back to article Device-as-a-Service to make life simple? Nope

There isn’t much mystery in PCs these days - and not much margin either - but that could all be about to change if HP Inc’s prophecy on the bewildering range of payment options for device services proves right. The firm rolled out out a “from birth to burial” device-as-a-service package for customers in the summer and it is …

1. Steven Roper

No bloody way

[Anything]-as-a-Service is simply code for rentism, a.k.a "We want to keep you paying over and over for the same thing you used to buy once." No thank you. I'll stick with the tried-and-trusted, old-as-civilisation "I give you one thing once (money) and you give me one thing once (product) business model, thanks.

2. Little Mouse

On the plus side...

...I haven't heard the phrase Bring-Your-Own-Device for ages now.

Is it officially dead?

3. lukewarmdog

Sounds suspiciously like the unwanted offspring of cloud computing and phone contracts.

I can't see HP supplying me with a machine that can run DOOM in the evening but which clocks down to run Office during the day. But maybe that is exactly what they're thinking.

That game you were playing? Bits of it ramped up to the full specs of your machine. Your bill is therefore £30 more this month than last month. Last month you only used 20% of your allowance but we're still going to charge you the full months worth. Why not upgrade your package to have more compute cycles and get a free cinema ticket?

4. The Godfather
    Mushroom

Arrrrgh

Isn't this just old fashioned rental? What is all this bullshit called device-as-a-service? Enough of these dumb euphemism's...

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Arrrrgh

It reads eerily like mainframe or "supercomputer" billing methods moved to desktop systems: "here's the hardware, you can use some or part of it and we'll charge you for configuration changes that a monkey could make using the configuration software. We're also going to make it very hard or expensive to downsize."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like