back to article EU dings Sony, Panasonic over rechargeable battery cartel

The great battery scam has reached a milestone in Europe. The European Commission this week imposed a settlement fine of €166m on a trio of Japanese manufacturers for operating the price-fixing cartel. Sony, Panasonic and Sanyo used an increase in the price of cobalt as a pretext to collude to fix prices, Competition …

1. Anonymous Blowhard
    Flame

Good job Samsung had their own reliable battery supply sorted out before grassing up these three...

2. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Flame

And the victims of the scam ...

see fuck all of this money.

I'm still waiting for a refund on all that VAT I paid (under threat of prison !) on Jaffa cakes.

1. TheProf

Re: And the victims of the scam ...

Yeah but if you did get the VAT back you'd only go and buy more Jaffa cakes,

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Reminds me of that gag that they had on the comedy version of Countdown. Jimmy Carr asked Sean Lock what he'd do if he was prime minister or whatever. Well you know all those people who got refunds for mis-sold PPI? He'd have them pay it all back.

2. Why Not?

they don't call him the Jaffa Jabba for nothing!

3. Arctic fox
    Flame

How often is Samsung going to be allowed to grass its way out of bother?

This is the third time that I remember that they have got away with monopolistic practices simply by squealing. If memory serves the previous occasions were in the European TV market. It is one thing to reduce their punishment in return for cooperation and quite another to allow them to get away scot free every time.

1. Sampler

Re: How often is Samsung going to be allowed to grass its way out of bother?

As long as other idiots keep colluding with them?

I mean, one you might not know or let slide, but by this point? Snitches get stitches, not invited back for the next gig...

2. S4qFBxkFFg

If I was making that decision, it would be quite simple.

Situation 1: Samsung does not co-operate - (attempt to) fine them all, receive €X.

Situation 2: Samsung co-operates and provides useful evidence - fine everyone else, receive €Y.

If Y>X, then encourage co-operation.

Remember, with a lack of evidence X may well be zero.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

While they have behaved badly and in an ideal world should be punished, the motivation here is the making the market function.

As such, having a massive electrogadget company who is willing to both join cartels, then grass them all up performs two societally useful tasks: it prevents cartels from forming ( can't form without samsung, can't form with them without getting your collar felt ) and also any cartels that do manage to form don't last long.

I'd say that we should encourage Samsung to join as many cartels as it likes.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

you have to remember, there is no giant Samsung mother brain.. its lots of different companies and departments doing different things. The people who arranged the cartel are probably not the ones that discovered it and then did the (right thing)tm in alerting the relevant legal structures as to what had been going on.

If its the same guy, in a corner office somewhere, setting up and then squaling on cartels then I agree its a bit weird (and any other companies should probably take note to not listen to samsungs suggestions of price fixing too often (especially if its the same guy over and over).

But most likely its a case of the left hand setting up cartels and the right hand firing the left hand and then self reporting that the left hand has been up to no good again. there is no point in punishing the right hand for speaking up - that just makes sure that the left hand gets away with stuff. And you can be pretty sure that at least some heads rolled in Samsung because of this (although probably not as many as should have rolled).

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

covered lithium iron batteries used in mobile phones

No wonder mobiles weighed so much in the early noughties. Hopefuly lithium ion batteries will fair better !!!

1. Lotaresco
      Coat

Re: covered lithium iron batteries used in mobile phones

The price of goods made with iron is increasing, this has enabled Tata to keep its steel plants in production. That's a good excuse to put up the price of Lithium-Iron batteries. Let's form a cartel!

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: covered lithium iron batteries used in mobile phones

Hopefuly lithium ion batteries will fair better !!!
      Not fair of me perhaps, but fare better might be a better way to phrase that :-)

5. David 18

Payback?

Wonder if there is any evidence of a link between the suppliers of Note7 batteries and the fined companies.....

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: Payback?

1st supplier: Samsung SDI

2nd supplier: ATL

Neither of them got fined.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price fixing common, enforcement not.

Canada is known for White Collar crime but we do have anti-combine laws. Getting them enforced is next to impossible and such cases as the chocolate price-fixing occur only because businesses themselves use government agencies and our laws to advance their interests.

Canada has so many obvious price fixing practices in so many industries any agency serious about prosecuting such White Collar crime would be assured of decades of work. It isn't even seen as illegal and is described as "Best Practice", or just business, or free market, as if there was anything like a free market. If there was the banks would have been broke long ago.

Speaking of price fixing Canadian banks are masters of the craft. But of course that is a good thing since most Canadian governments are beholden to them and hold stock.

I wonder what our economy would look like if business could not collude or cooperate to maximise profits at the expense of the people and the country?

7. MJI Silver badge

One quick question

Do Sony, Panasonic, and Sanyo batteries explode anything like Samsung batteries?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: One quick question

I think Samsung has the market cornered on 'sploding' batteries...

2. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: One quick question

Can't remember bad batches from Panasonic, but Sanyo has had few recalls and Sony had quite a lot.

Discounting mistreatments, of course. Every lithium cell can combust if mistreated.

8. naive

Nice, I hope next they fix the sparc plugs Cartel in Europe

6 Bosch plugs for my Beamer cost over hundred Euros, very frustrating to see the same plugs in the US ebay.com for $ 24,-. Same for NGK plugs.

Ridiculous prices in Europe.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice, I hope next they fix the sparc plugs Cartel in Europe

Ridiculous prices in Europe.

But since we see major companies being fined big money YET AGAIN for competition law breaches,

it is clear that in the longer term "game" the risk is worth taking (otherwise we wouldn't continue to see investigations and fines). And by implication the majority of breaches go undetected and unpunished.

The thing is that monetary fines don't scare big companies. That's just an occupational hazard and rarely affects bonuses. What does scare big companies is "punishments in kind", like a temporary sales ban, because that affects the top and bottom line and does harm bonuses, and there's the shame of having to turn down business. Another measure the authorities might consider is rather than fines as a percentage of turnover, fines as a percentage of equity, paid in new equity. That would permanently dilute the existing shareholder's returns and avoid fines paid by customers.

2. gnasher729 Silver badge

I bet the 6 original Bosch plugs for $24 come from the same place that makes all the 100% genuine Apple chargers that you find on Amazon. They come with life long guarantee. Your life :-(

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Are those Bosch plugs on Ebay in the US genuine?

Remember that a very high percentage of 'new' goods sold on FleaBay are fake.

Remember the scam over SD/CF cards? They appeared to be say 2GB but were actually only 128Mb and were doctored to simply overwrite old picture with new ones instead of saying 'I am full'.

Just a word of caution.

4. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

For cheap plugs, first thing to do is to check that "Bosch" is spelled correctly. ;-)

Good equivalents are rarely less than half the price of an original part. If somebody sells them very cheaply, caution is in order - they may be counterfeit, stolen, refurbished, or just a different type.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So they were guilty of the charge. Shame on them. Shame on me the obvious pun.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like