back to article New British flying robot killer death machines renamed 'Protector'

The UK Ministry of Defence has tried to rebrand its latest batch of airborne death machines as “Protector” drones rather than their actual trade name of Reaper. The so-called Protector drones are actually based on the latest model of the General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper drone – known in its latest variant as the Predator – which …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wedding-guest? Meatfucker?

1. Christoph

Slaughter McSlaughterface?

1. TRT Silver badge

I think that our resident down voter would prefer "Defendery Mc Defenderface" or "Protecting-the-nationy McNationface".

1. Kurt Meyer

@ TRT

"I think that our resident down voter would prefer "Defendery Mc Defenderface" or "Protecting-the-nationy McNationface"."

Or, perhaps, the 'Fill-in-the-blank-McBlankface' joke has gotten old. Very old.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Pry Minister"

2. Shugyosha

@Kurt Meyer

This is a site where one in every two threads will eventually break into a four decades old Monty Python routine. Here, the older and more hackneyed the joke, the more appreciated it is.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
              Coat

Re: @Kurt Meyer

"Here, the older and more hackneyed the joke, the more appreciated it is."

And many of us have took an arrow to knee in defence of this honourable tradition.

3. not.known@this.address

Not a surprise though

As we live in a nation where the most popular "celebrity" in a TV show is only a celebrity because she is in a TV show that is nothing more than a bunch of characterful people watching and talking about OTHER TV shows, it should be no surprise that so many people find "(%)y Mc(%)face" so funny.

I really do worry about who is going to look after me in the few years between retiring and dying... the current up-and-coming generations are about as reassuring as a chocolate fireguard...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ex officio

I suppose he's the Ministry of Truth's official troll.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

Much better name:

Fluffy Bunny Sir Hugs-a-Lot.

1. Mayhem

Actually sir fluffy bunny isn't too far from the truth

Have a read of https://www.wired.com/2011/01/death-wears-a-snuggie/

My favourite is the shoulder patch for one group of missileers...

Nuclear Missile Combat Crew - Death Wears Bunny Slippers

1. Santa from Exeter
            FAIL

Adblocker - blocked :-(

I would read it, but as I run an Ad Blocker, Wired has decided not to show me anything past the first screen.

2. fidodogbreath

(Un)happy Ending?

3. Mog_X

Upvote for the Culture reference. Other suitable names could be 'Well I Was In The Neighbourhood' , 'Outstanding Contribution to the Historical Process' or 'Honest Mistake'

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My favourite

"Accidental Mistake". (Which seems to betray a guilty awareness that some mistakes are intentional).

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: @ Shugyosha

I think @Kurt Meyer might have come here for an argument.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shouldn't these be paid for the the US? After all, they are being used to do their dirty work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is the finger that pushes the missile launch button for this gadget American or British?

1. annodomini2

RAF pilot but based in the US.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

When did they move out of RAF Waddington?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Less direct

I think you'll find that American government money has paid for some less obvious assets in the UK. Hence, perhaps, some of our "defence" decisions. Otherwise, who could possibly believe that slaughtering lots of innocent civilians in Asia and Africa contributes to our safety?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As in "We had to kill all the inhabitants of the village in order to Protect them" ?

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

No ones going to hurt them in the future, are they now?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Mushroom

Peacekeep at will with extreme prejudice.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Peacekeepers in Farscape spring to mind...

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Oh dear ..

Now't wrong with Peacekeepers ... Claudia Black ... err ... where's the tap for the cold shower? :-)

3. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Module Protector.exe killed process Inhabitants.exe to protect village kernel.

Please reboot. If problems persist, please contact support@porkbarrelldeathmachinemaker.com

4. macjules

For Your Protection

"The AGM-114 Hellfire now being fired towards you is simply for your added protection. Please note that your death is being recorded and may be used to assist in future staff training"

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: For Your Protection

s/fired towards you/complimentarily deployed for your immediate attention/g

Otherwise it's all good.

5. Arthur the cat Silver badge

'Reaper' and 'Predator' were too aggressive

Given that they regularly attack wedding parties, they should have gone for "pre-emptive mother-in-law problem remover". That actually sounds useful.

