back to article Meet 'Moz://a', AKA Mozilla after it picked a new logo

When Mozilla floated new logo designs last August The Reg polled readers to ask which of the eight candidates you felt would best represent the open sourcerers. You picked the design we named "Remind me again which one is the backslash and which one is a forwardslash?" And so did Mozilla, which has now announced that the logo …

1. Drew 11

OK then. In the spirit of "openness and democracy" and to highlight the "important reflection of the diversity and richness of the Internet", how about you do something that's actually useful - bake DANE into Firefox.

Then we can chose to provide HTTPS without having to go anywhere near the mess that is CA.

Or explain via VultureCentral exactly what you have against DANE.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There is always information and arguments on the Internetz - here is something from one of the Google Chrome programmers - Though I could see a "somewhat less trusted" indicator for it for people who like to control their own systems:

Why DANE is NOT an alternative to https by Adam Langley

1. Drew 11

From that...

"DANE records are going to be even more non-standard, are going to be larger and browsers would have to fetch lots of them because they'll need the DNSKEY/RRSIG chain up from the root. Even if DNSSEC record lookup worked flawlessly for everyone, we probably still wouldn't implement this aspect of DANE because each extra lookup is more latency and another chance for packet loss to cause an expensive timeout and retransmit."

Since when does the browser provider get to decide whether the website operator is willing to put up with latency? Where's the democracy in that? I don't see them whining about the latency caused by websites downloading megabytes of subsequently unused javascript and CSS files.

If I chose to have my website suffer a small amount of one-time latency for the pleasure of having complete control over my CA-free TLS, (because after that it will run blazingly fast - javascript free and minimal CSS), that that should be MY CHOICE. This "we've decided that we don't like DANE so we're not going to let you use it" (by a bunch of people that have their fingers in the CA pie) is nanny state bullshit.

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Facepalm

Yes, if only Mozilla would stop forcing people to use their browser, and thus stopping you from using DANE.

After all, choice of browser is clearly the definition of nanny state right? I bet IE6 doesn't support it either.

2. DropBear
          Unhappy

Well what else do you expect from a bunch of folks who took it upon themselves to decide for you what extensions you may or may not install...?

2. joed

At least it does use its own cert store. Essential for Windows user.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Chrome doesn't support it because Google want's to phase out the 1024 bit keys that are required for DNSSEC ( which DANE depends on ). Dunno about Firefox.

2. redpawn

Looks like

an old App//e logo. Super modern to have those forward leaning slashes. Next they could add ascii smiley faces ; ) and a 300 baud modem sound when you type it into a browser.

1. Mark Simon

Re: Looks like

Actually, one thing about Apple that they know how spell the name.

The styling was Apple ][ at first, then Apple //e when that came out.

3. nagyeger
    Thumb Up

Because byte-count counts

Congratulations on the low byte-count bloat-free ascii logo. Now all they need to do to make me happy is reduce the memory footprint of the thing, which seems to have quadrupled in the past year or 2, with no real increase in usability, at least for my usage pattern.

Who do we need to write to to get have the old fast, small, efficient firefox we used to love, rather than this bloated RAM-hog which is currently taking up 10% of my total RAM just with el Reg open?

1. joed

Re: Because byte-count counts

Switch to Chrome and you'll see what memory, drive and CPU hog means.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now could they make the damned browser work better, please?

Can't comment on technical issues - on this I'm a pure user. I just want a browser that doesn't feel like it's swimming through treacle all the damned time. Firefox used to be my browser of choicem and I was happy with it. Now I use it only reluctantly. Couldn't give a monkey's about the logo, just want the friggin' browser fixed.

</grumpymumbling>

1. frank ly

Re: Now could they make the damned browser work better, please?

Palemoon?

1. LionelB Silver badge

Re: Now could they make the damned browser work better, please?

Oh right yeah, Paλəm00n

5. getHandle

That'll work well in a URL

Real web experts, these Mozilla, sorry Moz://a, guys...

1. jake Silver badge

Re: That'll work well in a URL

It's a logo, not an address.

6. Florida1920

The next Big Thing

CHRØME

Next we'll hear Moz://a is building a new headquarters.

1. Adam 1

Re: The next Big Thing

> CHRØME

Pretty sure that's a bookshelf in IKEA.

1. Pete 48

Re: The next Big Thing

CHRΩ surely...

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Alister
    Coat

And because anyone can type the logo, Mozilla reckons it is "open and democratic."

but not pronounceable...

Moz colon slash slash A

However, the spoken word is soo last century, dahhling...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"However, the spoken word is soo last century, dahhling..."

Are you sure? How are you going to explain Moz://a to Alexa et al?

9. Norman Nescio Silver badge

Synonym

I wonder if they will make Moz a synonym for http, or https, in the browser address field, so you Moz:// a website?

Seems like the kind of thing a marketing dude might do.

"Let me moz that website and see what you're talking about...".

To avoid downvotes, can I point out I am not recommending this as a suggestion.

1. Alister
      Happy

Re: Synonym

To avoid downvotes, can I point out I am not recommending this as a suggestion.

Too Late!

:)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Addons

Just allow people to run the addons THEY choose. If you must, then put a warning which the user can ignore if desired. Just don't ban them.

11. Spudley

I'm looking forward to discussing it on other sites where the comments are coded to automatically convert strings containing :// into links.

12. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

WHY!

What's wrong with the world!

What was wrong with the old (non) logo? (and do I have to call Naomi Klein?)

How is this going to improve anything?

Why was Thunderbird kicked to the kerb?

Why are there important old bugs in Mozilla that won't be fixed?

Why do we have to descend to POTUS guff like "important reflection of the diversity and richness of the Internet" (do we get ISIS videos and BLM mental confusion with this?)

Did someone watch too much "Stein's;Gate" or ".hack//sign" chinese cartoons?

Why won't anyone rewrite that embarrassing Firefox print dialog?

It will remain a mystery.

13. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

So, what app is registered for the "moz" protocol on your system/device?

I've no problem with the idea, but they could have styled the "ill" to resemble "://" without actually making their work-mark unpronounceable by using the actual characters...

14. Sealand
    Coat

S://y buggers ...

15. Gene Cash Silver badge

If you can't code... you design logos.

16. Forget It

Reducing the browser to a protocol? browser://

Shouldn't dinosaurs still be on the attack?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Godz://a ?

17. Bucky 2

"has a journalistic feel reinforcing our commitment to participate in conversations about key issues of Internet health."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Oh, man. Thanks. I needed that.

18. kaseki

One zilla to rule them all

I'd be more impressed if the zilla they adopted was the one astride the globe formerly used by Netscape.

19. Wensleydale Cheese

Will anyone recognise it?

They have been hiding the http(s):// bit in the URL bar display[1] for long enough that most non-techs won't realise what it is.

[1] not that Mozilla are the only ones here

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well that's definitely not going to cause issues when people type it into search engines to try to actually find them...

21. Richard 12 Silver badge

Now I know why I spent the night throwing up

... oh hell, coming through....

22. Agent Tick

Oh..

.. the new logo == load Moz: from A drive!

Perhaps they plan a new Mozilla OS?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ugly font, ugly logo

Ugly font, ugly logo. Too "clever" for its own good.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon