back to article Linus Torvalds admits 'buggy crap' made it into Linux 4.8

Linus Torvalds gave the world Linux 4.8 earlier this week, but now appears to wish he didn't after spotting some code he says can “kill the kernel.” When Torvalds announced Linux 4.8 on Sunday he said the final version added “a few stragging fixes since rc8.” But by Tuesday he was back on the Linux Kernel Mailing list …

Page:

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

There is lots of BUG_ON() all over the place

All lock debugging, etc - is peppered by BUG_ON()s

Granted, a BUG_ON() may be better than deadlocking in that case, but still... it is a reality - if you turn on any of the debug directives in the kernel you immediately wade into a morass of BUG_ON()s

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: There is lots of BUG_ON() all over the place

I'm not a kernel developer, what exactly is this BUG_ON thingumy anyway?

1. /dev/null

In other Unices, it's called a kernel panic (or a conditional kernel panic to be precise in this case).

1. ma1010

So it's sort of a Linux BSOD? Fortunately, I've never seen it on my Linux box. I have seen a fair number of Windows BSODs, though.

People sometimes complain about Linus, but if Windows developers had anything like that much passion for producing a good product, Windows X would actually be the upgrade from Win 7 MS claims it is instead of a festering pile of dingo's kidneys.

1. patrickstar

You are comparing Windows the-entire-platform to Linux the-kernel. Like thinking Linus is in charge of Ubuntu, or whatever.

The original person in charge of the Windows kernel, Dave Cutler, is just as much of an anal asshole as Linus. And certainly more OCD when it comes to coding standards.

If you fuck up, Linus flames you on LKML. Cutler beats you up (or used to in his younger days, atleast). Or if you're lucky, just punches the wall.

1. Elf

Why the hell are you people down-voting Patrick, exactly? I couldn't be because he is 100% correct and you can't be arsed to look at a Microsoft asshole the same way you look at Linus?

I have drank with Both people in Question. Linus is BY FAR more stable than Cutler, and Cutler is BY FAR more anal than Linus (to be fair, "coding standards" does not mean Good Code).

So what's the bitch, here?

* Microsoft can't have someone that actually cares? (One, they're allowed one, they HAVE to have one, otherwise Marketing and Business units would prevent *any* code from shipping.

* You can't believe that anyone is a bigger asshole (for the right reasons) than our Fearless Penguiny Leader? (Would you like me to sort that list by last name, company name, or date?)

- Bonus Round, Two Words: Steve Jobs.

My *completely* subjective and biased opinion (not that you asked for it, and if wise, you wouldn't) is that if Linus flames you for doing something that:

* Has been covered already.

* Is documented (can be googled in LKML)

* Linus has specifically said "Do not do this".

* Linus specifically tells YOU "Did you not see me tell him/her not to do that? WTF did you then do the exact same thing?"

AND THEN calls you out specifically as a dumb-ass...you are a dumb-ass.

Honestly, how many times do you have to tell someone not to do something? When does it *finally* become "OK" to tell someone they are fucking up in a way that leaves no ambiguity (just like the previous dozen times)? Ten? Twelve? A Hundred?

In MY shop the answer is "One Time" then I haul you out by your shirt collar, into HR, and I say: "Cut their final check now because I never want to see this incompetant shit again." Following instructions of the Team Lead is a basic function of one's job as a developer. That fact that Some Open Source folk have used "I contribute" to also mean "and since I'm not getting paid, I can fuck off on my code and ignore the Lead" can and should be used to eliminate that person as Open Source as with Corporate, don't want to follow the rules then you can piss-the-hell-off.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Linus has been a hell of a lot more patient with some contributors than I (and most of my peers) ever would have been, by orders of magnitude.

@PatrickStar called it corectly.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
                Pint

@Elf

+1 and another round of drinks

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Not to put too fine a point on it, but Linus has been a hell of a lot more patient with some contributors than I (and most of my peers) ever would have been, by orders of magnitude."

Yup, and the fact that Redhat staff keep dissing him over his comments explains a lot about why RHEL has a bunch of nasty festering bugs that the delicate flowers there refuse to fix.

They'd rather shoot the people complaining about the bugs and regressions for getting pissy at them than actually fix the fucking problem (Here's a hint: If someone's paying you £10k per machine per year for support and they have a problem because you fucked up your code, then they expect you to fucking fix it, not get huffy and refuse to deal with the customer because you got called a bad name.)

2. John 104

@ma1010

if Windows developers had anything like that much passion for producing a good product, Windows X would actually be the upgrade from Win 7 MS claims it is instead of a festering pile of dingo's kidneys.

You take that back. That is a total disservice to dingo's.

2. Apprentice of Tokenism

In the old days (as in 1990s) BUG_ON() was meant to allow the kernel to boldly announce a situation that was not properly handled by any error handling code in the kernel. BUG_ON() essentially logs some status information and then halts the execution of all code in that machine rendering the machine unusable and leaving the user just the option to reboot the machine. Naturally a reboot could then trigger the same situation leading to BUG_ON() again. BUG_ON() could and should be avoided by better error handling code. If better error handling code is not possible there might be something wrong with the entire design of the code leading to the BUG_ON() call.

1. Jim Mitchell

@Apprentice of Tokenism

The issue here is that the BUG_ON was apparently used for debugging. Linus thinks the machine could have continued operation. This should have been a warning message, not a "pull the plug" scenario.

2. sabroni Silver badge

So before contributing

you need to go through 15 years of Linus' posts?

Maybe someone should get a checklist together instead? It'd be massive, but more easily readable than 15 years of posts, surely?

1. Chewi

Re: So before contributing

A newer contributor might have got off more lightly. Linus knows that Andrew Morton was around back in 2002.

1. sabroni Silver badge

He was around in 2002 and he forgot something Linus posted back then? What a twat.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

He was around in 2002 and he forgot something Linus posted back then? What a twat.

It appears your downvoters don't understand sarcasm, so best make it bleeding obvious next time with something like:

"THIS POST MAY CONTAIN SARCASM AND MAY HARM WHEN PRINTED ON ROUGH EDGED CARDBOARD AND USED FOR RECTAL EXAMINATION".

You could add bold and italics to it, but I'd draw the line at blinking text. Or, more subtle, you could use the tag below:

/sarcasm.

This has been a general service announcement. The regular schedule will now resume.

:)

1. NonSSL-Login
            Facepalm

The sarcasm in the post was so obvious, it shouldn't have to be pointed out.

Yet it did...

In English: How can this right honourable linux developer be expected to remember something Linus said many years ago about something fairly obscure? Then get shouted at publicly and profanities hurled in to the air, for just attempting to contribute to the open source Linux kernel.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Then get shouted at publicly and profanities hurled in to the air, for just attempting to contribute to the open source Linux kernel.

Well, OK, I don't think anyone can be expected to read all of Linus' missives, but I do suspect that anyone aspiring to contribute code is well aware of the communication style in that team, including the occasional flame. That IS easy to discover upfront so you best grow a thick skin and put a bit of effort in re. code quality. That said, it's not great for new entrants, over time you may end up with an ageing pool of developers mainly shouting insults at each other :)

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>for just attempting to contribute to the open source Linux kernel.

Do or do not, no try there is.

3. Olius

"In English: How can this right honourable linux developer be expected to remember something Linus said many years ago about something fairly obscure? Then get shouted at publicly and profanities hurled in to the air, for just attempting to contribute to the open source Linux kernel."

BUG_ON causes a kernel panic, then makes the kernel die.

You should not deliberately cause a kernel panic unless you have decided that the operation being performed has put the kernel in to a dangerous state - unless you are using it to debug, in which case the BUG_ONs need to be removed before pushing the code.

Therefore, this is not something "obscure", and the passage of time does not change what BUG_ON does, its intent or its well known use-cases.

It is also easily found in the KernelNewbies FAQ: https://kernelnewbies.org/FAQ/BUG

2. Naselus

"It'd be massive, but more easily readable than 15 years of posts, surely?"

You forget that if you're really serious about Linux, you're supposed to read through everything Linus has ever said at least twice a year.

3. HieronymusBloggs

The reporting style of these stories, while amusing, seems aimed at pushing the buttons of those sensitive flowers who are easily upset by Linus' grumpy remarks.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

It's like churnalism about P.U.T.I.N. in this respect. Or ¡TRUMP! for that matter.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Yeah, you really need to spin the things that TRUMP says to make him sound stupid....

2. NonSSL-Login
        Thumb Down

Mentioning Trump or Hillary in a technical is the new version of Godwins law.

DON'T DO IT FFS!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Mentioning Trump or Hillary in a technical is the new version of Godwins law.

DON'T DO IT FFS!"

Who appointed you as chief comment Nazi?

Seriously you're as bad as Hitler.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You know Goodwin's Law isn't an actual law, right?

2. beerfuelled
      Linux

This outburst seems surprisingly restrained for Linus...

3. imanidiot Silver badge
      Holmes

Joke ahead

No shit, Shirley.

It's exactly the style we expect from the Reg

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do some people feel the need to eff and jeff in public rants, some see the penguin wrangler as a great man - to me the word C@{k just springs to mind

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well fuck me ! Kernel bugs, never seen any of those before.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Kernel bugs, never seen any of those before."

I've never actually had a kernel panic using Linux.

Windows, not quite the same experience.

