back to article Google un-clogs Landsat and Sentinel-2 imagery downloads

Geo-geeks rejoice (and, if you're in a country that has such things, pray for your download allowance): Google is now hosting Landsat and Sentinel-2 data on its public cloud. The NASA-US Geological Survey Landsat data stretches back to 1982, with images ranging from 15 to 60 metres per pixel; data collected from the European …

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Since it's now publicly available, I give it a few weeks until someone builds an external system to do the searching and provide a link to the correct location. Frustration about wasting time is the best driver to get someone to waste time building a tool like that :)

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Sentinel-2 images are free under EU law - wonder what's going to happen after Brexit for UK users?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

That will depend on whatever the UK Space Agency and ESA will agree on, I guess... Not much use in trying to reactivate Prospero...

2. Andy Mc

Probably nowt, ESA's not part of the EU. Separate membership and rules.

1. pklausner

Yes, ESA (and Eumetsat for the weather satellites) are separate organisations.

No, Sentinel x / Copernicus is funded (not operated) by the EU, so some untangling will be necessary.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Navigation is just as painful as this long-time Grass-GIS user remembers it"

Surprised that someone who can hack it through Grass' user interface finds anything else painful. :)

(it's great for scripting though, and I admit to using QGis for a front-end during manual work)

Thanks for the links!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like