back to article Google sets the date for first sniff at Android 7.1

Developers can get their hands on Android 7.1 by the end of the month, Google has said. And almost all Nexus owners will have it implanted in their gadgets by the end of the year, albeit with some reservations. The next chewy chunk of Nougat includes support for better storage management and telephony software, App shortcut …

1. 404

np here

I'm happy as hell to give Blackberry $1.08/month for BB Hub+... love that shit ;)

1. 404

Re: np here

Stupid post, needs more detail.

When the LG G5's first came out at Verizon, the sales reps didn't know how to work it without an app drawer. In our case, wife went Nova launcher and I held out for BB hub+, we both use BB Hub+ now. LG reconsidered the issue and now the G5 comes with a stock app drawer.

Quite possibly a subtle kick in the reseller nads by Google to position Pixel as the Must Have Flagship Android... well, of course it is.

2. Poncey McPonceface

No Nougat ❤ for the Nexus 5 :(

https://www.google.ie/search?q=nexus+5+release+date

October 31st, 2013

Am I wrong to think that Google ought to support this device with operating software updates for longer than three years?

1. Ru'
      Mushroom

Re: No Nougat ❤ for the Nexus 5 :(

That's sad news. But I'll just upgrade to a Note 7 then. Oh...

2. Planty Bronze badge
      FAIL

They do give you software updates. There was a security update - M4B30X released 2 weeks ago. #fail Google are doing everything they promised.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They sold it until March 2015 so it's less than 2 years at this point.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty sure

Google have never said that assistant is pixel only, that's what hacks have assumed.

1. Ruli Manurung

Re: Pretty sure

Yup, and IMHO it doesn't really make sense for Google to keep the Assistant confined to the Pixel phones. Presumably increased adoption of the Assistant would be a good thing for them.

I can see them thinking that the camera optimizations (image processing algorithms, etc.) are a USP of the Pixels though. It's arguable whether they could easily be ported over to phones by other manufacturers, though. Sounds like the hardware-software integration runs pretty deep.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pretty sure

I have Google Assistant on my LG G3 (Android 5.0).

I just installed Google Allo and it came for free (alright it is not integrated outside of the app but I still have it).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like