back to article Pluck-over-success underdog hires Olympic ski jumper as Xmas bash speaker

Christmas is a time to remember those less fortunate, and classic British underdog Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards may have had this in mind when he was guest speaker at IBM’s festive knees-up for tech resellers last week. The famous loser, which hasn't grown sales for almost four years, invited Edwards to regale the channel folk at …

1. Steve K

Former palsterer?

I believe he is still a plasterer - he popped up on DIY SOS a while back - in his plastering capacity - and pitched in to a renovation project.

A genuinely nice chap by all accounts, with one hell of a back story!

1. JetSetJim

Re: Former palsterer?

For some reason I'd remembered him as a double glazing salesman - perhaps that was merely my brain playing tricks on me because of his glasses, but you're right, he has a building business in Gloucester, according to the Telegraph (I can imagine it being stated as Chelt elsewhere to give it a better image, though). Fascinating chap, though.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

He is a really nice genuine guy, although I had skiing lessons from him and he wasn't so good at teaching how to ski. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for the lessons!

3. Lotaresco
      Coat

"I believe he is still a plasterer"

So when did he give up his job as a palsterer? I mean those palsters won't make themselves and it's a heritage craft skill much in demand.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eddie the Eagle

Faced immense odds, adversity, showed grit, determination with the sure fire knowledge that he would not succeed.

Seems like IBM's preparing for Brexit and bad times ahead.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Eddie the Eagle

He succeeded for his measure and definition of success - he jumped at the Olympics.

Sometimes, the key to success if correctly defining your expectations.

1. Snowy Silver badge

Re: Eddie the Eagle

Indeed then they changed the rules to stop it happening again :(

3. MJI Silver badge

Are you sure?

He was not there to plaster the place?

Good plasterer I have heard and loves not being recognised.

Oh and Cheltenham based.

Was a local hero

4. Lotaresco

The famous loser

<snigger>

One bad decision after another since 1984.

5. ManMountain1

Seems very appropriate ... went downhill fast and finished in last place.

I'm here all week!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like