back to article Linus Torvalds finds 163 reasons to wait a week for a new Linux

Linus Torvalds told the world that if it wanted a new Linux he needed a quiet week. But he didn't get it and now the world has an eighth release candidate of Linux 4.9 to consider. The Linux Lord's weekly what's up with Linux post says “things haven't been bad, but it also hasn't been the complete quiet that would have made me …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

"we may have to do without Linux 4.10 until March 2017"

Version numbers in Linux seem to have suffered the same fate that has fallen Chrome and Firefox. Once upon a time it seemed we were on 2.26 for an age... and we were thankful for it.

1. yossarianuk

Re: "we may have to do without Linux 4.10 until March 2017"

There are the LTS branches also..

https://www.linux.com/news/44-linux-kernel-long-term-support-release-now-available

2. WibbleMe

Christmas party's getting in the way again

1. GBE

> Christmas party's getting in the way again

I'd always heard about England's office Christmas parties. But, all of the office parties I'd been to here in the US over the years have been pretty sedate, so I didn't really take too seriously what I'd heard about the English version. Then I went to a Real English Office Christmas Party(TM). To quote Roy from _The_IT_Crowd_: "You people drink like you don't want to live".

IIRC, the organizer told me that she budgeted for one bottle of wine per person plus beer, cider, and mixed drinks for everybody...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

In true Grolsch fashion...

Shhtopp!

You'll only get it when it's ready!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRBcVswKTWE

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take Christmas and the new year off, please.

The Heart-bleed bug was introduced late on new years eve. If only that programmer had been partying instead of coding.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Take Christmas and the new year off, please.

The Heart-bleed bug was introduced late on new years eve. If only that programmer had been partying instead of coding.

Maybe doing both...

I've had a few long lunches* and come back to put in a few really productive hours at the office (or so I thought at the time) only to come in the next morning and look at the code and think wha???

* Usually company sponsored events.

1. Daggerchild Silver badge
        Pint

Heh. You fail to make progress on an issue as you cannot see a safe path.

A few beers later. Of course! It's simple! Duh! Codeycodeycodey.

Next morning. Bugfixing hangover hellslog.

And yet, at the end, progress is in fact made. I suspect a lot of civilisation's advances came about like this..

2. admiraljkb
        Pint

"I've had a few long lunches* and come back to put in a few really productive hours at the office (or so I thought at the time) only to come in the next morning and look at the code and think wha???"

I've had something similar... Had an accident during a weekend where my hand got sliced open and had to be sutured, the obligatory shot of morphine, then some oxy-codone for afterwards... I felt FINE (morethanfine) the following day as I was still taking pain pills, and since I thought I felt "normal", just WFH'd and got some code knocked out. Unfortunately/fortunately I didn't have anyone to code review, so I left it for the following day. Yeah... next day rolls around, and I'm NOT on pain pills... Looking at the code... WTF, who the HELL WROTE THIS? Uhhh, It was indeed me, but I didn't actually recognize "this brilliant code I wrote yesterday". Thankfully I didn't check it in...

the Beer for obvious reasons... Don't drink and code kids! :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Partying from 11th December 2016 till March 2017?

Damn there must be such a thing as FOSS free beer.

1. Vic

Re: Partying from 11th December 2016 till March 2017?

Damn there must be such a thing as FOSS free beer.

Indeed there is.

Vic.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

my 2.6.34 and 3.10 kernels are happy

You can keep that buggy bleeding edge crap cooking for another year or two.

1. Dazed and Confused
      Happy

Re: my 2.6.34 and 3.10 kernels are happy

> ‌2.6.34

seems a bit new fangled to me, 2.6.32 is where RHEL/CentOS 6 is at. That 3.10 stuff comes with systemd in DeadRat land and we don't want to go there if we can help it.

7. Bronek Kozicki

Actually

... merge window for Linux 4.10 will be shorter than usual., not longer as "predicted" in the article

1. Poncey McPonceface
      Linux

Re: Actually

Ah, very true.

> Yes, yes, I could have instead extended the merge window (I've done so

> in the past), but considering the above, I'd much rather we all take a

> break over the holidays and get the merge window over and done with

> early.

> Just so you know. I'm not going to be at all interested in late pull

> requests. At that point, things will be ruthlessly just skipped and

> they can wait for 4.11 instead.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like