back to article Men overboard! US Navy spills data on 134k sailors

The United States Navy has revealed that the names and social security numbers on 134,386 current and former employees has leaked, thanks to the compromise of a laptop used by a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Services staffer. The IT contractor and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service probed the data loss finding that "unknown …

1. redpawn

Could take years

for the navy to "see" evidence even if you can. They can be glacial in their recognition of evidence when it suits them.

2. Nolveys
    Coat

Full Disclosure?

I have to wonder how often this sort of thing happens and no one says anything. Being that the US Navy is such a large organization it's hard to believe that they haven't had trouble with leaks involving seamen before.

1. Andrew Commons

Re: Full Disclosure?

Leaks involving seamen is invariably bad news.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Coat

@Andrew Commons

Leaks involving seamen is invariably bad news.

This usually comes from bad seals...

Thank you, I close here tomorrow with two shows! The late show can get a little blue if you know what I mean ;-}

1. Korev Silver badge

Any news on Roger the Cabin Boy?

3. Ole Juul

you gotta wonder

Why is there a list of Navy staff social security numbers on an HP staffer's laptop?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: you gotta wonder

Because our name and especially our SSN's are how we've been identified with since the end of the Vietnam War. Service numbers were abolished. BTW, that's how I'm tagged in the Veterans Affairs (& VA Hospital) databases.

Bit concerning but the VA losing a laptop with 20 million health records and, especially in my case, the OPM hack, well.... OPM had my information right back to which room I was kept in as a newborn, I shit you not.

1. Mark 85

I recall the stink that started when the military did that. Stupid, stupid, stupid. To this day, I'm still not sure why they pulled that.

Last I checked, I was still tagged by my service number...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Why is there a list of Navy staff social security numbers on an HP staffer's laptop?"

Because the kickstarter for the pissingfire.com sailor dating website only raised enough for the service to be built into a CSV.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Why is there a list of Navy staff social security numbers on an HP staffer's laptop?"

I know right. If someone sent me a package full of seamen I certainly wouldn't open it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well.....

...hello SAILOR!

5. MrDamage Silver badge

In the Navy

You will sail the seven seas

In the Navy

You'll lose your privacy...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insert ..

.. obvious "sea men / leaking" jokes here :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Insert ..

All these vulgar spaff jokes make me sick.

I should have taken the warning my content filter precum-puted.

2. phread
      Trollface

Re: Insert ..

I was wondering how far down I'd have to scroll before I'd finally see this one.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Free credit monitoring" is being offered as per bloody usual. All that means, really, is they're offering to watch while your world burns.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

It's not free credit monitoring. It's an opportunity to give yet more fully validated data to the credit reference agencies. Scam all the way.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hello Sailor!

x 134,000

9. Maty

Another one to add to the list of meaningless PR buzzphases

'We take X extremely seriously' = now that we have been found not to have been taking X seriously at all.

This joins

'We apologise for the inconvenience' = we don't give a shit

'Is our highest priority' = after making money, of course

'We are sorry that people feel .." = we want to sound apologetic but are not

'Robust' = we need a positive-sounding adjective that can mean whatever we want

Anyone else care to add?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like