back to article IBM Watson Xprize is a chance to make AI more open, says prize team

A $5m AI competition aimed at showing “how humans can collaborate with powerful AI technologies to tackle the world's grand challenges” has been launched by IBM Watson under the XPRIZE banner. IBM Watson XPRIZE leader Amir Banifatemi hopes to repeat the successes of the previous XPRIZE, a separate competition, with AI. “There …

1. Charles 9

How about a prize for the first system to pass a complete Turing Test with the added condition of not being able to touch the machine during the test and being able to speak and comprehend multiple languages including various forms and accents of English, Asian, African, etc. Indistinguishable from a human? With a stretch goal of demonstrating some kind of intuition or spontaneous learning such as being able to learn about the speaker with no prior history?

1. Poncey McPonceface

@Charles 9

I'm trying to picture an entity that while lacking any kind of intuition and spontaneous learning is at the same time indistinguishable from a human.

Cognition is embodied. My entire being is going into producing this post. A machine would have to simulate not just human language, but the human mind/brain that houses the language organ and the body that goes along with that mind and the form of life that body is supposed to have enacted. The Turing Test therefore requires the machine to have superhuman mimicking abilities therefore the Singularity is an event that precedes any machine passing the Turing Test. What do you think?

Also: English, Asian, African ? :) One of these things is not like the other two.

1. Steve Knox
        Happy

Also: English, Asian, African ? :) One of these things is not like the other two.

Ah, good catch. Should be " Anglish, Asian, African ".

2. User McUser
    Childcatcher

Why no link?

For people slightly lazier than I am, the contest site is http://ai.xprize.org/.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like