back to article Business to be given more scope to quit crap broadband contracts

UK businesses are to receive more accurate data on broadband speeds before signing up to a contract, under a voluntary code coming into force from Ofcom today. Under the move, customers will also be able to exit their contract at any point if speeds fall below a minimum guaranteed level. The plans are to be run under a …

1. ARGO

Understanding English is no longer a requirement for a spokesman?

"It’s impossible to underestimate how much this matters"

So it doesn't matter at all then.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This happened...

The chain of stores I worked for got a new internet contract so they could play youtube videos and demonstrate social media services to customers... guess which service the provider blocked/throttled so as to encourage proactive office work?

As it was contracted, the problem continued for over 2 years. I assume they changed contracts now, but I'm out so not my worry.

3. heyrick Silver badge

"Under the move, customers will also be able to exit their contract at any point if speeds fall below a minimum guaranteed level."

Beware what the "guaranteed" part is. Orange France had a utility to fine tune your connection and if you had 2mbit line then it would kick in if the data rate was less than about 1.4mbit. The last time I used it, the guaranteed minimum was...zero. In other words, the tool is now pretty useless. :-/

I rather suspect any sort of minimum in the small print was quietly taken out back and shot in the head...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like