nav search
Data Center Software Security Transformation DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes BOFH

back to article
Mobile beats desktop traffic

Silver badge

I wonder..

How much of that data is simply ad traffic which is free and easy to block on PC, but often requires paid-for apps on mobile devices?

Joke

Mobile beats desktop traffic

New research has shown that over 50% of the mobile traffic is caused by facebook mobile background notification process.

Oh a new friend request!

Anonymous Coward

Netflix is 50% of all business internet bandwidth consumption in the US during the working day

but Netflix on a mobile phone consumes much less bandwidth...

This illustrates why those stats might be a little misleading as they may mean that the desktop usage is 10-fold exaggerated compared to the mobile usage.

Silver badge

An important milestone

The transition to mobile is here. Surprised it took so long.

The pee sea can't dry fast enough to suit me.

Silver badge
Meh

From an open web to little apps each with their own walled data garden

Apparently that's progress.

Bronze badge

It's the Negroponte Switch in action.

Silver badge
Coat

Desktop / tablet ?

So what counts as a desktop versus a tablet?

Are they analysing user agents for web requests, or something to do with screen resolutions?

Does a 12" tablet count as a tablet but a 12" eeepc (remember them?) as a desktop?

Lies, damn lies, statistics and report headlines!

(mine's the one with the latest election polling figures in the pocket... no, for our parish council referendum - Don't be silly, we don't have a president!)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing