back to article Black horse blacks out: Lloyds Bank website goes down

An unspecified glitch at Lloyds Bank Group prevented customers from logging into their accounts via a browser or app this morning. Services were unavailable for several hours during the outage, though the company kept mum on Twitter about the causes. “We are aware that some customers may have experienced issues logging on to …

1. Paul Woodhouse

Press office manager nicked the kettle lead from the server to charge his iPhone most likely...

1. Mark 85

I was thinking some new contractor to replace the FTE's tripped in the server room. But I like your reason as it seems more realistic.

2. ACcc

TSB and Halfix too

TSB and Halifax apps/websites were simultaneously offline too.

1. Snivelling Wretch

Re: TSB and Halfix too

Lloyds Banking Group includes Lloyds, Halifax and Bank of Scotland brands, so I'd expect all to be affected. Although TSB was spun out as a separate entity, it still shares a lot of the same systems.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: TSB and Halfix too

"Although TSB was spun out as a separate entity, it still shares a lot of the same systems."

And probably still keeps some of the same attitudes to customers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably nothing to do with the UK Government selling some more of their Lloyds shares to the city - so they are no longer the largest shareholder.

4. Miss Config
    Holmes

They DID Warn You

The warning was in the news last week : UK bank will be hacked in 2017 :

BBC : Bank Hack Warning

Then again, beware all the fake news nowadays

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They DID Warn You

Probably the elites have some scam to have a bank "hacked", all our money goes missing but luckily they had moved their cash just before and coincidentally had some nice campaign donations just after.

Oh and I can see the BBC headlines now "Bank X failure believed to be Russian hackers"

can we please go to war now?

5. kain preacher

wouldn’t be able to provide [the reason for the outage], even if we had one”.

I couple of chaps showed up and handed us a disc to run and things went bad.

6. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

'Couldn't tell you if we knew'

...sounds like the sort of reason you'd give if you'd been ordered by the spooks not to tell on them...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still not up on the app, they really need to sort this sh1t out

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never mind the app! is the cash point working?

9. Cynic_999

Did not affect all customers

Stop exaggerating the situation. Only a minority of the bank's customers were affected. None of the customers who did not try to use online banking during that period were affected, for example, and Mr. T Jones, a Halifax customer who is presently in a coma at his local hospital didn't bat an eyelid.

10. Player One

Halifax online may be suspect at the moment

Halifax online login page is bothering NoScript at the moment as well. It's reporting a cross-site scripting attempt, not really the sort of thing that gives me any desire to enter my login details on that page.

Hers the start of a very long url, [NoScript XSS] Sanitized suspicious request. Original URL [https://stags.bluekai.com/site/36828?ret=html&phint. Bluekai comes up as a virus on some pages on google. But then so do loads of innocent things, so anyone know for certain what they are?

1. Electron Shepherd

Re: Halifax online may be suspect at the moment

It's benign, sort of.

It's from a marketing and analytics operation, now owned by Oracle, so while not "good", it's not "bad" in that sense.

See http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/acquisitions/bluekai/index.html

1. FlamingDeath Silver badge
        IT Angle

Cos ad-slingers are known for their impeccable security and would never serve malware to their marks, that they benefit from criminal activity is merely a rumour

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's a bank!

Any third party crap in my Web page is suspect.

Someone should explain this to marketing.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sacking the talent and Outsourcing to morons....

For the win.

13. CCCP

Nope. Nope.

Still not working. Oh come on. FFS. I'm about to complete a property purchase. Really...

1. CCCP

Re: Nope. Nope.

Did they fire all the network engineers? I am not an engineer, but it looks like DNS (for Lloyds) has gone awol.

14. ReaperG

Problems not fully resolved?

Still having issues connecting to site now. Perhaps issues were not fully resolved?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Problems not fully resolved?

Staff member just hit problems and his was DNS related, (specifically MS server DNS) nslookup for the domain he was after timed out. Linux DNS seemed OK.

Could be that had some bad DNS out there and it takes a while to recover.

I can't say for sure either DNS is correct but the MS servers to me seem slower to drop bad data.

1. CCCP

Re: Problems not fully resolved?

Agree it seems like correct DNS is taking a looong time to propagate, or maybe isn't propagating... Still not working at 12pm Thursday.

IANAE, but getting DNS wrong is like Ebola on a bad day: easy to get awful consequences and hard to stop.

15. DJV Silver badge

I didn't have a problem with Lloyds...

...but that was mainly because my ISP, Virgin Media, had completely fucked up internet access in my local area for several hours and I could get access to anything!

16. steamdesk_ross

Not working today either

... some kind of DNS problem:

Name servers:

ns2.lloydstsb.co.uk 141.92.103.254

ns4.lloydstsb.com

ns5.lloydstsb.net

WHOIS lookup made at 09:50:47 12-Jan-2017

$ nslookup

> server ns2.lloydstsb.co.uk

Default server: ns2.lloydstsb.co.uk

Address: 141.92.103.254#53

> onlinebusiness.lloydsbank.co.uk

Server: ns2.lloydstsb.co.uk

onlinebusiness.lloydsbank.co.uk canonical name = onlinebusiness.lloydsbank.co.uk.edgekey.net.

> onlinebusiness.lloydsbank.co.uk.edgekey.net.

Server: ns2.lloydstsb.co.uk

** server can't find onlinebusiness.lloydsbank.co.uk.edgekey.net: REFUSED

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I work in one of the city offices and heard that the bank was hit by a 64 million packet ddos

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like