back to article No spoilers! Norway won't tell Snowden if US will snatch him on a visit

Whistleblower Edward Snowden will not visit Norway to pick up the Ossietzky Prize, awarded for “outstanding efforts for freedom of expression”, after the nation's Supreme Court decided its foreign ministry does not have to say in advance whether the Russian resident would face extradition. The United States has charged Snowden …

1. stephanh

a simple solution

I propose Snowden travels to Boris Gleb in the Murmansk oblast. There, he can receive the award at the Norway-Russian border crossing.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I doubt there is anything simple in this whole affair.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I doubt there is anything simple in this whole affair."

There could be. An offer of safe passage.

I think we can say that the Norwegian govt. aren't going to be in line for the prize next year.

1. Danny 14

That would look like a proper checkpoint Charlie exchange. I don't want to google and spoil the image in my head of a band playing on the Normway side of a bridge with some large BMWs on the Russianside of the bridge. Snowden picking up a package in the middle whilst a few plain dressed people (talking into their lapels) sit in plain looking SUVs watch on (from the Norway side).

Ok, so I watched bridge of spies the other week....

2. Windrose

And again: an extradition is decided by the courts, in Norway. The courts can't do so UNTIL they get an actual extradition REQUEST. Which they ain't got. The gov. are not allowed to mess with the courts.

Nothing to see. So far Norway has refused to break the law.

1. veti Silver badge

Norway doesn't have to break the law. Its government could offer a promise of safe conduct. Or diplomatic immunity for a limited time. There are options - if they were willing to take the heat from the states.

1. Likkie

Why would Norway (a NATO member that has a border with Russia) do anything to offend the USA (its most heavily armed ally) in order to present some bloke with an award?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: a simple solution

FYI - Obama was asked, and said earlier this month, that not only will he refuse to pardon Snowden before leaving office but he still wants Snowden to stand trial!

The final irony is that in an interview this month. Snowden said that while he has been concerned that Obama will extradite him, he does not believe that Trump would extradite him despite Trump's rhetoric during the campaign. There is some indication that Trump might reverse his previous extreme position and understand that "Snowden acted in the best interests of the United States".

In other news, left is right and up is down. You can't make this stuff up.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: a simple solution

"Obama was asked, and said earlier this month, that not only will he refuse to pardon Snowden before leaving office but he still wants Snowden to stand trial"

Obama is seen in the US as being "left-wing" but, as statements like this should illustrate, Obama and the Democratic Party actually stand to the right of the world-wide political spectrum. America has two political parties, Right Wing, and Very Right Wing.

Personally, I'd pardon Snowden and give him the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Correction: Advanced?

..foreign ministry does not have to say in advanced whether...

I think you mean "in advance", no 'd'.

...as an Anonymous Coward, I'm not sending the correction to the corrections email address.

1. Danny 14

Re: Correction: Advanced?

or was it advanced weather? Perhaps they can only give judgement when the forecasts are given?

3. ratfox

If I was Snowden, I wouldn't push my luck either...

Then again, if I was him, I'd still be working as a contractor for the NSA.

4. alain williams Silver badge

Another solution ?

Have a sympathetic nation make him a diplomat and thus give him diplomatic immunity. Ecuador (Assange's hoteliers) might do it. However: I suspect that the USA might just snatch him and point two fingers to normal diplomatic rules.

1. Schlimnitz
      Headmaster

Re: Another solution ?

I think if it were Americans, it would be one finger?

1. Me19713
        Pirate

Yup, one finger -- the other hand would grab him by the short hairs, throw him onto a private jet and rendition his sorry ass to Guantanamo. Good riddance.

Or he just might fall out of the plane over the Bermuda Triangle. :-)

2. John H Woods Silver badge

"However: I suspect that the USA might just snatch him and point two fingers to normal diplomatic rules." --- alain williams

Surely not. It's not as if their president elect would make a massive and totally unecessary diplomatic faux pas in the early days of his tenure by, for instance, getting so excited about arranging "finalists" for the top jobs that he thinks he can suggest who should take top jobs in other countries?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A crime to report a crime.

What kind of liberal democracy is it when it becomes so much of a crime to report State sponsored crime than it has to be reported to the media and the person exposing the crime has to flee and hide or face endless torture in GTMO type dungeons? Today the answer is American, Russian and maybe your country as well?

1. Oengus

Re: A crime to report a crime.

The crime wasn't reporting the crime. It was embarrassing the government that was the crime.

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Happy

endure another Russian winter.

Not so sure that a Norwegian winter is all that much warmer in practical terms.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Even if they said they won't

Who's to say he wouldn't be renditioned anyway? Granted he's a high profile person and AFAIK that's only been used on nobody terrorists out of the public eye, so I think it is unlikely, but if I were him I sure wouldn't bet my freedom on it! Norway could protest, but a protest after the fact wouldn't do him much good.

8. cd

Be interesting to see if the new pres makes a deal with SovGov about this. Someone would have to teach him, using words of one-syllable and/or real estate metaphors, what it's about.

9. Sebastian A

So that's a "yes, they will." then.

10. Patrick R
    Black Helicopters

"Wikileaks... I love Wikileaks !"

then again

"... it's just words, ...just words."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like