back to article Hardware Labs sees off Nvidia trademark sueball-smasher in court

Nvidia’s attempt to nix an EU trademark infringement sueball by using the English courts has failed after a judge said a lawyer’s letter from Germany could not be regarded as a threat to sue in London. Hardware Labs Performance Systems Inc, a Philippines-based maker of computer cooling systems, instructed a German lawyer to …

1. frank ly

GTX and GTS

How many cars and motorcycles have a GTS or GTX model variant?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: GTX and GTS

Don't forget Castrol GTX (other oils are available).

2. Aladdin Sane

Hard to confuse a car with PC components.

1. Dwarf

That wont stop brainless legal cases being formed or run by zombies.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Hard to confuse a car with PC components.

The PC components were deliberately given a GT? label in order to exploit the analogy with a performance car.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What the poster means there is nothing wrong with having a car called GTX and a PC part called GTX.

Just like you can open Kebab shop called Microsoft, so long as your logo is significantly different.

The trademark infringement happens when you are in a similar market and / or likely to cause confusion.

1. PNGuinn
            Go

"Just like you can open Kebab shop called Microsoft, so long as your logo is significantly different."

There's got to be a connection there somewhere.

Slurp.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Possibly. But that logic didn't stop Sky sueing Microsoft over Skype in a trademark dispute.

1. waldo kitty
          Black Helicopters

Possibly. But that logic didn't stop Sky sueing Microsoft over Skype in a trademark dispute.

did Sky sue Skype before m$ bought them out?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"did Sky sue Skype before m$ bought them out?"

Dunno. But does it actually matter?

The relevancy is that Sky actually thought people would get confused between Satellite TV and a PC program simply because "Sky" was in the name and the logo (to a blind man) looked vaguely the same.

2. WonkoTheSane
          Headmaster

I think you meant SkyDrive (now OneDrive), not Skype.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"I think you meant SkyDrive (now OneDrive), not Skype."

Nope. Skype. Look it up.

3. Crazy Operations Guy

There are quite a few processor instruction sets with GT* mnemonics, so would they have grounds to sue as well?

2. Dwarf

I'm going to make a mint, er I mean stone.

Off to register FFS and idiot, which will be the new name for my rubber coated stones, these will be used for coating driveways and throwing at people. Loads of grip, no crunch noise when you walk on them and only pence to make, so $$PROFIT$$, available to idiots and called FFS because they are "Forced Feedback Stones",

Should be able to stop manufacturing in a couple of years then make millions from the legal stuff instead.

The only problem is that some have rounded corners due to the manufacturing process, but I don't expect anyone will object to that minor problem

3. whoseyourdaddy

I'm struck by the irony the company name is...

Hardware Labs.

Since I'm at work...

*clickety* *clickety* AVL (approved vendor list)

Search for "hardware labs".

*no records returned*

Damn. Delete Pleasure denied.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'Search for "hardware labs".

*no records returned* '

Search for "graphics cards made or designed by Hardware Labs".

*fewer than no relevant records returned*

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some trivia

Mr Justice Mann. He's the same judge that George Lucas to "do one" when he tried to make the Shepperton Design Studios stop making Star Wars Stormtrooper costumes.

'member Stormtroopers?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sky vs Skype

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32593735

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stranger things

methinks that the green team just tried to throw their weight around here and got punched back by a company from the third world.

a quick trademark search for gtx shows that nvidia also backed off from an opposition issued by hardware labs a few years ago.

https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/011947082

they're either dealing with a very sophisticated company (from the philippine) or were very sloppy in their case preparation. or maybe both. why else would they file an application and then ask for a stay?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. Boothy

Why are Hardware Labs even doing this?

First, as people have mentioned, names like GTS, GTX etc are quite generic amongst performance devices.

nVidia also seem to have Prior art, as they've been using GTS since the 'GeForce2 GTS' in 2000, and GTX since at least 2005.

Hardware Labs, as far as I can tell from some searching (please correct me if anyone knows different), were founded in 2005, and made car parts back then!

At some point since then (and presumably after nVidia had been using the GTS and GTX names), they switched from producing car parts, to PC cooling radiators, and it's these radiators that have the GTS/GTX name.

So the only commonality, other than the name, is they are both for use in a PC, but otherwise are completely different product categories.

How exactly is anyone going to confuse a liquid cooling radiator, with a GFX Card?

Especially as these will be PC enthusiast components, i.e. people who build their own systems, and so can easily figure out what's what!

I can't see how Hardware Labs has a leg to stand on here, and I'd think this could even damage their own market, as any nVidia fanboy out there (and there are lots), on hearing about this, are likely to add Hardware Labs to their black-list, and go get their cooling solution from someone else!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like