nav search
Data Centre Software Security DevOps Business Personal Tech Science Emergent Tech Bootnotes
BOFH
Lectures

back to article
'Please label things so I can tell the difference between a mouse and a microphone'

9Rune5

Label you, label me, label us all together

Proceed to the user's car and I am confident you will find an appropriately labeled "steering wheel" and "throttle pedal" + "brake pedal". Bonus if the shifter does not spell out the words "Neutral", "Park" and "Drive".

I will post this comment as soon as I locate the key called "space".

Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Label you, label me, label us all together

Is your comment in relation to labels, or to Star Trek?

That young actor Anton Yelchin was killed by shit user interface design. Fiat Chrysler had already flagged those vehicles for recall because of the gear selector:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/20/autos/jeep-recall-anton-yelchin/

9Rune5

It was purely in relation to that user who required a label for the mouse... Does a person like that drive a car? The mind boggles.

That Fiat Chrysler UI glitch popped out of my head the minute I read about it and did not influence my original comment at all.

Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

quite a few people , when learning to drive, have to have their hands labelled "L" and "R"

Dwarf Silver badge

Somehow this old joke seems appropriate.

BMW customer services complaint about the car that only works during the day

Night mode does not work

TRT Silver badge

I'm not doing the old underwear labelled C&A joke.

magickmark
Unhappy

@TRT "I'm not doing the old underwear labelled C&A joke."

Damn, I was going to until is saw your post!!

TRT Silver badge

I wonder what BHS stands for? Well, not that it matters now.

TitterYeNot

"I wonder what BHS stands for?"

Looking at the size and cost of a certain previous BHS owner's boat, I think it stands for 'Bought His Super-yacht'...

Dave 126 Silver badge

@9Rune5

A genuine thank you for your clarification.

404 Silver badge

'quite a few people , when learning to drive, have to have their hands labelled "L" and "R"'

In OSUT (One Station Unit Training) in the early 80's, there was one poor sonuvabitch who couldn't march for shit, always started off on the wrong foot, who was made to carry a rock in his left hand for 13 weeks. If I wasn't preoccupied with perfecting my Zen (becoming One with the Woodwork is very desirable in Basic - Senior Drill Instructor got 137 counts of trainee abuse two cycles after we graduated), I would have felt sorry for him.

Breaks my heart today when I remember him trying his damnedest to mentally/physically get into rhythm before even moving. I wonder what became of him?

Down not across

I will post this comment as soon as I locate the key called "space".

Never mind space. But I recall instances of "there is no 'any' key on my keyboard"...

Some things really are best forgotten.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Joke about the American south - the cars had the pedals painted to make things understandable - legend has it the cars there had a "green" and a "red" pedal.

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Wasn't his first name Donald?

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I wonder what BHS stands for?"

Bloody Huge Studmuffin! Well, that's what I told my (ex) girlfriend anyway. No, as it happens, she wasn't my GF for very long, why would you ask that?

Adam 1 Silver badge

> quite a few people , when learning to drive, have to have their hands labelled "L" and "R"

I know some who need "R" and "the other R"...

Goobertee

During earlier times, recruits came from the countryside with few of the finer skills, but many of the "practical" skills of their lives. Many could tell the difference between hay and straw, so a wisp of each was tied to their left and right boots, respectively, and the cadence was,

"Hay foot, straw foot, hay foot, straw foot...."

Dan 55 Silver badge

When we get to the stage where we have to label everything...

... People will be so illiterate so they'll want pictures on the labels instead of words.

You know, a picture of a mouse stuck on a mouse.

Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: When we get to the stage where we have to label everything...

Or make the mouse (Human Input Device) look like a mouse (cheese thieving squeeking mammal):

http://lowendmac.com/wp-content/uploads/kidzmouse.jpg

TRT Silver badge

You mean like where Word has gone? Where a microscopic picture of a pair of binoculars means "Find", and God alone knows what two parallel grey lines over a pair of green right pointing arrows with some feint dotted motif behind it does, or how it differs from the same but with only one green arrow...

MJI Silver badge

Or when Teamviewer and Outlook have very similar taskbar icons

Robert Carnegie Silver badge

But be fair...

A lot of desktop devices don't look like what they are. I Google search for "conferencing microphone" pictures and I get a lot of things that could be a mouse, including a circular puck, and various things plugged into a laptop USB, which doesn't help.

Maybe fitting the microphone with big cut-out-of-paper Prince Charles ears would help. Unless that's who you work for. The mouse - how about labelling it with an "arrow pointer icon" label?

