back to article LASER RAT FENCE wins €1.7m European Commission funds

The European Commission (EC) has found €1,777,985 for research on rat-repelling laser fences. The thinking behind the “LIFE Laser Fence” is that birds and rodents chew on plenty of crops, which costs farmers money and reduce productivity. Plenty of farmers fight back using poisons which do the job, but can also prove fatal for …

Page:

1. Elmer Phud

Those of us old enough to remember . . .

. . . will recall the astounding results achieved by the Chinese when they decided to 'deal' with the problem of birds eating crops.

1. Ralph B

Re: Those of us old enough to remember . . .

And it's worth remembering.

1. John Bailey

And those of us smart enough to spot the subtle difference in approach between deterrent and elimination will understand why learning a lesson from an entirely different situation is not actually helpful.

The lasers scare the pests away. They do not kill them.

1. Ragarath

I think what is trying to be intimated is that although yes they are pests to the crop, they may also have a beneficial side like that is being overlooked.

1. Lars Silver badge

"By April 1960, Chinese leaders realized that sparrows ate a large amount of insects, as well as grains.[3][2] Rather than being increased, rice yields after the campaign were substantially decreased.".

Rats on the other hand...

1. Timmy B

Going to have to be a very clever laser that distinguishes rats and pests from protected species that it is illegal to interfere with. In fact that reason will likely make this illegal to use in the UK. Shine this at a natterjack toad or a barn owl and cause them to do something that injures them and you'll be heading for a fine or even prison sentence..

1. streaky

"Going to have to be a very clever laser"

This technology has been around for years.

2. TheVogon

"the Poles had to use shovels to clear the embassy of dead sparrows."

Ouch.

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Either they're testing this near my office, or they should be. A pigeon flew down the chimney next to my desk this morning, and perched on the back of one of our swivel chairs.

The windows don't open very wide, so I was expecting a bit of a struggle to get the bugger out - and a laser would have come in useful for that too. Managed it with the minimum of flapping and shitting - either from pigeon or me.

Seems like a better solution than random slaughter of wildlife though.

2. Rich 11

Pulsed agrilaser in the 40W range

But can it be modified to keep the shitty little shitting cats out of my back yard?

1. Known Hero

Re: Pulsed agrilaser in the 40W range

I wouldn't recommend putting a well known cat toy in your garden, you are more likely going to increase the population.

1. Chris King

"I wouldn't recommend putting a well known cat toy in your garden, you are more likely going to increase the population".

On the other hand, chasing the red dot isn't so much fun when it's burned on to your retinas.

2. TheVogon

"But can it be modified to keep the shitty little shitting cats out of my back yard?"

The best method is get a cat. They don't tend to crap in their own garden, and they are territorial, so generally keep other cats away...

1. Roland6 Silver badge

The best method is get a cat.

Adopt a neighbour's cat and encourage it to treat your garden as its home territory - a strategically placed planter of catnip and the giving of treats works wonders and the really good thing with this approach is that you don't have to worry about actually looking after a cat...

Otherwise get a Jack Russell, no cats, mice, rats...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'd advise against giving it too much food, you don't want it getting overly attached, just interested and to know that's a friendly place, then it'll poop elsewhere making your garden part of the heart of it's territory rather than at the edge.

The key is being nice to it when you see it (or just ignoring it entirely) and putting out small treats every few days, but not daily.

My granny use to do this all the time, kept the cats out of her flower beds and in her neighbours lol

1. King Jack
            Thumb Down

I used to have a cat. Sadly the neighbours kept feeding it. It grew fat, got diseased and died. It stopped coming home as it had no need to. If people want to feed a cat they should get their own, not destroy somebody else's pet.

1. Known Hero

@king Jack, sorry to hear that :(

We currently have the other issue that our neighbours "Ninja cat" sneaking in and nicking our cat's food :D

1. phuzz Silver badge

"We currently have the other issue that our neighbours "Ninja cat" sneaking in and nicking our cat's food"

You can get cat flaps with RFID readers that read the chip in your cat, and only lets the right one(s) in.

1. Farnet

"We currently have the other issue that our neighbours "Ninja cat" sneaking in and nicking our cat's food"

"You can get cat flaps with RFID readers that read the chip in your cat, and only lets the right one(s) in."

My Sister has one and worked well for a while, then the neighbours cat worked out he could get in by tailgating (literally) my sisters cat.... they are damn crafty.

2. Rich 11

The best method is get a cat

Unfortunately I'm allergic to cats.

Otherwise get a Jack Russell

I do like dogs, but I don't think it would be right to leave the poor thing in a small space on its own for 10-11 hours a day.

1. TheVogon

"Unfortunately I'm allergic to cats."

See http://www.hypoallergeniccats.co.uk/

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

"I do like dogs, but I don't think it would be right to leave the poor thing in a small space on its own for 10-11 hours a day."

For some people that's work!

3. rdhood

"The best method is get a cat. They don't tend to crap in their own garden, and they are territorial, so generally keep other cats away..."

Not. PBS (here on the left side of the pond) aired a show of a cat population in a small Brit town. "50 felines from the Surrey village of Shamley Green were fitted with GPS collars and 'cat cams'". In viewing the episode, it was discovered that while cats do avoid each other, they end up "sharing" an area by taking shifts. In fact, they discovered that (for the people who had cat doors), other cats come into their homes while the owners are not there and eat the food and share the house!

Thus, getting a cat will not eliminate or keep other cats away, it will simply cause your property to be time shared.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2340714/The-Secret-Life-Cat-What-mischievous-moggies-gets-owners-backs.html#ixzz4OCO7plWc

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Thus, getting a cat will not eliminate or keep other cats away, it will simply cause your property to be time shared.

What about if you get a lion?

I admit you may be introducing an even worse poo problem. Although I believe you can sell it to other people to put in their gardens to keep cats away. There's also the problem of food, they're not cheap to feed, and if you're really unlucky, you may be on the menu yourself.

2. TheVogon

"Thus, getting a cat will not eliminate or keep other cats away, it will simply cause your property to be time shared."

If the cats consider it native territory, they don't generally crap there, so it still solves the original problem...

3. agurney

I use one of these brilliant scarecrows to keep the cats & dogs away from my garden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHYV6nJksw - non-lethal, and a great spectator sport.

4. Fred M

I've got a 40W CO2 laser (in a laser cutter) and I must admit I have been tempted. The most I have done so far is place some mousetraps in the places where they like to dig and then crap.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I hope the thing only points downwards...

In case it mistakes an airplane for a large bird...

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: I hope the thing only points downwards...

I was thinking the same myself, though more in terms of teaching the AI the difference between "small" and "far away".

4. Pen-y-gors

One small step...

Of course, if they can upgrade the plans to detect humanus humanus and zap them with a 10 gigawatt laser, they'll be able to get BEEEEELIONS of dollars out of the US Defence bucket, and won't need piddling Euro small change.

1. foo_bar_baz
      Megaphone

Re: One small step...

What is "humanus humanus"? Do you mean Pediculus humanus, or perhaps Homo sapiens sapiens?

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

This is what farmers will buy it for.

It'll play a recording of "Gettt orrff my laaaand" - then shoot you with the shotgun they've just replaced the laser with.

1. Chris King
        Coat

It'll play a recording of "Gettt orrff my laaaand" - then shoot you with the shotgun they've just replaced the laser with.

...followed by "'im were worryin' the sheep !"

Mine's the one with the copy of Viz in the left pocket...

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Interesting article spoiled by SJW journo

I save my SJW activities, such as they are, for my private time. the Brexit bit was meant to be a bit of a wry gag.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> the Brexit bit was meant to be a bit of a wry gag.

Unfortunately it is not accurate, as the EC does fund projects outside the EU also, as anyone who has walked the streets of Kinshasa or Montevideo would know.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Unfortunately it is not accurate, as the EC does fund projects outside the EU also, as anyone who has walked the streets of Kinshasa or Montevideo would know.

And btw, *that* ↑↑↑ is a wry gag.

2. Just Enough

"Unnecessary remoan comment at the end. I come to the site to avoid politicking like this"

He said, using the politicking terms "SJW" and "remoan".

Are we using SJW as a term for all opinions we don't care for now?

3. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Wait, Brexit is a "SJW issue" now?

That abbreviation, which it was arguable had much meaning to start with, surely has no meaning whatsoever by now.

6. Olivier2553

It won't work on gecko

When pointing an, admittedly red, laser at a gecko, he will see it as a possible target, and instead of fleeing, will start chasing it.

It's a nice way to keep your tropical evenings busy, with a laser pointer and some lizards on the wall.

1. Coen Dijkgraaf
      FAIL

Re: It won't work on gecko

And even birds get used to it after a while.

I visited a cow barn in the Netherlands where they had this system to deter birds. This system moved the beams around the barn. All that happened is that the birds flew from one part of the barn where the laser was pointing to the other part, and kept feeding, whereas initially it would scare them away.

7. P. Lee
    Pirate

>Birds apparently “perceive the approaching laser beam as a physical danger” and therefore go away instead of stopping to munch on crops.

So they starve to death? Is that the outcome we really want?

We aren't actually short of food, so this is just about profits. Perhaps we should rethink our ecological policy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well done...

Please go re-read the article, slowly and with someone to help with the big words.

It's about stopping or cutting back on the use of poison which causes collateral damage through unintended victims and ultimately finds its way back into the human foodchain through a lengthy but documented process.

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

There's a mahoosive difference between (a) killing something whilst also killing a whole load of other things, and (b) detering something whilst keeping it alive. This article is about the latter as an alternative to the former.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

So they starve to death? Is that the outcome we really want?

Or they will go and eat some other food that is not protected by lasers.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Or they will go and eat some other food that is not protected by lasers."

Oh yes, they will.

4. Stevie

re: So they starve to death? Is that the outcome we really want?

Yes.

Death to freeloading beakniks.

8. Unep Eurobats
    FAIL

Could still happen after Brexit

OK, it won't happen in the same way, and maybe not so easily. But academic cooperation takes place all round the world; people who want solutions to a problem can deal with any university that's best placed to supply them. It makes no sense to suggest that the criteria for this sort of collaboration are exclusively political or ideological.

Enough of the hand-wringing already.

1. Rich 11

Re: Could still happen after Brexit

and maybe not so easily

It's the entire string of maybe-not-so-easily's applied across so many areas like the economy, trade, research, policing, security and travel which is exactly what is worrying so many people. It looks like the government has decided that immigration is the prime concern and everything else should be sacrificed -- if necessary -- upon that altar.

If curbing immigration would solve enough problems to compensate, maybe then it would be worth it, but I don't see that getting to the root causes of our problems with housing, healthcare, education and the deficit. All that's going to happen is that there will be less money available and these problems will simply get worse. But you don't want to hear any of that hand-wringing, do you?

1. maffski

Re: Could still happen after Brexit

Good news!

Invention is a public good - it matters not one jot whether the mad scientists laughing as they burn through rat retinas are British, French or Korean.

Farmer Giles still gets the benefit simply by buying the resulting products.

So, out of the great pantheon of things that may (or mayn't) be affected by something they we will (or won't) do, leading (or not) to some decisions that no-one can predict, let alone map the consequences off, this is not one of them.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like