1. Mark 85

Re: 'Reaper' and 'Predator' were too aggressive

Every time I hear it called the Reaper, I get an ear bud from Blue Oyster Cult. Scary....

6. Gasp!

ha!

Brimstone is a bit dark as well - renamed Jellystone

1. Tony Haines

Re: ha!

"The RAF’s [Protectors] will carry Brimstone 2 missiles"

I agree, too severe. Perhaps we could call them "goodwill ambassadors"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Perhaps we could call them "goodwill ambassadors"

Isn't that what Trump wanted Farage for?

Come to think of it if you are looking for a name for something that falls from the sky and causes widespread damage while protecting the UK from foreign invaders then "Farage" might be about right.

It would at least present some decent challenges for the newsreader who had to report on Farage barrage carnage of a marriage carriage.

1. PhillW

how about shooting Farage out of one of them?

Could be followed by a bunker busting trump (fnar fnar) just to ensure the kill!

1. macjules

That's going a bit far. We are signatories to the Geneva Convention you know. Firing Farage at our enemies could be considered grounds for an ICT hearing.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Potentially amusing, until you recollect that Farage has always come out strongly against said slaughtering. (He doesn't make an issue of it unless asked a specific question, because sadly it's such a vote-loser).

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Reinforcment of good will."

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I agree, too severe. Perhaps we could call them "goodwill ambassadors"

Or just call them Boris Johnsons. They have about the same effect on foreign relations.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ha! - Brimstone is a bit dark as well - renamed Jellystone

The RN used to give its smaller ships friendly names like Kingfisher or Gannet. Till you remember that kingfishers and gannets are pretty deadly when you're fish-shaped.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

The RN used to give its smaller ships friendly names like Kingfisher or Gannet. Till you remember that kingfishers and gannets are pretty deadly when you're fish-shaped.

There were Flower class sloops in the First World War, and Flower class corvettes in the Second. HMS Daffodil doesn't seem that aggressive.

There have also been several ships called HMS Terrible, the last a 1940s aircraft carrier. Maybe reviving that name would be a little too close to the truth, given the aircraft carriers that don't have any aircraft, the destroyers that can't be used in warm water etc.

1. lglethal Silver badge
          Trollface

To paraphrase from Sir Terry

We can call them Terrific, i.e. they inspire terror...

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

There was also the Insect-class, with names such as Dragonfly and Cockchafer

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

<i<The RN used to give its smaller ships friendly names like....Gannet.</i>

Friendly only to people who don't know what a gannet is.

If the twats who give names to military products had thought for about 20 nanoseconds, they'd have realised that instead of "Brimstone", "Hellfire", Statanic Death" or the other usual missile names, they would have had far less of a PR problem choosing names like "Gannet", "Kingfisher", and "Kinell".

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Kinell".

Does that come in an F variant? F-Kinell?

7. SkippyBing

I have heard the name change was driven by our former Prime Minister, you know, the one who couldn't organise a referendum, as he didn't feel it would go across well if he announced we were buying drones with too aggressive a name. It's a bit odd as we stopped giving foreign military equipment a different name in WW2 as we found it just got confusing trying to order spares etc. Hence we named the Wildcat the Martlet and the Avenger the Tarpon for a bit until sanity prevailed.

There was a slight logic to the renaming as the UK had a policy with naval fighters being named after birds, naval bombers after game fish, land fighters being named after meteorological phenomena etc. I mean there probably is still a policy we just don't make enough for it to be noticeable now.

1. TRT Silver badge

So the new policy is...

To name them after "Golden era" ITC TV shows...

Might I suggest then...

The Persuader.

The Avenger.

The Champion.

The Adventurer.

The Baron.

The Saint.

The Jason King.

All handled by Department S, of course.

1. Jemma

Re: So the new policy is...

More like

The Arthur

The Uncle Albert

The Rodney

The Frank (Spencer or Drebin)

The Trigger

The Granville

I could go on...

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: So the new policy is...

Or in honour of the late Peter Vaughan, The Grouty.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like