"Front Page" layup issue

This topic was created by Alistair .

1. Alistair

"Front Page" layup issue

Since late thursday afternoon, I've noted that the trailer layout on the front page is 'blank' - I have tiling (empty) for article images and headers, but no content below the "You have to Check this Out" banner mid page.

Anyone else seeing this?

Firefox 50.0.02, Fedora 23, ABP (off for forums, but no, on for front page due to the pageblockers I got) NoScript (permiting .theregister.co.uk but not admedo or any google.

2. Alistair
    Coat

div class headline below dont_miss_row are all void of parameters.

I'd post the resulting HTML on here, except I'm not sure how to escape it to avoid the "invaild html" error on the posting.

3. Lennart Sorensen

I see about 6 stories and that's it. The rest going down is just lots of white emptiness. Mobile version seems to be fine however.

Opera shows broken image icons for the blank space, but still no stories.

4. Alistair

11;45 am EST 19 DEC 2016

someone fixed it!

5. Marco Fontani
    Go

Someone sure did! ;)

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier, we got an email to webmaster@ about this exactly one hour ago, and it got fixed in ~40 mins.

I don't roam the forums that often, but emails to webmaster@ are read as they come in…

If possible, always use webmaster@ to alert us of this kind of stuff, as there are higher chances we read, fix stuff, and (usually) reply!

1. Lennart Sorensen

Well I couldn't find any links on the front page about how to report problems. Maybe a link to webmaster would be in order somewhere at the bottom. Too many places don't have a webmaster@ address working, so it never occurred to me to use that.

6. Alistair
    Pint

in many cases the "webmaster@name.of.site.xxx" I've seen have been pointed to /dev/null so I tend not to think of that as a valid email address Marco. But I'll keep it in mind for future ref.

From the symptoms I'd have suspected a CDN push failure of some sort - but I've no idea what you folks use for end to end ...

Ta, and thanks for all the work.

1. Marco Fontani

but I've no idea what you folks use for end to end ...

There's some info at http://www.theregister.co.uk/about/company/website/ which has been recently updated

a CDN push failure of some sort

Nope, good 'ole fashioned PEBKAC on our part...

Maybe a link to webmaster would be in order somewhere at the bottom

There's a very roundabout one: the "send us news tips" links to how to contact The Register for various things: news tips, ads issues, website issues, etc.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon