back to article Fitbit kit not a hit

Fitbit is giving investors cause for concern after the wearables company posted a 43 per cent drop in profits, year on year. The fall comes despite seeing Q3 2016 revenues climb by 23 per cent to $504m and total unit sales were up by 11 per cent. The company noted the profit fall was based on a number of factors, including a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tech can only help ...so much.

Whatever the tech, you still have to have the motivation to step outside your door on a cold, frosty, Winter's morning after 10 pints on the piss and exercise, no device will do that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tech can only help ...so much.

* Yeah! Where was the rightful skepticism about wearable IoT?

* Even Apple is cutting back its expectations regarding watches etc.

* But no we're silicon valley bubble, we can do no wrong!

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Different issue.

All the "count every step" fitness fanatics already got one. They are not that many either.

From now on it is replacement sales only (aka "mature market").

1. tiggity Silver badge

Indeed, and there's plenty of "just good enough" options for the people who just want a rough idea of walking activity. These days many phones have pedometer apps preinstalled, if not they are free and easy to add. If someone wants to just log day to day walking steps to see if they hit their 10K (or whatever the current magic number is) target then it does the job.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Agreed.

I have an MS band (better featured for the price) and can't see any other reason than it stops working, to replace.

It does Steps, GPS and notifications for all the usual stuff.

Only if I took up swimming would I "need" a waterproof one.

2. thomn8r

Fitbit kit is shit

My wife has gone through two of them - on the first one, the non-replaceable band disintegrated, the second one just displays the FitBit equivalent of the BSOD. Since it's past the 45-day "warranty" ( https://www.fitbit.com/legal/returns-and-warranty ) she's not amenable to the idea of buying yet another one. I bought one for myself at the same time I bought hers, but the thrill of watching its random number generator of steps and stairs soon wore off. I had also bought a fitbit Aria scale, which is supposed to automatically update your fitbit account with your weight and body fat data, but it only supports 802.11b - which means it's incompatible with any consumer-grade router built after 2003.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon