back to article Microsoft refuses to join the Zero Outage brigade, Google and AWS keep mum

Microsoft snubbed an invitation to join a brigade of tech titans that linked arms to work on minimising network crashes that can cripple cloud service availability. The Zero Outage initiative was launched in November by founding members HPE, Cisco, Brocade, HDS, Dell EMC, Fortinet, Juniper, NetApp, SAP, SUSE, T-Systems and IBM …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Common Sense

"Back in 2011, Microsoft admitted that it can’t guarantee 100 per cent uptime"

Anyone that says they can is a liar. Walk away.

Yes our sales teams have said such a thing, but they are idiots.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Common Sense

Hardware aside they really should be able to guarantee at least with their server products software issues won't ever bring the OS down (at least on some officially supported configurations). Not sure if HP-UX guarantees it but never once seen an software caused OS crash with it. Of course in that case HP does control the type of hardware the OS supports and most important the device drivers. If you don't have the source for every driver that you say your OS officially supports then yeah its a kamikaze mission to guarantee anything.

2. Ole Juul

Absolutes are always a myth. However, the internet has never reached the level of reliability that would normally be expected from something that we call infrastructure. Unfortunately with constant development and sales demanding new things be implemented before they can reasonably be considered out of beta, things don't look like they're going to improve any time soon. Microsoft knows this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I agree totally about internet cloud availability (topic at hand I suppose) but was speaking more about OS software reliability in general (admittedly a bit off topic).

2. Nolveys
    Headmaster

“Anyone is the IT industry that wants to join, it is open."

Private customer parking only, all others will be toad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: “Anyone is the IT industry that wants to join, it is open."

Engrish: I damn near wet myself reading some of those.

Thank you

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks to me like the big players have their own solutions to their own problems, and are not interested in sharing their infrastructure secrets...?

1. Peter2 Silver badge

But why would they be interested in joining?

People without the experience are interested in joining to gain experience from other people and avoid the problems they have had. If your a large player and have already figured out more than the group, then it's in your interest not to co-operate. The competition then discovers the problems the hard way, costing them money and reputation in downtime, plus time spent figuring out how to prevent that problem.

You ONLY join something like this if your expecting some gain out of it, and in this case the PR gain from joining isn't worth the expense of handing the competition your experience and procedures because these are as much of an asset as money is. This sort of stuff for an operations place is the same as source code is to a software house, you don't give it to your competition to have a look.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, let me see, a bunch of companies who have entirely failed to deliver anything useful on the cloud want the cloud companies who have delivered good (if not perfect) resilience to share all their secrets ?

I'm not entirely surprised that Microsoft et al declined the kind offer to join.

5. Tim Seely 1
    Thumb Down

Draconian for Service Providers

As a former employee of one of T-Systems providers, and having had to work with the Service Desk to try and figure out if/how their version of this nonsense could be implemented, it is extremely harsh for the provider and demands massive resource focus when there is an outage no matter whether it is something under your control, or beyond it.

Not a fan of MS, but completely understand why they're not interested.

6. Colin Millar

Going all retro on us

"More complete testing"

How quaint - that was a 20th century thing wasn't it?

7. Howard Hanek
    Linux

Without Drugs?

.......the drug dependent staff believes that to be an impossibility.

8. W. Anderson

Furtherance of Microsoft dystopia.

The excuse syndrome for Microsoft has set in, since none of the companies in the Zero Outage cooperative have ever claimed to guarantee 100% uptime, but work together to significantly reduce vulnerabilities with such program.

It is unlikely that much improvement can or will be made with Microsoft software for reliability and security, since tens of millions of their naive, ignorance and "fact" dis-believing supporters will go on buying such broken technology, and won't hold the company to any sane standard of quality in their products.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like