back to article Salesforce asks Europe to stop Microsoft buying LinkedIn after itself trying to buy LinkedIn

Salesforce has called on the European Commission to block Microsoft's acquisition of LinkedIn. A widely circulated statement from Salesforce Chief Legal Officer Burke Norton says “By gaining ownership of LinkedIn's unique dataset of over 450 million professionals in more than 200 countries, Microsoft will be able to deny …

1. toughluck

Sour grapes

It doesn't apply in case of linkedin, but it's interesting to see how this plays out. If the EC agrees with Salesforce, it would mean that you could potentially run a company to the ground out of spite if they didn't let you buy them out before, or destroy your competition by preventing a merger where the resulting company would be a realistic threat.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Sour grapes

I can't see the commission following this argument at all: Microsoft is not currently in the HR business, plenty of other platforms exist.

Sounds like poor PR from Salesforce perhaps as part of a phoney war to buy failed social network business, Twitter. Or bidding up its own price prior to being bought by Oracle.

2. Hans 1
      WTF?

Re: Sour grapes

>t would mean that you could potentially run a company to the ground out of spite if they didn't let you buy them out before

I think salesforce are desperately trying to save linkedin ... if MS takes them over, they are dead wood ... only the MS fanboys will stay on it ... look at yammer ... dead.

The funny thing is, if the EC steps up against the acquisition, as MS says, other jurisdictions have already agreed ... it is goona be tricky for MS to get out of that mess ... perfect timing on Salesforces' part ... and no, no fanboy here, salesforce software is crap, they are the proof their software is crap, missing targets and writing red every quarter ...

2. frank ly

But, but ....

I signed up to LinkedIn using a Hotmail address. Should I be worried, relieved, disinterested, confused ....? Let's face it; you don't sign up to services like LinkedIn using a 'serious' email address.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: But, but ....

Sadly many do, and also give <insert parasite> other people's email and personal details too.

2. F0rdPrefect
      Happy

Re: But, but ....

"Let's face it; you don't sign up to services like LinkedIn using a 'serious' email address."

You do if you want to get work from it.

Which I have.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Mushroom

LinkedIn

They should be prosecuted for encouraging (new signings especially) to share their address books to LinkedIn. They then spam people.

Most of these so called "social media" companies certainly break the intention of EU data protection.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ohm yes, that reminds me ..

.. to close my LinkedIn account.

Nearly forgot, which shows just how important it is to me ..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like