nav search
Data Center Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
Facebook, Amazon, Twitter and BT bid for Indian cricket online

Silver badge

"Amazon, Facebook, Twitter and BT"

The four horsemen of the infocalypse!

I'm just not quite sure which of them represents what right now.

Silver badge
Devil

Twitter's attempts to turn itself into a media concern by bidding for sports rights reminds me of ITV's ill-fated attempt to do the same with football. Let's hope it drives them to bankruptcy as well!

Silver badge

ITV

Ironically the last time I watched IPL was on ITV4, since it moved off free to air channels I have never seen it since (a shame, I really enjoyed seeing free to air cricket (albeit a frenetic format) again as, bar the odd few minutes of test "highlights" (with too much chat & too little cricket) essentially all cricket on Sky in UK now).

That was a case of either go Sky or go without, so I went without.

Doubtless be similar whichever of Amazon, BT etc. get the rights: e.g. Not going to buy Amazon Prime just to watch a sport I like (in UK more than enough cash is spent on mandatory TV licence & household budget cannot justify any more cash on streaming / TV services)

Silver badge

BT might be the best bet in this case, seeing as they already employ people who know which way round a cricket bat is held.

Silver badge

Re: ITV

http://guerrillacricket.com is what you want.

Disaster ahead.

They'll bid more than it's worth and get bitten by shareholders.

But I'm really surprised that the MNDA allowed the naming of the interested parties.

Silver badge

Re: Disaster ahead.

"They'll bid more than it's worth and get bitten by shareholders".

Sounds like a typical web two-point-doh financial plan. Sold to Twitter !

What's "Cricket?"

Sincerely, everybody, Scotland.

Silver badge

Re: What's "Cricket?"

When I was at uni in Scotland back in the day, uni team played a friendly against the reigning UK Village cricket team champions - who happened to be Scottish (Freuchie cricket team). So some Scottish areas are keen on cricket!

Silver badge
Coat

Re: What's "Cricket?"

I always thought that someone called Angus Fraser must be Scottish. But no. Anyway, he makes this list, just because his name fits...

http://www.thefulltoss.com/england-cricket-blog/cricketing-jocks-scotlands-best-cricketers/

(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: What's "Cricket?"

I attended the Australia vs Scotland match at Worcester in the 1999 World Cup. Australia won without getting into third gear, but Scotland comprehensively out-sang the Australians in the crowd. Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/65196.html

Anonymous Coward

Isn't Scotland a minor county?

And ditto in cricket?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing