nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Men overboard! US Navy spills data on 134k sailors

Silver badge

Could take years

for the navy to "see" evidence even if you can. They can be glacial in their recognition of evidence when it suits them.

Silver badge
Coat

Full Disclosure?

I have to wonder how often this sort of thing happens and no one says anything. Being that the US Navy is such a large organization it's hard to believe that they haven't had trouble with leaks involving seamen before.

Re: Full Disclosure?

Leaks involving seamen is invariably bad news.

Silver badge
Coat

@Andrew Commons

Leaks involving seamen is invariably bad news.

This usually comes from bad seals...

Thank you, I close here tomorrow with two shows! The late show can get a little blue if you know what I mean ;-}

Silver badge

Any news on Roger the Cabin Boy?

Silver badge

you gotta wonder

Why is there a list of Navy staff social security numbers on an HP staffer's laptop?

Silver badge

Re: you gotta wonder

Because our name and especially our SSN's are how we've been identified with since the end of the Vietnam War. Service numbers were abolished. BTW, that's how I'm tagged in the Veterans Affairs (& VA Hospital) databases.

Bit concerning but the VA losing a laptop with 20 million health records and, especially in my case, the OPM hack, well.... OPM had my information right back to which room I was kept in as a newborn, I shit you not.

Silver badge

I recall the stink that started when the military did that. Stupid, stupid, stupid. To this day, I'm still not sure why they pulled that.

Last I checked, I was still tagged by my service number...

Anonymous Coward

"Why is there a list of Navy staff social security numbers on an HP staffer's laptop?"

Because the kickstarter for the pissingfire.com sailor dating website only raised enough for the service to be built into a CSV.

Anonymous Coward

"Why is there a list of Navy staff social security numbers on an HP staffer's laptop?"

I know right. If someone sent me a package full of seamen I certainly wouldn't open it.

Anonymous Coward

Well.....

...hello SAILOR!

Silver badge

In the Navy

You will sail the seven seas

In the Navy

You'll lose your privacy...

Anonymous Coward

Insert ..

.. obvious "sea men / leaking" jokes here :)

Anonymous Coward

Re: Insert ..

All these vulgar spaff jokes make me sick.

I should have taken the warning my content filter precum-puted.

Trollface

Re: Insert ..

I was wondering how far down I'd have to scroll before I'd finally see this one.

Silver badge

"Free credit monitoring" is being offered as per bloody usual. All that means, really, is they're offering to watch while your world burns.

Silver badge

It's not free credit monitoring. It's an opportunity to give yet more fully validated data to the credit reference agencies. Scam all the way.

Anonymous Coward

Hello Sailor!

x 134,000

Another one to add to the list of meaningless PR buzzphases

'We take X extremely seriously' = now that we have been found not to have been taking X seriously at all.

This joins

'We apologise for the inconvenience' = we don't give a shit

'Is our highest priority' = after making money, of course

'We are sorry that people feel .." = we want to sound apologetic but are not

'Robust' = we need a positive-sounding adjective that can mean whatever we want

Anyone else care to add?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing