back to article IBM punts devs to HCL

IBM has appointed HCL, the Indian tech outsourcing giant, to take over development of several middleware software brands, including Tivoli Workload Scheduler and a bunch of Rational products. The deal sees an unspecified number of IBM developers and support staff transferred to HCL (PDF). ® IBM Headquarters, Armonk, NY

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The End?

Is this the beginning of the end for the venerable company?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: The End?

Nah, that started years and years ago...

Yes, you've got to change and adapt in order to survive. But you've also got to remain true to yourself, to the very things that allowed you to grow in the first place. But that takes, amongst other things, a good portion of humility.

Any company whose management's core cpability is spouting BS is in trouble.

Any company whose management is believing their own BS is toast.

2. a_yank_lurker

Re: The End?

Its Bitsy Morons have been shaky for decades. They did not adjust very well to the PC revolution or the Internet. They have hung on mostly by inertia of the old farts. I can not think of anything they have done including Watson that was innovative in decades.

2. Frank N. Stein

I reckon anyone getting offers to bail, might want to seriously consider them.

3. Randy Hudson

Is HCL an acronym?

What's up with companies that use initials as their name, but don't want to share with anyone what they mean?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is HCL an acronym?

HCL stands for hydrochloric acid.

IBM means International Business Machines.

Thanks. Cpt. Obvious speaking.

1. a_yank_lurker

"HCL stands for hydrochloric acid." F for chemistry hydrochloric acid is HCl, you had hydrogen, carbon, and a new element (L).

2. FrankAlphaXII

It means Hindustan Computers Limited. No idea why they use their initials instead but someone from a Marketing consultancy probably told them it was a good idea in the 1980's.

1. a_yank_lurker

Saying HCL is less likely to tell the unwashed masses their jobs are being shipped to India and they will be unemployed very soon.

4. Grunt #1

Daisy, daisy ....

IBM > HCL > HAL9000 ?.

They did great things in computing, I wish I knew what they do now.

IBM staff should use their voting rights at the AGM to ask the right questions.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like