back to article Uber, Apple, Amazon and Sully Sullenberger walk into a bar – er, self-driving car committee

The US government has pulled together a high-powered bunch of execs to form a new committee focused on self-driving cars. The advisory committee, set up by Uncle Sam's Department of Transportation, boasts among its 25 members the CEO of General Motors, two mayors, several academics, top execs from Apple, Google, Amazon, Uber …

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Ask Them

We wonder if Apple will admit to its self-driving car program or just pretend it's there for the coffee and cakes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ask Them

They said there was going to be punch and pie. So, no.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think Apple has tried to hide the fact they are doing research into it. Hiring people in the auto business makes that pretty obvious. But that's a far cry from "Apple is building a self driving car".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yep. It may be Apple is going the "smart radio" route instead, making their software/hardware available to manufactures, instead of an "Apple Car"?

As in offer the integration into the iphone, own the OS, but let others build the car.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sullenberger?

To remind them a plane "AI" (aka autopilot, or George, if your confident) couldn't land an airplane in emergency, and a human needed to take control?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sullenberger?

Perhaps he's there as a crash expert and will take control of the out of control test vehicles, at the last possible second, thus saving a school bus filled with special needs children from going over a cliff into a lava pit filled with snakes and counterfeit skin lotion? It could happen.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Perhaps he's there as a crash expert and will take control of the out of control test vehicles, at the last possible second, thus saving a school bus filled with special needs children from going over a cliff into a lava pit filled with snakes and counterfeit skin lotion? It could happen."

Ah, you've seen the script for the latest episode of Speed then?

2. Snake Silver badge

Ha ha.

He's there as a safety consultant, of course. Sullenberger's main personal "hobby" lies rather close to mine, system failure analysis and forensics, and his insight into safety concerns has been sought out before.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

It's a rather tough call.

If memory serves me right, NOBODY managed to land the plane on a simulator set up to rerun the Canadian kamikaze attack on that A320 over the Hudson. Same as Air Transat 236 - only a handful of pilots have managed to bring that one successfully down on a simulator. Most fail.

Even so, as you pointed out - in situations like this it is the human's job - the autopilot disengages.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A tool for the job. It is about using it where it is needed. Say having it control engines where it can manage fraction of a second changes... but allow it to both communicate and be overridden, so when it does something stupid (like fly into the sea because no one saw the pitch authority), it can be corrected.

4. smithwr101

Cpt. Sullenberger was an expert in safety and reliability well before Cactus 1549 went into the Hudson (15th January 2009.) He also has a masters in industrial psychology. He is also made of the Right Stuff.

1. D@v3

Also, worth remembering, he didn't crash the plane into the Hudson, he landed the plane ON the Hudson.

5. Roland6 Silver badge

Not sure if we need to remind them about the capabilities of AI, the time to start paying attention to this group is when they sack their chauffeurs and get driven about by their products....

3. An ominous cow heard
    Pint

Sullenberger: the movie

Is the movie any good?

Either way, I suspect we won't see many (any?) more like him. Which is a shame, for lots of people, many of them have probably never heard of Captain S and probably never will, unlike (say) the numbers of people that have heard of (say) Jedward and wish they could forget.

15 January, eh. Here's a glass for the Captain.

1. phil dude

Re: Sullenberger: the movie

Tom Hanks?

Gotta Be.

Apollo 13 was very good.

The Airport was too, I think ( but because I resonate with the "Stuck in Charles De Gaul for $RANDOM_HOURS , finding something to do (other than drink....)".)

P.

2. 080

WTF is Jedward?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

WTF is Jedward?

If you value your sanity, DO NOT GOOGLE that term!

1. David 132 Silver badge

If you value your sanityfaith in humanity and belief that we qualify as "intelligent life",

I made a small edit that I think improves the accuracy and PSA value of your comment.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The consensus view on Rotten Tomatoes suggests that Sully is a typically well made film from its director Clint Eastwood:

As comfortingly workmanlike as its protagonist, Sully makes solid use of typically superlative work from its star and director to deliver a quietly stirring tribute to an everyday hero.

Mr Eastwood has a reputation for knocking out good films ahead of time and under budget.

3. cambsukguy

The movie has an shocking/exciting opening, mostly deals with the NTSC investigation and Tom Hanks is, as always, good.

I was struck by how much the NTSC seemed (in the movie) to have it in for our hero though.

"...crash..."

"Forced landing"

"What?"

"It wasn't a crash, it was a forced landing on water"

Having lived in Toulouse for a little watching the Airbus Belugas fly in and out, it was interesting to see their Simulators in the movie.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: NTSC investigation

"NTSC investigation"

I think you may have an off by one error. Or maybe your color vision is impaired. Common problems, so maybe you have both.

4. Vic

Is the movie any good?

It's OK. The flying scenes are really rather good.

Sadly, they "sexed up" the behaviour of the NTSB, who were , in reality, nothing like as confrontational as shown in the film; they asked difficult questions, of course, but the movie has them trying to assign blame, which they would not (could not?) do.

Still worth a watch, though.

Vic.

4. Adrian Tawse

No crash

It was a forced landing on water. In a crash the pilot is not in control. Sully was in control at all times. He chose the Hudson as the safest option open to him.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: No crash

There is a difference between landing and crashing, just as there is between on to and in to (the ground, a river etc)

2. An ominous cow heard
      Pint

Re: No crash

"He chose the Hudson as the safest option open to him."

I haven't seen the movie (yet), but after only one listening to the ATC recording (?), I still remember the general gist of that part of the conversation between Sully and the folks on the ground.

Obvious respect is obvious -->

5. PhilipN Silver badge

25 people?

Forget it. No group that big can ever achieve anything.

Unless it's really just 2 or 3 and the rest are there just as a sop to whomsoever, keep their collective mouths shut and nod at the right time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like