back to article Lad cuffed after iOS call exploit knocks out Arizona 911 center

An Arizona teen is facing three felony tampering charges after the cops said code he wrote to exploit an iOS security hole downed a 911 call center. According to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, 18-year-old Meetkumar ("Meet") Hiteshbhai Desai found a vulnerability in Apple's mobile operating system and crafted a proof-of- …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Desai describes himself as an iOS developer and a jailbreak theme tweaker."

I think the word he was looking for was "muppet". But let's see how he gets on with breaking out of a real jail.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Meet the Muppet.?

I was just leaving...

2. You aint sin me, roit

Thought he was clever... in fact he was stupid

"Accidentally" pushed the wrong version?

Wanted to show off how clever he was, failed to understand it could end up in jail time... because it's a fucking stupid thing to do.

3. cortland

Internet of Jails hack

Soon: None of your doors are unlock to you?

2. Terry Barnes

The problem here is that emergency call centres use 'backward holding', meaning that only the emergency operator can terminate a call. Most places around the world have a policy that requires positive confirmation that a misdial has occurred before they'll do that.

I had an ambulance arrive at my house once after a neighbour's kid, playing with my kids, called 999 for a laugh and told them someone was hurt. Even though the operators then spoke to my wife, she didn't do a good enough job of convincing them that every thing was fine.

3. Cardinal

Judge not, lest ye be judg.....

Maricopa County struck a bell.

Thought that was the place where the Sheriff kept the jail inmates in tents out in the jailyard.

Just did a Google and found that the Sheriff himself is now being charged with contempt of a Federal court order, so might soon be enjoying a little camping out himself. (Or would that be at a Federal campsite?)

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2016/10/25/maricopa-county-sheriff-joe-arpaio-officially-charged-criminal-contempt/92472998/

1. Fatman
      Thumb Down

Re: AZ sheriff

<quote>Just did a Google and found that the Sheriff himself is now being charged with contempt of a Federal court order, so might soon be enjoying a little camping out himself. (Or would that be at a Federal campsite?)</quote>

I would hope not!!!

I have a much better place for Sheriff Arpaio in the event he gets convicted - A Federal SuperMax prison. Drag that arrogant son of a bitch into the cell, and weld the fucking door shut. He can rot there until he finishes his entire sentence.

1. Cardinal

@Fatman

So, ....not keen eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The leftists go off the deep end over Arpaio because he ignores all their PC demands that he coddle illegals. And he keeps getting elected! And a lot of those votes come from the Hispanic community too. That's the thing that really enrages them, that Americans of Mexican ancestry can't see how awful and racist he really is!

His continued existence in office with the support of so many hispanics belies all their hate-filled rhetoric about how completely racist white people are for not accepting unrestricted immigration. They've been trying make an example out of him for many years, and have failed miserably.

This Obama-driven court order is entirely partisan in nature and everyone involved knows it, but the corporate press presents it to the rest of the country as just one more racist, out-of-control lawman that needs removing.

Most of the people in Arizona know how bogus that claim is, and are totally supportive of him.

1. Daniel B.
            Facepalm

His continued existence in office with the support of so many hispanics belies all their hate-filled rhetoric about how completely racist white people are for not accepting unrestricted immigration. They've been trying make an example out of him for many years, and have failed miserably.

Arpaio is going to lose this time around. He's also proven his detractors right by arresting actual U.S. citizens because they "look Mexican". Or sending people to jail for not using a turn signal. Do you want to know more?

He's going down, finally.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Happy

Aaaand you prove my point. I looked at your article and gleaned the only salient issues: His persecutors are attempting to pin a misdemeanor on him (Hey, at least it's something!), and there is a fresh poll out (by the Arizona 'Red'public no less) that claims he's in dire trouble. The very paper that has led the persecution of Arpaio from the beginning, lo, these many seasons past.

The order he's flouting is purely political and would not stand up under serious scrutiny. And If someone is falsely arrested, well, I guess that NEVER happens in liberalland, right?

Polls have him down... *snerk* ..can't hold it... HAW HAW HAW HAW!!!!

Oh lordy. Seriously tho, Arpaio has always been on the edge of failure according to that paper, it's a given. AZ citizens just tune it out.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

My brother lived in the Phoenix area for many, many years, and his report on Sheriff Joe isn't good. Let's just say he's glad to be living elsewhere now.

Consider having a cowboy boss like Joe, just think what his subordinates might go to get on his good side? I for one would not want to be in that situation.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> "My brother lived in the Phoenix area for many, many years, and his report opinion on Sheriff Joe isn't good."

FIFY

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Dumb mistake

Sure, this was a dumb mistake, but realistically all it did was trigger - and disclose - a security issue that, had it been exploited by more serious idiots, could cause a lot more trouble. Based on the reports so far this does not appear to be malicious - it's just a dumb kid thing and we ought to treat it as such, there's every possibility that he will learn from it and be a productive member of society in the future.

But this is Amerika and he's not white, I guess 20 years in jail is much more likely.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dumb mistake

It seems it could be turned into a DDoS attack of sorts on emergency services.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dumb mistake / If he was white ...

... maybe Apple would cover his legal costs from the bug bounty payout and offer him a job ... <sigh>

1. Stuart Elliott

What has his skin colour got to do with it, you racist f**k?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

the comment I replied to had the line - "But this is Amerika and he's not white, I guess 20 years in jail is much more likely."

Maybe you've missed a bit of news recently, but a whole lot of not white folks have had a whole lot of trouble for doing ... well, nothing very illegal, most of them ...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young-black-men

http://www.snopes.com/do-police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks/

#blacklivesmatter ... do try and keep up.

3. tom dial Silver badge

There were numerous ways Desai could have disclosed the vulnerability that would not have executed a DDOS on a critical government service. He knew it was wrong, and according to his statement he knew that it was illegal, and and yet he created it and, again according to his statement, released it accidentally to the world. Also by his statement (reported in Forbes) he “developed these malicious bugs and viruses to be recognized in the hacker and programming community as someone who was very skilled.” He should not get a pass on this.

A five hundred hours or so of community service seems in the ballpark for a reasonable sentence, and one he might reasonably be grateful for. He should be grateful, too, for being charged under Arizona law. Technically, he probably violated the CFAA, which in the hands of an ambitious US Attorney, which Arizona seems to have, could have brought charges of hundreds of counts, each carrying a potential sentence of up to 10 years.

4. rtb61

Basically a criminal negligence charge, problem is they can be just as bad as crime with intent depending upon the outcome and the expected knowledge and understanding of the individual involved. So sort of hoist by his own petard by his own claims he should have known better and as such that criminal negligence charge is going to be quite severe.

5. Martin Summers Silver badge

So they got what they needed, him and the website. It just amazes me they'll find any old excuse to ransack someone's house to boot. It's not like they had any reason to think they'd find anything else surely?

1. Adrian 4

No, the ransacking is an important part of the arrest. If the prosecution fails, or he gets treated lightly because he's a teenager, he's still had a bad fright that might stop him doing it again. Or will make him more careful to hide his tracks. Whatever.

2. tom dial Silver badge

A search warrant, solidly based on probable cause, probably describing computer equipment containing the computer code, and possibly documentation of that code. In a case like this, at least, there is no reasonable basis to question a search warrant as such. If there is evidence that the warrant was unreasonable in its extent, the defense attorney can raise the issue in court and conceivably get the warrant quashed, along with any evidence it yielded.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. This post has been deleted by its author

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Re: "A search warrant was also carried out at his home."

Well if it makes you feel any better:

"A search warrant was 'executed' at his home".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like