back to article Amazon's cloudy 'WorkSpace' desktops-as-a-service gain a GPU

Amazon Web Services' (AWS') desktop-as-a-service “WorkSpaces” just grew up. And got all muscly, too: the cloud colossus has announced a new option to add 1,536 CUDA GPU cores with 4GB of graphics memory. The new “Graphics bundle” also offers eight virtual CPUs and 15GB of RAM, plus a 100GB virtual disk for users on top of the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$1.75 for each hour of usage.

Hmm. At 8hrs/day, 230-day working year, that's around $3K per year. You could buy a nice new workstation every year for that, and not have to worry about it getting DDoSed, or otherwise being unavailable.

1. Dr. Mouse

However, you would have to worry about hardware failures, power, patching, backup, etc.

You also would not get, by default, the availability of the machine at multiple locations (home, work, hotel, trade show, client's office).

Also, if you do not use it 8h/d, the cost comes down. Say you only need that power available one day per week, or for a couple of months for a specific project, the costs scale down appreciably.

I'm not saying these outweigh the cost, but there are some specific instances where these would be much more suitable than purchasing a workstation.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Need some comparisons

Does someone on here have 'rule of thumb' costs for comparison? For a company with 100 users, each needing VPN and remote desktop, plus backup. Be nice to see if AWS is a serious contender.

2. MyffyW Silver badge

It's been a year or two since I ran the numbers for the behemoth I was working for at the time, but I recall figures ranging from GBP 500/yr for a locked down, managed desktop through to GBP 1500/yr for a let-a-thousand-flowers-bloom-and-pick-up-the-pieces-along-the-way lash-together.

There'll be a use case for AWS, just not one I'm that keen on at that price. A shame, because the concept is very appealing.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

running costs

"Hmm. At 8hrs/day, 230-day working year, that's around $3K per year. You could buy a nice new workstation every year for that, and not have to worry about it getting DDoSed, or otherwise being unavailable."

Yes you probably could buy a new workstation for that, but not run it as well. My calculations are that my old workhorse at home (circa 2008 dual-quad code) consumes between £700-£800 of leccy P/A.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: running costs

Don't forget the running costs of the local client machine.

You still need a box on the desk with screen(s) and power.

Yes it can be a much cheaper and lower-power machine, but the running and local support costs are not going to be much lower than for a beast of a machine.

That sort of remote-desktop really doesn't make sense to me.

Render farm, compile farm, yes, absolutely - far cheaper to rent by the hour than to fill a cupboard full of hardware.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: running costs

I wouldn't imagine the usecase would be fore a complete computing replacement more that as a user who occasionally requires access to a more powerful machine. They can use their cheap whatever machine (tablet/phone with doc, laptop or desktop pick as desired) for 90% of their workload then move over to the powerful machine when they need to do the powerful thing. Of course you need to monitor it carefully to see that you don't hit a tipping point where a dedicated local machine is a better idea.

2. frank ly

“are located just light-feet away”

How far is that in linguine?

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: “are located just light-feet away”

2 ft = 4.3545 lg according to the Reg online calculator :-)

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Re: “are located just light-feet away”

And in a sign of quite how bored I am that is approximately 236 attoKesselRuns, if you're in the Millennium Falcon.

[edited to reflect my poor mathematics]

3. Korev Silver badge
    Boffin

Latency?

Our scientists do things like move around protein models and zoom in and out on their screen all day and then select atoms etc. I can imagine this would be very frustrating to do if there's lag, has anyone tried this or something similar in terms of user input like CAD?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Latency?

There have been games systems based on this concept, and the lag was reported to be tolerable. More recently, some CAD vendors have similar offerings. I can't vouch for AWS specifically, but some CAD forums might be able to help you. Try a search for 'solidworks CAD'. :)

2. TheVogon

Remote graphics certainly works fine in 4K / PCoIP hardware remote display with solutions like AmuletHotkey and LAN / WAN connections

How it works with software based rendering and an internet connection is probably rather less great and presumably somewhat more resource intensive...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

We use a remote desktop working-from-home arrangement at my $dayjob.

Performance at home varies according to the whims of the internets and probably also load on the VPN gateway. Some days its absolutely fine - not noticeably different to being in teh office ... others its frustratingly horrible.

1. Korev Silver badge
          Pint

Thanks for the replies all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like