back to article Cisco president: We've lost to AWS et al on the public cloud

Cisco may have conceded defeat to Amazon in the mass market for public cloud consumption, but there are a raft of niche areas that are ripe for the plucking, starting with, er, footwear. The vendor's European, Middle East, Africa and Russia president Edwin Paalvast told an audience of resellers and distributors at the Canalys …

1. MotionCompensation

Please don't break my car

"The car can even be initiated to break"

Please don't!

2. CAPS LOCK

Didn't Penny and Sheldon have a startup in this field?

Why yes they did... https://youtu.be/zUDnAf1Av9k?t=1m46s

3. MotionCompensation

Roads breaking cars

"The road will break it"

Nothing new there, roads break cars here all the time.

4. Detective Emil
    FAIL

Cisco just jumped the shop …

So now I have to enter retail establishments with a hop, skip or jump to avoid the floor-level cameras. Glad to know that they care about my fitness.

Hmm. The kids' stilts are still in the garage …

1. Harry the Bastard

Re: Cisco just jumped the shop …

they're mounted above head height, so they get a full view of the punters

some systems piggyback on security cameras, others are self-contained

if you go into a branch of any mass-market retail chain, assume you're being counted and categorised at least on entry, possibly throughout the store, and maybe even correlated with your smartphone's wifi burbling

5. Unep Eurobats
    Go

I don't really mind this

RFID tag in the left sole, by the time I get to the counter my espresso is waiting for me.

6. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Happy

You live in a sad, declining civilisation..

... you are looking down.

What do you see?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There are times I'm glad I wear buggered up scruffy shoes, and this is one of them.

I don't want a sales rep, I just want to shop.

If you could turn the music down as well that'd be fab.

1. quxinot

"If you could turn the music down as well that'd be fab."

This strikes me as particularly important this time of year. It's very nearly Halloween, so it's time for the irritating season to begin.

And retailers wonder why online sales are eating their lunch.

8. M7S

The road will brake the car...

Really? because the data is never wrong?

I wonder how long until we read of some collision/death involving a vehicle where, like the recent Darwin candidate in the Tesla, the driver assumed that "the road" will take care of all their driving responsibilities regarding inclement weather and the consequent effects on grip.

I'd be more confident if we had roads (and I know little of the state of those elsewhere in Europe, but seem to recall that the further south you go, the looser the surfaces..) that weren't years behind in maintenance of the normal surfaces, let alone anything fancy and liable to error.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What happened to...

...just running a shop? You know, get stock in and sell it to people.

What is it with all this advertising and spying? Are they really selling more stuff, or is this the same "sales increase" you get if you get an assistant standing by the door to hold it open for you and say "Hi" when you turn up?

IMO people selling all this big data mining and advert segmentation optimization using AI learning algorithms are perpetrating the biggest scam since... well... I guess whatever the marketing people last tried to sell.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

I've always been a responsible, everyday shoe-wearing type...

Maybe its time to embrace my inner shoeless hippy. Especially when I go shoe-shopping. Groovy, man!!

(Icon shows button I will be wearing on the lapel of my beaded leather vest.)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Consume,

consume, consume. You must consume!

Why can't the world just stop selling me

12. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    FAIL

Big data says you're dumb

Lets put this FAIL sticker on any project claiming that Big Data will solve problems that are aren't related to data. Big Data won't fix lazy inventory presentation, it won't fix high prices, it won't fix the broken Flash animations on your web page, it won't sweep the floor, and it won't make barely paid employees helpful experts.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Up above me;

A cloudless sky

In my hand,

Clouded liquor

In my mind

A clouded mess

That's becoming clearer

With each sip I take...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like