back to article Fleeing Aussie burglar shot in arse with bow and arrow

An alleged burglar was shot in the backside with a bow and arrow after an angry homeowner caught him trying to steal his car. The intruder managed to make off with cash, car keys and other items from the Sydney house before being caught by the 68-year-old man living in the house, according to the BBC. The aggrieved homeowner …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good shot Sir !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Forgot to say "Bums Eye"

2. tfewster

No victim => no crime?

Athough if a man with TWO holes in his arse comes forward to make a complaint...

1. Kurt Meyer

Re: No victim => no crime?

Category?

Why isn't this article filed under Buttnotes?

3. Semtex451

Shurly the "injured party" is the person who was burgled

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

He should be lucky

it was a recurve and not a compound bow, good chance it would of shattered his pelvis.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: He should be lucky

it was a recurve and not a compound bow

My exact thought. If it was something like my eight year old daughter's "toy" that person would have had a shattered pelvis or hipbone (even with the "harmless" training arrows). Even a "junior" compound bow for kids makes nice 9mm holes in 18mm plywood.

1. Marshalltown

It was probably just a target bow - ca. 30-40 lbs. Any hunting weight bow would have brought him down and a war bow would have probably driven the arrow through him and into the car door. Compound bows simply add leisure time for aiming.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Might be a straight Katniss

Even w/o shattered pelvis, there must be major risk of serious internal bleeding.

Better have a doctor look at that.

3. FuzzyWuzzys

"it was a recurve and not a compound bow, good chance it would of shattered his pelvis."

Even worse if they'd been using serrated,barbed field hunting tips on the arrows!

4. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

@ Lost all faith...

Now look what you've done, reminding me of this antipodean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Wj5iP5rDY

and now I can't get her out of my head...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPwtJ89jes4

4. wolfetone Silver badge
    Coat

Stealing a car - More of a pain in the arse than you think.

5. Anonymous IV
    Facepalm

An arrowing experience

Compulsory pun, sorry!

1. Alexander J. Martin

Re: An arrowing experience

I'm all a-quiver trying to think of a suitable response.

1. Henry Minute

The home owner wasn't Norman Stanley Fletcher, by any chance?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'd say the owner was a boxer. He did nock out the dude...

2. gregthecanuck
        Happy

Congratulations... LOL of the day awarded to you sir. :)

6. Joe Harrison

Bloke was lucky

Anyone who has ever used a bow will know which is the "dangerous end" of an arrow - it's the one with a plastic notch to fit the bowstring. Eye injuries from this end are quite frequent. The other end is called the "lethal end" with good reason. It's simple to kill someone with an arrow and if this guy had shuffled off the burglar I doubt if "but he bent my car" would have kept him out of jail.

1. Timmy B

Re: Bloke was lucky

You only really suffer eye injuries from the nock end when retrieving arrows from a target. As he didn't get to retrieve his arrow he was quite safe....

2. NinjasFTW

I understand the reasons behind it but I really hate that you can't defend yourself against 'minor' crimes.

Instead you are meant to let the cops handle it which basically means that they will take a statement and then throw it on the too hard pile unless you happen to be rich and/or know the right contacts to get it properly investigated.

Anecdotal story: A friend of mine has his garage broken into and had several motor cycles stolen. 12 months later he is advised that the police knew the culprit (licence plate of the van used was seen in the street), did nothing about it for 8 months before bringing the owner in for questioning and then deciding that too much time had passed to secure a conviction.

1. nijam Silver badge

> ... did nothing about it for 8 months ...

Aiding and abetting, surely?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I understand the reasons behind it but I really hate that you can't defend yourself against 'minor' crimes."

You can, in most jurisdictions. But in many jurisdictions, it stops being "self defence" when you shoot the person from behind, ie s/he is running away and you are no longer in personal danger.

1. Baldy50

This guy is brill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

The opinion of Guardia Civil and Policia Local officers I knew from the local range was don't call us just kill the fecker and dump the body in the hills.

2. herman

"Your honour, he was coming for me and I shot the arrow, but the arrow travels slowly, so he spun around and was hit in the derrier...".

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: so he spun around and was hit in the derrier

Cf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_New_York_City_Subway_shooting

3. Marshalltown

There is something wrong about being told by the police to be a compliant victim. Compliance means that you cede situational control to someone you absolutely know you can't trust. They are after all trying to rob you - at a minimum. If the fellow was unlucky, he'll show up with a serious soil-born bacterial infection in a few days. One can only hope.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Governments always try to disarm their citizens, easier to 'control' that way.

