back to article Launch set for GOES-R satellite capable of 30-second weather updates

NASA meteorologists have given a 90 per cent chance of good weather for the launch of the revolutionary Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite – R Series (GOES‑R) on Saturday. GOES-R is possibly the most advanced weather satellite ever produced, capable of providing high-definition, multi-spectrum snapshots of …

1. Mark 85

I wish them luck and good weather. I also wish them well on getting the satellite oriented properly so that the instruments that are supposed to point to earth actually do. (Murphy's Law seems to be running amok lately).

2. David 132 Silver badge

So if it launches

...we can call it GOES-R the Goes-Air-ian?

(I apologize for the very, very weak Ghostbusters-related pun. Seriously, I wish them luck for Saturday.)

1. Brian Miller

Re: So if it launches

... but it was made out of an unusual magnesium-tungsten alloy, configured to know the machinations of chaotic elements, and designed, built, and manipulated by the cult of GOES-R.

Oh, yeah, we got weather coming, we got it coming...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A VERY good idea..

GOES‑R will be in a geo-stationary orbit looking down on the Americas

Yeah, we certainly need more eyes there anyway. Excellent idea! Is the camera feed open source? Can it follow little blond-with-orange clouds? Enquiring minds want to know..

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: A VERY good idea..

Is the camera feed open source

Why, yes it is. All the GOES satellite current imagery is at http://www.goes.noaa.gov/index.html

I just watched the launch from my back yard, from liftoff to MECO. Perfect weather. It's been really nice, cloudless and sunny, since the hurricane.

And then turned on NASA TV to watch the Soyuz MS-03 hatch opening at ISS. The first ISS launch was 18 years ago today. I feel old.

1. Charles 9

The satellite footage is public domain because it's a product of the US Government. That's the default status of products of the US Government unless there's an exception attached.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The satellite footage is public domain because it's a product of the US Government. That's the default status of products of the US Government unless there's an exception attached.

LOL, you guys either don't know your history or have never been involved with projectes that relate to NCW (NEC for UK people - network centric warfare / network enabled capability).

The VERY FIRST THING that happens to a US resource is that its facilities are degraded before the data is offered to any non-US military recipient. If you knew your history you'd remember that this was the reason GPS didn't use to be terribly accurate, if you had worked on force integration you'd know that the first thing you'd need to know about sensor-to-shooter links is that your sensor may deliberately not tell you the truth because it would reveal capability, which meant that the really fun stuff like taking down missiles had to be handled in-force or you'd never get the resolution you'd need.

Based on past experience I would thus not put too much stock in US assurances that it's fully open accessible data. It would be a frankly weird change of approach, and if anything, Trump is more likely to confirm that approach than change it.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And of course anything REMOTELY 'climate' related is massaged by a 'normalisation' package to ensure that the real world (appears to) comply with the massively profitable output of 'climate models' before it is released to the general public.

4. Brandon 2

No Dana..

... only Zuul

5. DaPotter

If this works as advertised, perhaps we can fund a few more and cover the globe. Maybe we Americans can offer them at cost and then crowd fund the rest?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Obligatory oblique xkcd reference: https://xkcd.com/1730/

6. Sureo

"...most dramatic weather in near-real time"

We experience the weather here in actual real time. Too often the weather forecast tells us what happened earlier. The future is a murky haze the forecasters are often unable to penetrate.

1. Charles 9

Re: "...most dramatic weather in near-real time"

But better data usually helps to clear the haze. At this point, this can only help.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

better data usually helps to clear the haze

That's what the Met Office have been saying for decades, Sadly,, many millions of quid on new kit don't have appeared to have improved the accuracy.

1. cray74

Sadly,, many millions of quid on new kit don't have appeared to have improved the accuracy.

I've found the UK Met Office claims "our four day forecast is as accurate as our one day forecast was 30 years ago" and provides an aftermath analysis of how the weather turned out compared to its forecast. (I'd love to see US weather stations follow suit.)

But does anyone have independent verification of the Met's performance in a useful, statistical fashion? I've found rants from the Daily Mail and plenty of internet cynicism, but they all seem to regurgitate and re-parse the Met's own numbers.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The future is a murky haze the forecasters are often unable to penetrate.

Except to climate scientists and politicians who are absolutely certain that the world is getting dangerously warm, that Brexit will ruin Britain, that there were really WMD in Iraq, that the banks couldn't possibly fail, that that Nice Mr Hitler wasn't really stupid enough to start another war.....

7. cray74

Great Launch

Because of the delays GOES-R went up after dark. It was an extremely clear night, so you could see features you normally missed like the red sparks of the boosters (their nozzles were hot) falling away. Also, the ghostly vapor trail of kerosene-oxygen first stage was visible. It doesn't normally show up against a blue daytime sky.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like