back to article Microsoft cans pay-as-you-go Azure for new MPSA licensees

Come February, Redmond will be ending pay-as-you-go Azure access for new customers on the Microsoft Products and Services Agreement, as it turns to channel partners to win small customers who are floating away. Existing customers currently purchasing Azure on a pay-as-you-go basis through the MPSA will be allowed to continue …

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Facepalm

More lockin...

Depressing that they don't really understand that the attraction of the cloud generally is the "pay-as-you-go" methodology, and the reduction of costs and simplification of licensing.

Typical M$ though - "we're losing customers - make it more difficult for them to buy something, that will solve everything!"

1. Ragarath

Re: More lockin...

Yikes, when did the cloud start solving everything? I find it good for a few things and somewhere a lot of my stuff will never touch.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not quite. CSP is pretty good as it just means you get a bill at the end of the month - much easier for a business than mucking around with credit cards. The other model of buying credits #60 at a time was a nightmare as it took so long for anything to be generated.

Really, the best thing MS could do would be to just simplify the whole lot. It's bad enough having 'classic' and the new deployment model for everything, on top of that everything is just too complex with lots of individual bits. Every time you logon to the portal something new appears.

Not sure why MS think this is such a good deal for resellers though - our margin has dropped from 20% to 8% since switching from the old model.

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Really, the best thing MS could do would be to just simplify the whole lot

They never do, though really, do they? Which is pretty much the point I was trying to make (and also clearly failed to, judging by the reaction...)

3. AlgernonFlowers4

Yes - why introduce a new layer of dickheads when the pay-as-you-go service is fine as it is

2. steamnut

The cloud is not always the answer

We have a slow and unreliable internet. Software companies seem to be determined that we all access their software "in the cloud" and using a PAYG model. Even Quickbooks no longer has a locally hosted version so we have not upgraded it.

This push to the cloud has pushed us to Linux. Here, we update the O/S on our terms with no hidden updates and all of our applications are locally hosted so, if the 'net fails, we keep on working. Most of our existing USoft systems are now virtualised under VirtualBox.

Even if we had a good Internet connection I doubt is we would go for cloudy services. I like to know where my data is!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The cloud is not always the answer

"I like to know where my data is..."

And more importantly, who has their grubby mitts on it!

3. TheVogon

That's 8% of an ongoing revenue stream though instead of 20% of what was often a one off purchase...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Amazon killer, here...

Good luck with that, Microsoft. Amazon isn't losing business to you, any time soon.

5. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Oh fuck off!

" licensing focus was a matter of "enhancing and creating synergies"

Still, you get some points if you are playing Bollocks Bingo!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Good luck with that, Microsoft. Amazon isn't losing business to you, any time soon."

Actually they are. Azure has a higher planned adoption rate than AWS in the Enterprise and is growing much faster!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like