back to article Shadow Brokers spew Windows hack tools after exploit auction flop

Security exploit peddlers Shadow Brokers announced their retirement on Thursday – and released 58 tools for hacking Windows PCs for free by way of a parting gift. The shady group is essentially giving up, and shoving malicious code – most of which is detected by Kaspersky and a few other antivirus makers – into the hands of as …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Torrent

Is inevitable...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now That's Funny!

I think it is just funny as hell. Looks like the rest of the hackers in the world let them know what they thought of them. Failed auction. Failed individual package sales. Failed windows exploits sales. Yep, in it just for the $$$? Nope! OKThnxSeeYa! ROTFL!

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

Nearly $600k for obsolete code? What kind of moron would buy that?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

I hear the new US Cyber Chief Guiliani knows a bit about Computers and Websites. These codes will work on his Website at least, it aint obsolete there. I'm sure if you offered him a bulk deal he'd be all over it!

4. Brian Miller

"most of which is detected"

Mostly harmless...

So most of it is detected. Which means not all of it is detected. And there's the rub: while Kaspersky, et. al., will be going through all of it to make sure it is detected, there will be others who will be changing it into a form where it won't be detected.

Cat and mouse, etc.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Things that make you go hmm...

So Kaspersky just happen to already have the signatures to detect all these exploits. Coincidence, or...?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Things that make you go hmm...

> So Kaspersky just happen to already have the signatures to detect all these exploits. Coincidence, or...?

Totally wrong, the AV industry would never release exploit code into the wild in order to drum up business.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like