1. Tom 7

Kernel panics is easy

Just compile and install a libc from Kernel 4 on your Kernel 2.5 machine. At least that's what I think happened - was pissed* at the time!

*Intoxicated with alcohol for those across the pond where its not an ingredient in beer.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The word Catk springs to mind? Do you mean cock?

1. hplasm
        Happy

The word Catk springs to mind? Do you mean cock?

Anonymous Cock?

Ooh Matron!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For us non-native english speakers it's easier to use that kind of English language than it would be for a native speaker. Besides, we pick up how to speak English from movies (so, how not to speak, really)...

5. Jim Willsher

There are ways and means of managing a team. Good ways and bad ways. Public denigration is never a good way of boosting morale in a team. I'm sure there are a lot of young developers out there who are highly skilled and highly motivated, but whom read Linus' posts and say "fu*k, that, I'm not working with that arrogant tw*t".

1. sabroni Silver badge

Ooh, you've posting that opinion in the wrong thread. These articles always bring out the religious zealots.

1. Geoffrey W

@sabroni

Tha's really trolling for downvotes today, me owd cocksparrer. Wassup? Tha getten a codin boggart tha cant fettle? Leave t'penguins alone while theys having a panic and waddlin' round and round squawkin' at each other. Thems'll settle down soon enough an get on back t' peas getting above sticks.

2. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"I'm sure there are a lot of young developers out there who are highly skilled and highly motivated, but whom read Linus' posts and say "fu*k, that, I'm not working with that arrogant tw*t"."

Nah, don't think young people care really. Have you seen youtube comments, or heard Trump? (Who isn't young but tries to appeal to a "certain segment".)

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

> I'm sure there are a lot of young developers out there who are highly skilled and highly motivated, but whom read Linus' posts and say "fu*k, that, I'm not working with that arrogant tw*t".

Said young developers tend to be delicate little flowers with a vastly inflated sense of self importance who are going to find that life doesn't owe them anything and what Linus calls people is as nothing compared to what happens when they're being paid to do stuff and cause a multi-million dollar clusterfuck because they can't stand being criticised.

6. HieronymusBloggs

I'm slightly bemused by the comments describing Linus' posts on LKML as "public". Sure, anyone can read them if they go out of their way to subscribe or read the archives, but what proportion of the general public makes the effort? I suspect that many of the critical comments come from those who would never have noticed if it wasn't for stories like this (and therefore have little idea of the historical context leading to the remarks).

1. sabroni Silver badge

re: Sure, anyone can read them

I'm pretty sure that make them public.

1. Paul Smith

Re: re: Sure, anyone can read them

Just as anyone who picks up your wallet and takes out your payslip knows exactly how much you are being paid. Knowable to the public is not the same as publicly known.

7. Martin Summers Silver badge

It amazes me for someone who is such a perfectionist that this was allowed to slip in. Linus ranted at this dev but ultimately it was Linus who released it to the world as stable!

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Well, I don't know really how the Linux kernel development process works. It seems pretty much centred around Linus and I wonder how continuity is ensured. Maybe it's all well arranged but it raises some questions when the guy at the top of the pyramid* has to release the kernel and also is the one ranting about some bad practice.

* No idea if it really is a pyramid. Maybe an upside-down T?

1. PyLETS
        Linux

centred around Linus

True, but relatively few people run Linus kernels directly without vendor patches in practice. He's only at the "top of the pyramid" because others choose to follow his lead, and if it's a pyramid, it's one that works both ways past and future, due to various testing releases leading up to and before a Linus release and vendor and stability patches afterwards by other maintainers. In practice the rate of change (number of patch sets per release) is such that Linus has to trust subsystem maintainers to check things he no longer has time to do himself.

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

RE: Martin Summers

" it was Linus who released it to the world as stable!"

'stable' as in contains a certain amount of horse shit

3. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

> It amazes me for someone who is such a perfectionist that this was allowed to slip in

My WAG* would be that Linus doesn't personally pore over every single line of code. More likely there are several "grades" of dev - with the best and most trusted allowed to submit their own code with little light handed oversight; while at the other extreme, there are devs (notably from the Freedesktop.org camp, see previous stories on Linus's rants) who don't get anything in without someone more trustworthy having vetted it.

* Wild Ar*ed Guess

4. Geoffrey W

Then he should man up and call himself a fucking twat too for letting it through. An if he didn't check it himself then he should call himself a stupid fucker for delegating the task to a fucking twat. What a dribbling wanker!

[Pardon my french - channeling Linus]

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

"ultimately it was Linus who released it to the world as stable!"

And it was Linus who admitted that, apologised for it and is dealing with the fallout - and unlike some people or organisations I can think of, he did so as soon as he discovered it rather than trying to hide it or slip out an unannounced bugfix.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like