Kubla Cant

The very worst outbreak of icon disease is the pandemic that has taken over instruction leaflets, especially those for power tools and domestic electrical appliances. These days, before you can use a new purchase, you have to puzzle your way through complex assembly and use advice written entirely in pictograms.

The manufacturers seem to be unaware that one of the reasons we're now using power tools instead of flint axes is that we developed a sophisticated communication system that allowed us to convey information unambiguously. Their argument, presumably, is that the picture-message transcends language barriers. If so, it's entirely nullified by the fact that their safety warnings are always fully translated, no doubt on the advice of their lawyers.

heyrick Silver badge

It's not that they are trying to transcend language. It's that everybody on the entire planet can get the exact same pictogrammes. Forget about the dozens of EU languages that turn up on every product these days, think of Thai and Japanese and Russian and Breton and Navaho and all... no more weird half assed translations. It's all been replaced by a set of pictures doodled by an executive in the midst of a caffeine crisis...

tony2heads

Don't you mean 'Cheese-eating surrender mammal'?

Captain DaFt

"It's all been replaced by a set of pictures doodled by an executive in the midst of a caffeine crisis..."

Um... That white powder isn't caffeine!

chivo243 Silver badge

Funny you mention this... I recently saw an international translation helper/book with only pictures where you pointed to the image you desired, didn't see any pr0n images, but I only saw two pages with coffee.

Isn't mouse on mouse action forbidden in countries?

Also, there is an episode of Dexter's Lab where he and Dee Dee label the entire house....

Ivan Headache

Re: But be fair...

Many years ago when boundary layer microphones were relatively new, Beyer Dynamic produced a model that consisted of a chamfered square piece of oiled teak (or walnut) about six inches square by about one inch deep. It had a small round metal grill less than an inch in diameter in the centre and an XLR socket and a small swirch and little red LED on one of the sides. Very neat looking and apart from the cable, unobtrusive on the boardroom table.

One of my collegues had to record a breakfast discussion for transcription purposes in a house with a black door somewhere near Parliament Square.

He decided that instead of setting several individual mics he would try this new Beyer.

All the setting up went well, good sound from every chair around the table so he went to his recording location in the ante-room to await the participants.

The first few minutes went very well with all the voices clearly audible when there was a loud metallic 'THUNK' and all the voices became very muffled.

Panic! The whole purpose of being there was to get a recording that could be transcribed but he wasn't supposed to intrude. He thought that although the voices were muffled it was still possible to just make out the words so he decided to sit it out. Occasionally the sound would clear only to be followed by the same 'thunk' and muffle a few seconds later.

Eventualy the meeting ended and the group left.

My collegue went inside to find a large silver coffee-pot sitting on this nice chamfered 'coffee-pot warmer' that was obviously switched on as it had a 'mains' cable plugged into it and a little red light.

And no it wasn't me, and yes, the transcriber did manage to get most of it.

"Um... That white powder isn't caffeine!"

But now we know what happens when you snort creamer.

Ian Emery Silver badge

Re: But be fair...

Surely sticking a huge pair of Prince Charles ears on it will make it look MORE like a mouse??

Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"These days, before you can use a new purchase, you have to puzzle your way through complex assembly and use advice written entirely in pictograms."

It saves a fortune in translators. They're equally incomprehensible in all languages.

Shart Tank

I used to have one of those mouse mice. I was disappointed when I got a new computer that no longer had a PS2 port for the mouse.

Alister Silver badge

We don't provide external IT support to the public, thankfully, but as a software house we do provide on-site training for local government users of our product.

One of our sales staff came back into the office the other day having done a training session at some local government offices, and she was telling us that one of the people she had been trying to train used a wireless mouse at her desk.

Apparently three times in the course of an hour's training session this user managed to hold the mouse the wrong way up (as in, the buttons at the back) and then complained that her mouse never worked properly and "she'd told IT loads of times, but they didn't listen to her."

The sales rep said she had to struggle with herself not to just snatch the mouse off the user and turn it round... She said she was rehearsing that old support question (Do you still have the box for your computer... etc)

Arthur the cat Silver badge

this user managed to hold the mouse the wrong way up

Back in the mid 80s the company I worked for had just set up its first batch of Sun 2 workstations. The chairman came in to look at them, picked up the mouse to examine it as he'd never seen one before, then put it down the wrong way round. He then proceeded to move it about, and of course the cursor moved the wrong way. At this point he said "bloody thing's broken", picked it up, banged it on the desk a few times, and then put it down the right way round. He then moved the mouse about some more, saw the cursor was doing the right thing, said "that fixed it" and left with a sense of achievement.

DaLo

"Apparently three times in the course of an hour's training session this user managed to hold the mouse the wrong way up"

Did you ever use a Mac with the 'hockey puck' mouse?

Thumb Up

(Do you still have the box for your computer... etc)

HAHA! as soon as I read about your users upside down mouse that same early 90s tale of pc support woe popped into my head too!

BenDwire
Boffin

@Arthur

Those Sun workstations used mice with metal mousepads, requiring a 2-colour printed grid to function correctly. It was really easy to annoy my CAD guys (and any other random PHB) by simply rotating the pad 90 degrees.

It was almost as good fun as the cron job that turned the whole thing into a cuckoo clock.

Oh the fun we used to have...

TRT Silver badge

Re: @Arthur

Mouse doesn't work... at an Arts and Design college. Usual cause (until we got the new back to back desks) was that the extra long mouse cables dangled down the back of the desk, where the students would stretch out, catch their foot on the cord, and yank the thing out of the back of the computer.

Nick Kew Silver badge

He then moved the mouse about some more, saw the cursor was doing the right thing, said "that fixed it" and left with a sense of achievement.

If I'd had an audience when I gingerly played with my first mouse, I might easily have done the same. As it was, it just took a couple of simple moves to figure out which way to hold it.

This thread is clearly the place to post the essential helpdesk video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_p3TYXmJFk

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Though not as much in my last job, because that is what we all did, but you cannot understand how many times I've "fixed" something that does not need fixing. How? By using my eyes (rarely even my brain).

Hand eye coordination goes miles for actually doing something. Oh, that and thinking about what you are doing.

Like removing the "stuck" TV stand legs yesterday... you know, the ones with the push button on for quick release right there on the stand no one else could see.

Lars Silver badge
Happy

The version in English is here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUQRbqc2qtY

oh good , ill give that a go .

Even in norwegian it was funny because i speak fluent "user" and i recognise the bodylanguage anywhere

J.G.Harston Silver badge

I've watched in open-mouthed amazement as somebody has attempted to use a mouse the wrong way around in one hand, with their other hand contorted around to get their fingers onto the buttons. Amazing how the pain and lack of functionality doesn't manage to filter into their brains and suggest something's amiss. Presumably they also keep yanking at a door handle with it never occuring that maybe you need to push it.

...though, yes, I *have* watched in gobstopping amazement somebody do this, nearly ripping the door off the hinges in the process.

Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Usual cause (until we got the new back to back desks)"

And afterwards? Mice swapped round onto the opposing desks?

Nick Ryan Silver badge

I've watched somebody hold a mouse at 90 degrees to how it's meant to be used, contorting their fingers onto the buttons in a ludicrous manner as well. This came about because one user couldn't understand instructions referring to the left mouse or right mouse buttons... turns out that if you're a complete fuckwit and hold a mouse sideways it's not obvious which is the left or right button.

Mark 85 Silver badge

Presumably they also keep yanking at a door handle with it never occuring that maybe you need to push it.

Many seem incapable of reading the sign over the handle that says: "PUSH"....

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Ah, even better, as the old ps2 mices would not be recognized by the computer if you just plugged them back into their slot. you had to power down the damn computer (assumes windoz) and power it back up to get the mouses recognized.

Nolveys Silver badge

And afterwards? Mice swapped round onto the opposing desks?

We used to do that with keyboards back in high school. There were two rows of back-to-back computers, just swap the keyboards of the two with their backs to each other and wait for someone to log in, type the user name and password as it comes up along with the next 20 characters or so. When the user starts whacking at the keyboard that's "stopped working" say "there's something wrong with that one, use a different one".

You have to be a decent typist for that to work. Luckily they still had typing class back then.

We got the admin password that way. The next day the intern we got it from said that he had a nightmare that we got the admin password. Poor guy.

"Presumably they also keep yanking at a door handle with it never occuring that maybe you need to push it."

Ah, but doors have minds of their own and can see you coming. Double door with handles and no push/pull labels? Yep, one is always locked so four possible chances to get it right. You just know that the first two attempts of push/pull will be the locked door and despite the obvious "pull" type handle, the unlocked door will be a push to open. Fourth attempt, guaranteed, every effing time!

Vic

Many seem incapable of reading the sign over the handle that says: "PUSH

A pub I frequent has a sign on the toilet door that states "PUSH HARD on way out".

On the inside is a doorhandle on the hinge side of the door...

Vic.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

The Register - Independent news and views for the tech community. Part of Situation Publishing