> "The opinion of Guardia Civil and Policia Local officers I knew from the local range was don't call us just kill the fecker and dump the body in the hills."

Here in the US it's called the "3 Esses: Shoot, shovel and shutup.

2. Suricou Raven

The aim of the advice is to make sure the robbery remains a robbery, and doesn't escalate into a murder. Police prioritise life over property, so from that perspective it's better to let the thief get away with it and hope to catch him later than to encourage the property owner to defend his home and risk one or the other ending up dead.

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

It will be a shame if the Archer gets charged

He was merely defending his property.

The felon needs to learn a lesson from this. Nicking cars is a right PITA for everyone concerned.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: It will be a shame if the Archer gets charged

"He was merely defending his property."

As much as I don't care for Trump I can only hope that our Merican friends don't vote for Hilary as she will make sure that no-one will defend their home ever again, at least not with anything more lethal than a loud voice...... ( and a quick email from your secret server )

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
        Pirate

" don't vote for Hilary as she will make sure that no-one will defend their home ever again"

I think you seriously underestimate the number of firearms we have here. Unless Hillary is planning to force the cops to do door-to-door search-and-seizures of weapons, we (us gun-toting rednecks, that is) will still have hundreds of millions of guns, even if she starts banning the manufacture and sale of certain of them (AR's, AK's). Not to mention the billions of rounds of ammo we have stored up for the impending zombie apocalypse.

I did find it humorous that the Aussie cops said "Do not confront a person in your house." As a Merican, the idea of that is completely foreign to me and runs counter to the basic instinct of "protect the house". But since Oz is mostly disarmed now, that's probably good advice, since the intruder may actually be armed - when they outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns, right?

1. hypernovasoftware

"protect the house"

You got that right. I find a stranger in my home and bang! they are toast. No questions asked.

2. IsJustabloke
        Facepalm

"she will make sure that no-one will defend their home ever again"

yes, fewer people shot by enraged homeowners (whether or not they are actually shooting burglars) would be such a dreadful result...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

In the US, most gun crime is multicultural-inner-city colored-on-colored stuff. With stolen or unregistered weapons.

And sometimes someone goes on a crazy rampage.

2. AceRimmer1980
          IT Angle

Yes, that would put him in the Danger Zone.

3. HereIAmJH

Bull. Neither is going to come 'take our guns'. The worst we would see is losing the ability to purchase new assault rifles and background checks on all non-private gun purchases. A bigger problem for gun owners is sites like Craigslist won't take gun ads making private sales a little more difficult.

As far as this article is concerned, where he screwed up is he waited too long. He should have shot him while he was in the house stealing the money and keys. At least then you can claim defense of a person over defense of property.

* BTW, assault rifle is defined as scary looking rifle with a large magazine, not based on it's actual ability to cause harm.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
          Pirate

"The worst we would see is losing the ability to purchase new assault rifles"

That's something I've been pondering recently - I know Hillary has a boner for banning sales of the AR platform, but considering how "modular" the AR is, what exactly are they planning to ban? Are they only wanting to ban completely assembled rifles, or completely assembled rifles and lowers (the serialized part), or ban complete rifles, lowers, and assembled uppers, or ban everything related to the AR platform? I bought two stripped lowers 2 months ago just so I'd have some outlet if The Worst does come to pass, and I've been stockpiling 30-round mags like they're going out of style.

"A bigger problem for gun owners is sites like Craigslist won't take gun ads making private sales a little more difficult."

With sites like Gunbroker.com, there's not much need to sell guns on Craigslist, eBay, etc. It's all guns, all the time. If the folks at Craigslist don't want to list guns, well, fine, it's their servers, we don't need them.

2. a_yank_lurker

I would rather have a Smelly or M1 Garand for hitting power than an AR15. But the AR15 is the scarier gun. The 30/06 and 303 are much more powerful rounds than the 223 used by an AR15/M16.

4. phuzz Silver badge
        Trollface

How can Hilary ban guns in the US? I thought Obama already did that just after he set up the all those death panels?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Lame meme about Hillary coming for your guns

Exactly as true as Obama coming for your guns. What is going to be different with Hillary in office than Obama? Nothing, that's what. But the gun makers have realized that rather than trying to expand the market by selling to first time gun owners, they can make more money with scare tactics to try to get those who already own one or more guns to buy MORE guns based on the fear that it might become impossible to buy them soon.

It is amazing to me that people keep falling for this time and again - and every time there's a school shooting sales of guns go up. Not because first timers are wanting to defend themselves, but because a few liberals bring up the usual talking points about banning assault rifles and large magazines, and scare tactics convince weak minded gun owners that a total ban on guns is imminent so they buy more guns (generally ones that no one is even talking about banning) and stocking up on enough ammo to last the rest of their life.

There might be a majority of Americans willing to ban assault weapons, but that's EXTREMELY unlikely politically since the NRA has republicans in their pocket and there are enough democrats from red states would would vote on their side against such a bill because they know they'd never get re-elected otherwise. Even if democrats held 65 seats in the Senate there would be enough democrats would join republicans in a filibuster.

8. Steve Evans

If the cops are going to charge him, he should just withdraw his statement...

And let anyone who wants to contradict him come forward... ;-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Recurve or Compound?

Other reports I've seen state that a compound bow was used; this is pretty important since a compound bow will shoot a much heavier arrow much faster than a recurve (modern compounds are rated at up to 100+ m/s with a carbon/aluminium arrow) that could easy punch a hole clean through a body. An arrow shot from a recurve bow is unlikely to go through a body unless you only hit soft tissue. I am assuming target arrows in each case; broadheads (if they are legal in Oz) would probably inflict terminal damage from either type of bow.

Actually a compound bow seemsmore likely for another reason. Recurve bows are typically stored unstrung and deconstructed (i.e. the limbs are detached from the riser) while compound bows are kept strung all the time (you cannot unstring them without a specalised jig designed to take the strain off of the string). I tested things this morning when I first heard about this - it took me 30 seconds to get my compound bow (yes I am an archer) out of its transport case and ready to shoot with an arrow nocked (no stablisers on it, and no release aid but it was shootable from the fingers). The same thing for my recurve bow took about 4 minutes.

Mine is the one with the release aid in the pocket.

1. NinjasFTW

Re: Recurve or Compound?

Depends on the recurve bow.

I used to have several single piece wooden ones (15+ years ago). Not as powerful but with a much more ye-olde feel. They were stored unstrung but could be restrung in about 30 seconds including removal from the case.

Had a couple of long bows too but they were ridiculously hard to string and it would be better just to whack someone over the head with it!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yup. just gone and tried - just under 30s including taking out of the case, and using a little belt like device that helps with the stringing. The comments about compound bows and arrow weights are all reasonable, but a recurve with a broad tipped arrow can be deadly at a reasonable distance. I spend half of my week in a small house in extensive woods. I regularly pick up both rabbits and pheasants at a decent range and I have seen far larger animals killed in the US (by rather more competent archers than I) with very similar bows. I think it was lucky for all concerned that it was only the looters arse that was hit, and that, I assume, there was no barb on the arrow. Would not like to have to either take out or break the shaft of a modern arrow while on the run.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Target or Broadhead

Keep in mind that in the vast majority of countries bow hunting (i.e. the use of broadhead arrows on wild life) is strictly regulated (i.e. you can only shoot certain game) or is completely illegal. Try shooting an arrow at anything alive in the UK and you will find yourself in front of an unamused judge asking very difficult questions.

Funny enough you can own broadhead arrows and even shoot them at targets. You can also shoot at 3-D targets on field ranges. You just cannot shoot at anything living.

1. Wade Burchette

Re: Target or Broadhead

Bow hunting is legal in the US. I can walk into a local sporting goods store and find all types of bows and hunting rifles. Even crossbows. Some hunters prefer the bow and arrow because it requires more skill. I have heard a few hunters tell me that it is very difficult to kill a wild turkey with a bow. The hunters told me that the wild turkey can hear the arrow and dodge it. Unless you are very close to the bird which is hard to do without the bird noticing.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Then I watch Legolas wielding his bow in LOTR and Hobbit and it dawns me: he actually whacks a lot of foes with the bloody thing, just as much, if not more, than shooting arrows.

It was choreographed that way, but I think with good reason.

Fine observation there.

2. Tom 7

Until a few years ago I could pull a 70lb longbow and I shoot 34" arrows. You dont want to be on the receiving end of that - it goes through a pig carcass and out the other side.

I could string it in about 30 seconds (if left on the stringer stand) and you'd still be a target even in the car!

3. herman

Stringing it is prolly what slowed the shooter down a bit, else he would have hit the guy from the front in the gonads.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon