back to article Amazon files patent for 'Death Star' flying warehouse

In an image straight out of a dystopian consumerist vision of the future, Amazon has filed a patent for a huge flying warehouses equipped with fleets of drones for airborne drops. The patent describes the airborne fulfillment center (AFC) as an airship that could remain at a high altitude, at around 45,000 feet, with a fleet …

Page:

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

This is basically getting first-strike capability, isn't it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Definitely not the flying base Captain Fury was looking forward to.

1. lawndart

Nor Colonel White, for that matter.

1. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
        2. Chozo

It does have possibilities for international rescue operations.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"It does have possibilities for international rescue operations"

Nah, there's no profit in that (yes I know technically there is and charity is sometimes a front for business which is why I donate to causes where I can see the actual benefit)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"It does have possibilities for international rescue operations"

Ah, but could it be made Hood-proof ?

1. macjules

It works in conjunction with the new Amazon floating warehouses, which are certainly NOT converted oil tankers intended to capture and house ballistic nuclear missile submarines. No, the new flying platform is intended to simply launch Amazon's new range of drones under the leadership of the new Amazon CEO Harold 'Bezos' Saxon.

3. P. Lee
            Mushroom

> It does have possibilities for international rescue operations.

Who would have to pay a licensing fee to use the "novel idea."

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: > It does have possibilities for international rescue operations.

There may be strings attached

2. oldcoder

Unless it was run by a secret Amazon project...

3. P. Lee
              Linux

I take it back, "Storks" got there first.

Patent denied - prior art and therefore not novel.

3. Alan J. Wylie

If they have a 3D printer on board, they will be possessing the ability to recreate an exact likeness of an object ...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

If they have a 3D printer on board, they will be possessing the ability to recreate an exact likeness of an object ...

It would have to be able to handle the entire rainbow of colours.

1. Muckminded

The drones should be made to loiter and collect trash cubes made by the Wall-E ground bots while they're at it.

2. W4YBO

"If they have a 3D printer on board..."

"It would have to be able to handle the entire rainbow of colours."

I'm playing around with a mixing hotend. Uses cyan, magenta, and yellow filaments to make process color plastic. After I finish my experimentation (Bwahahahah!), I may try turning a four color mix head from brass, since black rarely looks good from CMY.

If you're building your own printer, take a look at the Diamond Hotend - http://reprap.org/wiki/Diamond_Hotend

2. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

Nothing new here...

Take that new remake of the airship.

Now add drones to drop and deliver.

I forget when there was an invention to allow bi-planes take off from airships, or if they could also be retrieved... so that's not new.

This shouldn't get a patent because its so simple.

In terms of implementation... never will happen.

FAA will not allow airships to fly low enough or drones high enough to meet.

1. Tom 7

Re: Nothing new here...

Yup - the US had a couple of aircraft launching/retrieving airships at least (Macon?) I think the requirement for a laundry might have been a weight problem.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

This shouldn't get a patent because its so simple.

It shouldn't get a patent because it is obvious this is an idea and not a physical object.

Applications like this show just how broken the patent system is. Whilst it is no longer necessary to supply an implementation of the patent on application, it is still a requirement to be able to demonstrate a working example at time of application...

1. SVV

It should have been rejected immediately as it so obviously breaks the laws of physics.

"they can navigate horizontally toward a user specified delivery location using little to no power, other than to stabilize the UAV and/or guide the direction of descent," said the patent."

Really? It can fly horizontally using NO power? What if it's windy? What if air itself has the property of not being frictionless (like it does). OK so they used the word "navigate" rather than "fly" so it's ambiguous (which should also be an instant rejection) but even taking account of the exceptions described it would still require power for other things.

Personhally I think this was filed just to generate some news stories and get some very cheap publicity in the media (and that has obviously worked then....). The idea is obviously stupid for lots of reasons. But am I too late to file a patent for gaining free publicity by filing a ridiculous patent that may sound vaguely plausible to some of the more technically and scientifically challenged people out there?

1. Will 28

"Really? It can fly horizontally using NO power?"

They said using "little to no power", not "No power". That is entirely feasible given the height the drone would be descending, they are clearly stating that the horizontal component of the journey would not significantly contribute to the power consumption, all the energy from that would be contributed by the very thing you were suggesting they'd forgotten, the air resistance generated by the descent (i.e. they'd effectively glide horizontally).

Unfortunately you focused on one of the things that is pretty solid and achievable. What I find more curious is how, once the drone has descended 45K feet and delievered its package, does it get back up there? A quick google suggests that the most people have managed to fly a drone to is about 11K feet, and it then needs some way of docking. Alternatively they might be intending to then fly the drones off to some collection point to then be re-installed when the plane lands, but at that point you have to wonder if that's a cost effective solution.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

That is entirely feasible given the height the drone would be descending, they are clearly stating that the horizontal component of the journey would not significantly contribute to the power consumption

You're overlooking the obvious flaw: the descent would need to be controlled and hence would require power - given we are talking about controlling the descent of several kilo's the power needs are potentially significant. But then I suggest, designing and building a 'drone' that is capable of carrying a payload of a couple of kilo's and a controlled descent from 45,000ft will in itself involve independently several patentable inventions - just as the helicopter, sewing machine and mobile phones aren't the results of a single patentable invention.

So this is really Amazon patenting a 'method' and demonstrating that a (potentially) patentable

'method' doesn't have to have any basis in reality.

1. Vic

You're overlooking the obvious flaw: the descent would need to be controlled and hence would require power

Err - you know that gliders are unpowered, right?

Vic.

1. Spamfast

Err - you know that gliders are unpowered, right?

Err ... no they are not. A glider (aka sailplane) has a human being controlling the systems. Human beings like any other control system require energy to function.

2. Patched Out

Gliders are not completely un-powered. They have human powered control surface actuators. Take the human out of them and you need some sort of powered actuators to do the function.

2. Will 28

Roland6,

The power needs would indeed be significant for calculations, but my point (and I think theirs) was that the horizontal component of the travel would not add to these costs. If you're calculating a way down, you're making these decisions. Whether that's a direct drop, or a "glide" is irrelevant to the calculation costs. The glide itself is unpowered.

1. Vic

The power needs would indeed be significant for calculations

They really wouldn't.

Vic.

1. Adam 1

> You're overlooking the obvious flaw: the descent would need to be controlled and hence would require power

At 45000 feet this object will contain a lot of potential energy and very little kinetic energy. As it drops, most of that potential energy gets converted into kinetic. Even commercial jets use a ram air turbine for emergency instrumentation power in the event of fuel exhaustion or other engine failures. Flight calculations are relatively modest unless you start trying to get into weather modeling or something. We are talking iPhone battery levels of power.

Actually, come to think of it, maybe if they use a note 7 battery, they weeks then have a good rocket to launch the drone back to the mothership.

2. oldcoder

Happens all the time during parasailing.... Totally unpowered flight. Also happens during skydiving.

3. Stuart Castle Silver badge

"FAA will not allow airships to fly low enough or drones high enough to meet."

Congestion will also be a problem around airports. A stray drone that malfunctions and flies into the path of an airliner that is landing or taking off could have some, shall we say, interesting results.

1. Vic

A stray drone that malfunctions and flies into the path of an airliner that is landing or taking off could have some, shall we say, interesting results.

It doesn't even need to do that. A stray drone that appears to be heading towards controlled airspace without clearance is enough to trigger the re-routing of many aircraft - with each diversion tending to cause additional diversions in order to maintain separation. It's a mess.

I went to a GasCo safety evening a few weeks back where they showed a NATS video[1] of a light aircraft flying first through Stansted's airspace and then through Heathrow's. Many flights were diverted, which was quite impressive, but I couldn't help but think "bullshit; this would never really happen"; I mean, the aircraft even lined up on the Heathrow runway. And then, at the end, they told us that all the positional data was from real radar traces...

Vic.

[1] Can't find it on the web at the mo - I'll post a link if/when I do.

3. Sgt_Oddball
      Coat

Mail bombing?

Mines the bomb jacket with the plane spotters guide in the pocket...

4. TheVogon

"This is basically getting first-strike capability, isn't it?"

You think humans will be required? I would have thought this was more about getting a no-strike capability...

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Will it deliver electric sheep and mood organs to the urban conapts?

"A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies! ... A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure℠!! Buy a one-way ticket on an Amazon Blue Origin® Mayflower™ vessel today!"

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Will it deliver electric sheep and mood organs to the urban conapts?

"Buy a one-way ticket on an Amazon Blue Origin® Mayflower™ vessel today!"

...and buy NOW! The price will increase in line with the nearness of the expected date of the arrival of the planet eating STAAAAAR GOAAAAAAAAT!!!!

3. Len Goddard

Reloading

So, how do the drones get back to the mothership? They're not likely to be able to do a 45k vertical assent. Does the mothership have to land to get another droneload or do they stuff all the used drones into a big bucket and send it up under a balloon?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reloading

Tractor beams.

1. Challo

Two swallows will carry them back in pairs with string held under the dorsal guiding feathers!

1. Adam 1

African or European? Or does it depend on the weight of your order?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Hmm, just wondering about the mass of the drone with payload, and its mass after making its delivery. Its range will be greater after the delivery, but by how much I haven't the foggiest. It might be that for some items - an SD card, for example - the weight difference will be negligible.

2. Spamfast
            Happy

African or European?

Are you suggesting that they're planning to deliver migratory coconuts?

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I suspect that that are planning to use paper airplanes, perhaps with "smart ink" for guidance?

3. Vittal Aithal
      Coat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taylor-Tools-TAY-62030-30-inch-Bungee/dp/B00PSD2G1U/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1483027712&sr=1-3&keywords=bungee+cords

Just very, very, *very* long ones!

4. Pen-y-gors

I did wonder about that. If the drones can only be used once due to inability to reach 45000 ft, where do they land? Do they park a container nearby for them to home in on,before sending the full container aloft to the mother ship?

And what about weight? Presumably drones won't be used to deliver a new 55" TV to a fan at a football match, so presumably it'll be fairly small items. In which case the majority of the payload of the mothership at take-off will be one-shot drones.

And how is this a better way to get T-shirts to football fans than having a stand outside the ground?

Or are they assuming a very, very high attrition rate for the drones from local shotgun owners?

Whatever, it's really an expensive solution in search of a non-existent problem. I reckon Amazon are just winding people up.

1. KH

Not all solutions are fixing problems. Sometimes it's just marginal (or larger) improvements on the way things are done. Did you read that part about getting things within minutes of ordering them? Hmmm, let's say I'm a wedding photographer and my camera just died... tap tap tap... new one ordered.... be here in 4 minutes. I like the sound of that.

1. 9Rune5
          Coat

"Hmmm, let's say I'm a wedding photographer and my camera just died... tap tap tap... new one ordered.... be here in 4 minutes"

Could explain what happened to one or two weddings in Afghanistan...

2. photobod

If you're any type of professional, you don't go out on a job without backup for any mission critical equipment.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Same way the cargo would

Wait for it to return to the ground.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The BBC has a picture from the patent application with their version of this story. This shows that after the drone makes its delivery, it flies off to a ground location. From there a smaller airship takes it back to the mothership, along with fresh stock.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/295A/production/_93168501_965a49fd-c578-459f-aa7c-6434488e9963.jpg

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

it flies off to a ground location. From there a smaller airship takes it back to the mothership, along with fresh stock."

I'm still trying to get my head around exactly what it is Amazon want to patent. There's nothing in the diagram that is patentable or isn't already subject to patents. Apart from anything else, cost issues aside, it's blindingly obvious even to me as a possibility, never mind "an expert in the field"

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like