back to article Student software finds new Minor Planet found way out beyond Pluto

Deep space real estate speculators, meet your next target: the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center has posted news of 2014 UZ224, a newly-verified minor planet. We don't know a lot about 2014 UZ224, which looks to have a diameter of about 530km. Humanity spotted the object about 91.6AU from Sol – or 13.7bn …

1. Chairo
    Trollface

2014 UZ224 appears to be smaller than the International Astronomical Union's definition of a “Dwarf Planet”, which kicks in at a diameter of 800km.

Smaller than a dwarf? Would that then be a hobbit?

It would be interesting to see, if the orbit fits in with the hypothetical 9th (10th?) planet.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

The hypothetical 9th planet is predicted to be much larger than what was discovered now, though there are some theories that suggest the observed orbital deviations used for the prediction are caused by a bunch of minor planets beyond Pluto (given our current understanding of planetary formation this is also a much more likely scenario)

2. the spectacularly refined chap

The rock may therefore struggle to shed the minor planet classification, which means it will have to make do with an unlovely number instead of a jaunty name.

Minor planets are still eligible for naming after the orbit is well-plotted enough for the body to be formally numbered. However the onus is on the discoverer to suggest a name for approval, and given the numbers now being discovered this isn't done for most such objects.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Why not? Do they have to pay a fee or something? I mean, naming things doesn't take very long, IMO. And what person who's discovered a sizable object up in the sky would NOT want to name it? Is it because they're actually large groups of astronomers and can't agree on names without fighting, so they just give up? If so, why not inform the wider community that they need input? I for one would be happy to provide all the names they can use!

2. Vinyl-Junkie
      Coat

Obvious name...

Rocky McRockface

There, that's got that out the way!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Obvious name...

Rocky McRockFace

Names are good.

Ever wonder how in Stargate the characters could always remember the planet designations?

e.g. "Yeah, remember that time we were attacked on P4A-771?"

At least Hammond couldn't pronounce names correctly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Numbers in the title and article look a bit off...

"... takes 11,000 years to go around the Sun"

But you said the aphelion was at 183.2AU, and the perihelion at 38AU, giving a semi-major axis of 110.6AU, which means an orbital period of ~1,163 years.

"That's about 9AU beyond Pluto"

Well it isn't particularly clear in the article but the only figure I can find that comes close to that is the 8AU difference in their perihelions. The difference in semi-major axes is a whopping 70AU.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: Numbers in the title and article look a bit off...

El Reg seems to have abandoned its former concern with scientific accuracy. If it is not careful its scientific readers will abandon El Reg.

2. Gideon 1

The NPR article they referenced said 1,100 years.

1. Jeffrey Nonken

Eh, what's a few decimal places between friends?

4. cortland

"finds new Minor Planet found way out"

Well founded, that.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

Lots of real estate a very long way from Earth

Could someone get Donal Trump interested, perhaps in an on site visit?

6. david willis

Rupert?

Didn't Douglas Adams prophesise a planet outside the orbit of Pluto called "Rupert" ?

1. Mad Chaz

Re: Rupert?

Yes, with the Grebulons stuck on them.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It's a long way away. Good. Its the nearby ones we have to worry about.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It's a long way away. Good. Its the nearby ones we have to worry about."

Not entirely. Going around out there where the Sun's gravity is weak and there are lots of other rocks, isn't there more chance of it getting deflected and heading inwards - perhaps towards us?

Nothing to worry about in my lifetime or my grandchildren's perhaps, but still a potential risk and not as well mapped as the nearer ones.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Apprentice of Tokenism
    Coat

Trump visit?

"Could someone get Donald Trump interested, perhaps in an on site visit?" (typo corrected)

And while we are making plans for him, perhaps we can get him interested in moving his Balmedie golf resort to that iconic island on the edge of our solar system? Just think of the stunning views when you are teeing off on the ninth. An entrepreneur of his size would not want to miss out on a chance like this.

Wait, I'll get my coat, too.

1. Chris G

Re: Trump visit?

Maybe call the golfing colony after the great man himself? Trumpton!

1. Fink-Nottle

You'd really have to call it Sphinx (or some other mythical pussy) in order to catch Trump's attention.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
      Joke

Just think of the stunning views when you are teeing off on the ninth.

At 530km diameter your drives would be impressive as well. Mind you it would a whole new issue around teeing off.

"You lost it, how - sliced? hooked?"

"Nah - it exceeded escape velocity".

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not to mention the amazing drives you could hit with lower gravity.

"My new golf course has the most amazing driving range.. just spectacular. Nobody, I mean nobody, has a range where you can hit the ball farther. It is the best, the best, course in the entire universe, bar none"

4. Down not across

Would the entertainment be provided by Hotblack Desiato? (no. not the estate agents)

10. Florida1920
    Happy

11,000 years to go around the Sun

Finally, a "year" long enough to finish a project on time!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 11,000 years to go around the Sun

Or long enough for two of them to allow for the completion of Brexit negotiations....

11. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
  12. Bigpatc
    Alien

Thats not a minor planet...

It's a space station. My money is on Babyon 4.

13. Crazy Operations Guy

Its Diameter is 1/6th that of our moon...

At 530 km in diameter, that means that its surface area is only 3.5 Million km2, or 0.16987 KiloWales of area (Just over 1 India).

At that size, I'm more apt to call it an Asteroid Of Unusual Size rather than anything resembling 'planet'.

14. Dagg Silver badge
    Coat

It is a reef of space

Mines the one with the spaceling in the pocket.

15. stu 4

An ideal first outpost for the federation

I think we should use this as the first outpost when the federation is formed*

*2161 as we all know

16. arctic_haze

That's no moon… It's a space station!

And we need to hire a nice looking British actress to steal its plans.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon