1. WolfFan Silver badge

Windows 10 Ad Hell

I have just put ad-blockers into my iPad and iPhone devices. Why? Because the last three times I went to El Reg's home page I got a Windows 10 pop-over ad, that's why. And the damn thing hid the click-to-close button. I put up with the adds featuring the guy with the orange-and-black swirly things for eyes; they were static, and easily ignored. I put up with the ads for various hardware; they also were static and ignorable, and one or two actually had worthwhile info. I got out the stake and mallet and axe and shovel and hammered a stake into the heart of the Windows ad that would not dies, hacked off its head, and buried head and body separately at a crossroads. Having gone to the trouble of installing an ad-blocker just for that Win 10 ad, it will be a very long time before I disable it for any site, and longer still before I disable it for El Reg. As I noted in an email to the webmaster, whoever sets up ads for El Reg is to be congratulated on doing a bang-up job. That ad certainly motivated me to action. Possibly not the action the advertiser wanted, but action none-the-less. Who says advertising doesn't work?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon