back to article Surprise! Leading 4-socket server vendor isn’t Dell or HPE

Gartner gave the 4-socket server market lead to a surprising vendor in its recent worldwide server market report*. Huawei is telling everyone it's the 4-socket server number 1: “Huawei scored a year-on-year (2015 Q2 and 2016 Q2) growth rate of 150.17 per cent with its x86 4-socket server shipment volume, which ranked first in …

1. From the States

And the Chinese are known for being truthful, of course.

No reason to doubt their numbers, right?

1. teknopaul

Re: And the Chinese are known for being truthful, of course.

That is such blatant racism.

1. Ammaross Danan
        Headmaster

Re: And the Chinese are known for being truthful, of course.

Actually, he was calling into question the reputation of China as a country given recent news and all (which btw has nothing to do with individual organizations in said country). Perhaps your assumption of it being a jab at Asians (or at least those living in an area that could be considered "Chinese") that was the more racist act? Racism on the brain perhaps.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

4 socket Servers?

That will make MS Licensing very interested (See yesterdays post on Server 2016)

3. pyite

Quad socket servers are terrible, though

NUMA is a 4 letter word for a reason. I can't imagine the pain involved in trying to get consistently good performance from an 8- or 16- socket server. Is there a way other than NUMA?

1. Alistair

Re: Quad socket servers are terrible, though

@pyite

Dont use intel.

8 socket 4 core AMDs (HP DL9xx series as I recall) when I built them. Oddly it was that the MBs didn't support enough ram to do what we really wanted (at the time) - but since they were cell based I believe we got the opportunity to upgrade after I was off the project.....

Ran like the wind.

2. Roo
      Windows

Re: Quad socket servers are terrible, though

"Is there a way other than NUMA?"

NUMA is a consequence of real world physics. The only boxes that dodge that issue are ones that don't share memory and ones that slow memory access down to the slowest (old/cheap SMP boxes). FWIW accessing DRAM on a single core box hasn't taken uniform time since fast page mode became the norm (early 90s) either.

In terms of other ways: Re-architect your software to stop requiring threads & big address spaces (Java apps tend to operate in this mode) - and stock up on single socket low-core count boxes with huge caches.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why should HPE and Dell care if Huawei supplants them?

So long as they aren't taking away markets that HPE & Dell were selling in before, but rather taking market share away from Chinese vendors in the "others" list or capturing growth in China that HPE and Dell never had a chance at grabbing?

If customers in Europe that are buying Dell or HPE today start buying Huawei, I agree that would be a concern, but AFAIK Huawei's growth is mostly domestic. I'm sure Dell and HPE would like to sell more in China, but the Chinese government is making that more difficult and is going to encourage domestic vendors over US vendors for multiple reasons.

1. pyite

Re: Why should HPE and Dell care if Huawei supplants them?

I can only speak to one fairly sizable account, but the government is requiring them to cut way back on HP purchases in favor of local vendors like Quanta.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why should HPE and Dell care if Huawei supplants them?

Yes, but that's a problem that would exist whether or not a vendor like Huawei could become large enough to supplant HPE/Dell. If they are still way ahead but the "others" category grows and grows because of a lot of small Chinese vendors at 1%, the problem is the same for them. The concern isn't Huawei getting big, but HPE & Dell becoming smaller due to factors outside their control.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chinese server vendors???

eh, don't all the servers, even HP's and Dell's, come from China anyways?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Chinese server vendors???

From my experience many of the Dell/HP/Fujitsu et al. pro workstations/servers use the same vendor's motherboard (Tyan is quite popular), albeit with a vendor specific skinned bios that identifies the motherboard a Dell xyz rather than a Tyan abc, even though Tyan's name and model numbers are what is printed on to the motherboard.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like