1. Alistair
    Pint

Happy new year.

And after the mauling I've suffered this year, I'm seriously considering a career change. Have had 2 interviews with my target, both (myself) and the person with whom I'm discussing are feeling good about the idea, and nothing is yet written in stone.

I'll be required to learn at least 2 additional spoken languages and buff up the 2 (french/spanish) I already have moldering away in my brain.

This will be a leap off a cliff for me, I've *no idea* if I can handle the job at all, but my (possible) future superior assures me that pretty much everyone on the team felt the same way coming in. My salary will be roughly in line with what I make now, and the benefits are miles better so that really isn't in my way. I suppose, being that I've found some like minds about ElReg and some that I'm not like, but still respect, I am wondering;

Considering that I'm now in my 50's, is a full on jump across a huge gap to a new career something that anyone considers at this age?

Is it normal to be both thrilled and terrified at the prospect of utter failure, or possibly even random cases of success?

If one had a similar opportunity at a similar age would anyone else take it?

In my case it is the opportunity to (hopefully) do *something* to improve the lot of some folks who live in other, less comfortable parts of the planet. No, not a charity, but more an NGO with some teeth.

Beer, its friday, before the newyear, and I'll be having a couple with good friends over a nice meal tonight. And I'll offer one to you if you have coherent thoughts to reply.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Happy new year.

"Is it normal to be both thrilled and terrified at the prospect of utter failure, or possibly even random cases of success?"

Perfectly normal.

This is roughly on par with getting married - if it works it's bliss, if it doesn't, well... one way or another, it will cost you. So it won't hurt to think through a "what if" for the worst case and maybe an exit strategy/plan B.

Been there, more or less, when starting my own business. Didn't work as planned (but that's neither here nor there), still glad I went for it.

So, good luck & a happy new year!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon