back to article MicroServices-friendly Java lands on Eclipse

A project for a microservices-friendly Java is to be overseen by the Eclipse Foundation. The MicroProfile project has been accepted by the Eclipse Foundation Board following a vote. MicroProfile is a lightweight profile of enterprise Java using existing elements of the Java EE stack. Backers of MicroProfile initiated the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I dunno...

I know Java has lost some serious love and gained a severe reputation dent due to the recent actions of (wh)Oracle (no, that's meant as: who? rcale :P) (yeah, sure!) :) Even so... I can't help still seriously liking the language for all its potential and provided options. Although I obviously am happy that all my (FreeBSD) servers fully utilize OpenJDK which doesn't suffer from the recent licence crapola.

But yah.. I can't help wonder: do we really need yet another Java container? I know they focus themselves on microservices, but I also think the gap between 'normal' and 'micro' (or embedded) has also become a lot more vague than it was in the old days.

And having said that I also can't help if it wouldn't have been a better move to put some extra weight onto already existing projects. In this case specifically Apache Tomcat (Java EE servlet container) and Apache TomEE (Java EE EJB container). The market is already pretty fractured and thanks to the Oracle overlords extremely fragile.

Just my 2 cents of course.

2. maxregister

more like the apache license is "leech friendly"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like