were used for secure sites, and they are recent?

Should we just call it BuzzReg?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like